CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Motorhome Parking Petition

Member Number:

Motorhome Parking Petition

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    I have just come across this petition about Motorhome Parking. Maybe it is on here, but I have missed it and the numbers are going up!
    create allocated overnight parking areas for motorhomes & campers across the uk - Petitions
    Tramping the Dream, Chasing Rainbows, Enjoying the Pot of Sunshine, and sometimes, just scootering around!
    Graham
    Likes - ptp, time4t, Minisorella liked this post

Member Number:
    Again a not very well worded petition. There are lots of places to park overnight but in most you are not permitted to occupy the vehicle. Are they asking for Parking Places? or Aire type provision with or without services?
    Likes - ptp, trixie88, DavyC, ivecotrucker liked this post

Member Number:
    Quote Originally Posted by John Thompson View Post
    Again a not very well worded petition. There are lots of places to park overnight but in most you are not permitted to occupy the vehicle. Are they asking for Parking Places? or Aire type provision with or without services?
    To be honest John, whatever is better than nothing!
    12 new signatures in the last half hour!
    Tramping the Dream, Chasing Rainbows, Enjoying the Pot of Sunshine, and sometimes, just scootering around!
    Graham
    Likes - ptp, trixie88 liked this post

Member Number:
    Yes, it's the same one from a few weeks ago.

The main point, as I see it, is that: "At 10,000 signatures, government will respond to this petition" and, I hope, that at the least the govt will respond with reasons why these things can not be done.

I think that a parliamentary debate is guaranteed if signatures reach 100,000 which I think is an impossible target. I'd be happy to see 10,000 and a govt response of any kind. Any statement will be better than official silence - or the lies we routinely receive from authority.

Let's get to 10,000 and not bother too much about whether the petition has a chance of success or how vague or badly worded it is. A govt response is a success. Gives us a basis for future negotiations.

Member Number:
    Did it last time .

Member Number:
    Quote Originally Posted by maureenandtom View Post
    Yes, it's the same one from a few weeks ago.

The main point, as I see it, is that: "At 10,000 signatures, government will respond to this petition" and, I hope, that at the least the govt will respond with reasons why these things can not be done.

I think that a parliamentary debate is guaranteed if signatures reach 100,000 which I think is an impossible target. I'd be happy to see 10,000 and a govt response of any kind. Any statement will be better than official silence - or the lies we routinely receive from authority.

Let's get to 10,000 and not bother too much about whether the petition has a chance of success or how vague or badly worded it is. A govt response is a success. Gives us a basis for future negotiations.
    From experience it will be lucky to get more than 1 or 2 thousand signatures. Been there tried it and backed others.

The reply is that it is up to Local Authorities not central Government to provide or enable the provision of such activities. Local Authorities hide behind the provisions of the Caravan Sites and Control of Development Act 1960 (amended 1968).

I have contacted over 400 Local Authorities on Parking provision as well as overnight provision. Few have any interest and most will simply quote their existing Traffic Regulation Orders, banning, the occupation of vehicles in parking places, Camping, Preparing or eating food in parked vehicles or sleeping in parked vehicles. Other will state there are plenty of caravan sites available in their area.

There is no real desire in the majority of motorhome/campervan owners, to get off the backside and do anything about this.
    Last edited by John Thompson; 20-03-2017 at 14:25.
    Likes - ivecotrucker liked this post

Member Number:
    Pointless as its local councils that decide this kind of thing not Governments. Efforts would be better spent lobbying local councils and providing proof of concept. (if there are any working Aire success stories in the UK that is). Many have tried and failed though and its a real uphill struggle.
    Likes - vindiboy liked this post

Member Number:
    Quote Originally Posted by barryd View Post
    Pointless as its local councils that decide this kind of thing not Governments. Efforts would be better spent lobbying local councils and providing proof of concept. (if there are any working Aire success stories in the UK that is). Many have tried and failed though and its a real uphill struggle.
    There are 6 continental style Aires with borne services all in Northern Ireland. Lytham St Annes has parking provision and disposal facilities off site, Canterbury has provision on the Park and Ride, and some car park provision in Dorset. Glen Shee Ski Area has provision in Scotland. There is some new provision being provided in the Loch Lomond and Trosaachs National Park, although this comes with restrictions on parking elsewhere in the park.

I have quoted these to the authorities, but it will be a slow process to get more to follow. It has to be a local effort, not simply sticking your name on a petition and forgetting about it, or waiting for others to do the work for you.

It costs about 50,000 to provide a separate parking Aire with services (Site works etc). A Borne terminal alone costs 5,000 plus the installation and maintenance. These figures obtain using the Freedom Of Information Act from the Authorities in Northern Ireland. Before anyone says it can be provided at less expense UK Planning regulations will not allow other options. Many car parks have covenants on them limiting their use.
    Last edited by John Thompson; 20-03-2017 at 14:49.
    Likes - barryd liked this post

Member Number:
    Quote Originally Posted by John Thompson View Post
    From experience it will be lucky to get more than 1 or 2 thousand signatures. Been there tried it and backed others.
    6419 sigs at 1545 hrs, so looking good for 10000
    Graham

Member Number:
    Quote Originally Posted by grath View Post
    6419 sigs at 1545 hrs, so looking good for 10000
    Well done then. It may happen, but I can forecast the response, as quoted above. You need 100,000 for a debate on the matter. There are at the last count, 250,000 vehicles registered as Motor Caravans. The majority of these are used as motorised touring caravan moving from authorised site to authorised site, with little or no interest in other provision. The big clubs have a vested interest. They speak directly to Government, so expect no support there.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information