CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Diesel scrappage scheme could be here 'in months'

Member Number
    Motorhome
    09 Fiat Ducato 2.3 Swift Mondial RL

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Quote Originally Posted by IanH View Post
    Electric will only be even close to practical when there's enough spare electricity to charge them.

The Greeniots have managed to do a double shoot in the foot, by closing perfectly viable power stations, replacing them with moronic renewables, then, just in time, electric cars come along with no spare electricity to charge them!!!!

Well done Greeniots!!!
    I think I read somewhere all the major manufacturers were getting in on the installation of charge points as it wasn't happening fast enough for them.

Don't worry there will be plenty of electric for charging points when the Gov has control of electric supplies to households through smart meters and can be prioritised to where they say.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Hymer B544
    Electric will only be even close to practical when there's enough spare electricity to charge them.

The Greeniots have managed to do a double shoot in the foot, by closing perfectly viable power stations, replacing them with moronic renewables, then, just in time, electric cars come along with no spare electricity to charge them!!!!

Well done Greeniots!!!
    would you care for me to put some facts in a reply which will show who the idiot is????

edit......well done morons.
    The less you want the more you live .

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Mercedes 207D

Well done Greeniots!!!
    I agree,it's not going to happen quickly,but it will happen,the problems will be sorted and we can look forward to a cleaner future. It's easy to come up with reasons why it can't work,but people are coming up with solutions all the time,more efficient panels and storage for starters,but most importantly I believe it's the will of the people at the heart of it all,very few people IMO would vote for maintaining the status quo.
    And I REALLY want to drive one of these...

How Tesla Accelerates So Fast - P100D 0-60 Quickest in the World
    668,the neighbour of the beast.

IanH Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
    I agree,it's not going to happen quickly,but it will happen,the problems will be sorted and we can look forward to a cleaner future. It's easy to come up with reasons why it can't work,but people are coming up with solutions all the time,more efficient panels and storage for starters,but most importantly I believe it's the will of the people at the heart of it all,very few people IMO would vote for maintaining the status quo.
    And I REALLY want to drive one of these...

How Tesla Accelerates So Fast - P100D 0-60 Quickest in the World
    Home charging station 11Kw
    Public charging station 50Kw How much will you pay for that??????????
    Tesla supercharger 150Kw!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The car may well accelerate fast, but there's a good chance your wallet will empty faster!!!!

I have an OWL in my house, gives me instantaneous readings of exactly how much electricity I am using. WORST case, kettle and tumble drier simultaneously, circa 4Kw

Home charging station 11Kw, not that far away from 3 x my WORST case!!!

Yes it may happen, and perhaps will. The next thing you need to look for is a new source of LITHIUM, BTW!

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Hymer S700 (1992)
    A company in Newton Aycliffe has an HGV fleet that runs on LPG. Not small vans but big articulated trucks, so some industry plays are opting out of diesel already. This company however makes fuel tanks for the major truck manufactures.

I have seen other trucks claiming to run on other gasses on the road.

Member Number
    Home charging station 11Kw
    Public charging station 50Kw How much will you pay for that??????????
    Tesla supercharger 150Kw!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The car may well accelerate fast, but there's a good chance your wallet will empty faster!!!!

I have an OWL in my house, gives me instantaneous readings of exactly how much electricity I am using. WORST case, kettle and tumble drier simultaneously, circa 4Kw

Home charging station 11Kw, not that far away from 3 x my WORST case!!!

Yes it may happen, and perhaps will. The next thing you need to look for is a new source of LITHIUM, BTW!

Google image ..."Lithium mine"

lithium mine - Google Search

Beautifully eco isn't it .......;-)

IanH Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by John Thompson View Post
    A company in Newton Aycliffe has an HGV fleet that runs on LPG. Not small vans but big articulated trucks, so some industry plays are opting out of diesel already. This company however makes fuel tanks for the major truck manufactures.

I have seen other trucks claiming to run on other gasses on the road.
    Can Diesel engines be converted to run on LPG?

I wondered about this when you posted it?

Member Number
    Motorhome
    none
    Well, going by the quick degeneration of the thread, there seems to be plenty of hot air as yet unharnessed

Batteries are likely on the way to the masses, but they have some biiiiiig issues to get around before then. Outright headline performance ain't going to be an issue, look at the TT zero bikes and how they have come on in the last few years compared to the petrol bikes (albeit single laps still). I think it's going to be the more general/mundane practicalities that are the problem.

Even with quick charging it's hard to envisage a charge taking less than half an hour. So assuming (yes im getting way ahead of things here) you were looking at something akin to ideally having all cars in the future running on batteries, and working on a, say 5 min, turnaround time at a petrol station as a comparison, you'd want significantly more charge points than petrol pumps to avoid several hour queues.

Obviously it'll be gradual, but it does get a little circular in that not many will go electric without the infrastructure to support it. But, the investment in the infrastructure will be slow without a demonstration that it will be used. I think that is the big question mark. And, people ain't generally great with change, so there's a real inertia there.

I do also wonder what the knock on effect will be to selling the cars. I think Tesla have been looking at, or possibly already operating, an 8 year guarantee. However, given the substantial expense of changing the batteries when they do go I'd have thought the demand and/or sale price would be an issue. I know engines go kaput all the time, but I suspect the quality control that makes batteries so good may also be a slight Achilles heel. Once the data comes in on when each type of battery set starts failing in the real world it may generate a perceived cut-off point for each type of vehicle, beyond which it becomes a financial issue......

Say the data demonstrates that a battery pack on a certain vehicle lasts between 6 and 8 years before needing to be swapped. New car owners will likely not be able to sell after maybe 5 years without potentially needing to drop enough off the price that a 2nd hand buyer would have a battery covered.

As I say, just some musings on the potential day to day issues as I think the performance will likely be far less of a problem.

Edit:- charging point costs is another issue, they appear to vary from circa 1.50 per hour to around 8 for a half hour fast charge depending on the installer, the local authority etc.
    Last edited by hextal; 13-02-2017 at 20:34.

Member Number
    Can Diesel engines be converted to run on LPG?

I wondered about this when you posted it?
    lpg

IanH Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mistericeman View Post
    Well.......................yes...........but!
    Still burning diesel for the majority of the power, just using the LPG to make for, perhaps, better efficiency?

Have I misunderstood?

If not you now need 2 fuel tanks and two refuels at different pumps?

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread Information