CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Diesel scrappage scheme could be here 'in months'

Member Number

Diesel scrappage scheme could be here 'in months'

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Diesel scrappage scheme could be here 'in months'

Diesel scrappage scheme could be launched 'within months' | | Honest John

A scrappage scheme for diesel cars could be introduced within months to lower emissions and improve air quality - a move that threatens to take thousands of future classics off the road. The move would see drivers given cash for trading in their diesels, similar to the Government-backed scheme that revived flagging new car sales in 2009 after the credit crunch.

The previous 'bangers for cash' initiative saw 392,000 vehicles crushed in return for a discount on a brand new car. Itís not the first time a similar scheme has been suggested for oil burners. Former Mayor of London Boris Johnson called for a diesel scrappage scheme in 2014 following an air quality report.

But while media sources have continued to report the story, the Department for Transport denies such a scheme is on the way.

According to the Telegraph, transport secretary Chris Grayling reportedly told industry experts that he supports plans for a diesel scrappage scheme during a private meeting earlier this month, but that it must be properly targeted.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Lunar Premier H622

It is a no go

Consider the vast number of
    Modern Coaches
    Very heavy lorries
    Large Food delivery lorries
    Medium and up delivery vans
    Medium to small delivery vans
    Motorhomes
    Luxury diesel cars

Need I go on.....

Whilst petrol engines have got much better..
    Dumping young to middle aged diesels is I think not an option.
    Also what will happen to the "diesel lake" that will thus be created ?

I am not worried by the time it may/will be implemented I will need a new vehicle anyway !

Member Number
    Motorhome
    50 foot Hobby
    Hence the terminology. Diesel CARS.

Diesel engines are here to stay for a long time yet.
    Any product you care to think of depends on diesel trucks, lorries, ships etc for transportation, even aviation fuel is delivered by diesel power.

IanH Guest
    It more or less HAS to be cars only, UKPLC is utterly dependent on the diesel engine for virtually everything else.

If you have a PVC or more or less any other recent motorhome it is on either the whole van or the chassis/cab from the same van basis
    They cannot stop vans so are unlikely to worry about van conversions, albeit most are registered as motorhomes. Except the very smallest, virtually none are likely to be registered as cars.

With regard to access to cities, double parking fees etc, we have one major power....................don't go those who don't want us, and, therefore, don't spend any money there.................Simples!!!!

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Chausson flash 510
    Quote Originally Posted by IanH View Post
    It more or less HAS to be cars only, UKPLC is utterly dependent on the diesel engine for virtually everything else.

If you have a PVC or more or less any other recent motorhome it is on either the whole van or the chassis/cab from the same van basis
    They cannot stop vans so are unlikely to worry about van conversions, albeit most are registered as motorhomes. Except the very smallest, virtually none are likely to be registered as cars.

With regard to access to cities, double parking fees etc, we have one major power....................don't go those who don't want us, and, therefore, don't spend any money there.................Simples!!!!
    Hardly a 'major power' in cities . I use my van to go everywhere , remote rural , small villages , small towns and major cities . Can't see my not turning up in Paris , Barcelona etc affecting the local economy !
    Unfortunately we won't have a choice

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Mercedes 207D
    If they really want to make a difference,the scheme should only be applied to people willing to buy electric cars,although it may need to wait a year or two for manufacturers to get more on the forecourts.The Tesla 3 is due soon,at 35k it's a bit pricey for most,but I'm sure cheaper ones will be in the pipeline along with more infrastructure. It seems silly to take diesels off the road,just to replace them with other fossil burners,when for the sake of another year or two,electric will get more practical and available.
    668,the neighbour of the beast.

Member Number
    At the end of the day....
    A.
    It's unlikely to happen overnight (and even then with only certain vehicles being affected)
    B.
    No one is going to hold a gun against anyone's head to force them to sell (It'll likely as not be an incentivised scheme)

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Eura Mobil Integra
    I hope it happens soon.... cos I don't know how much longer my old Diesel Fiat Stilo will hang on.
    Currently, on we buy any car, I was offered £42

Member Number
    Motorhome
    IVECO 75 E17 SELF BUILD
    It seems the whole scheme would once again only benefit those with enough income or spare cash to be able to afford a brand new vehicle no doubt only one of the Hybrids or full electric which are no doubt very overpriced in the beginning to account for the subsidies.

IanH Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
    If they really want to make a difference,the scheme should only be applied to people willing to buy electric cars,although it may need to wait a year or two for manufacturers to get more on the forecourts.The Tesla 3 is due soon,at 35k it's a bit pricey for most,but I'm sure cheaper ones will be in the pipeline along with more infrastructure. It seems silly to take diesels off the road,just to replace them with other fossil burners,when for the sake of another year or two,electric will get more practical and available.
    Electric will only be even close to practical when there's enough spare electricity to charge them.

The Greeniots have managed to do a double shoot in the foot, by closing perfectly viable power stations, replacing them with moronic renewables, then, just in time, electric cars come along with no spare electricity to charge them!!!!

Well done Greeniots!!!

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information