Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wi-Fi Aerial / Booster

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Elldis

Range

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Quote Originally Posted by hairydog View Post
    I bought one of these. It is brilliant. It came with software, but I just plugged it in to my Windows 10 laptop. No need to switch off the existing wifi - this adds an extra connection. I bought it for something else, but may use it in the motorhome.
    1000M USB Wireless WiFi Outdoor Waterproof Adapter Antenna Booster 802.11b/g/n | eBay
    Just ordered one...happy if it extends reception by few hundred yards !! Maja

Member Number
    Motorhome
    see picture
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnnygm7lsi View Post
    Looks pretty good for the price, does it have a micro usb connection, do you need a micro to usb 2/3 adapter to connect to the laptop.
    It has a standard full size USB plug on the end of quite a long lead.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    ADRIA IZOLA S687 SPG
    It has a standard full size USB plug on the end of quite a long lead.
    Cheers for that, I`ll give it try.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Globecar 636SB
    I bought one of these. It is brilliant. It came with software, but I just plugged it in to my Windows 10 laptop. No need to switch off the existing wifi - this adds an extra connection. I bought it for something else, but may use it in the motorhome.
    1000M USB Wireless WiFi Outdoor Waterproof Adapter Antenna Booster 802.11b/g/n | eBay
    I purchased a directional antenna from the same seller, am now trying to get my money back for a duff item,looking at the 44 negative reviews in last month looks like I will be struggling.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    see picture
    Quote Originally Posted by colinmd View Post
    I purchased a directional antenna from the same seller, am now trying to get my money back for a duff item,looking at the 44 negative reviews in last month looks like I will be struggling.
    Never mess with iffy sellers. Contact them to let them know the item is unsatisfactory, give them a day or to to sort it out. Then escalate the case with ebay. They will refund you. If you let them, sellers spin it out till you give up.
    My experience is that this item was well packed, delivered very fast and works perfectly.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Burstner Delphin Performance T821
    The item shown by hairydog was once marketed as the Solwise Rocket (I bought one) but was discontinued a few years ago. It looks like someone is selling a copy of it. It does increase range but is nowhere near as good as the more expensive ones sold by companies like Motorhomewifi.
    My dream job is to be a sound engineer. I don't know why, I just want to - want to.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    see picture
    Quote Originally Posted by maingate View Post
    The item shown by hairydog was once marketed as the Solwise Rocket (I bought one) but was discontinued a few years ago. It looks like someone is selling a copy of it. It does increase range but is nowhere near as good as the more expensive ones sold by companies like Motorhomewifi.
    Really? Have you done a side-by-side comparison? If so, what is the difference in performance, precisely? If not, what do you base that assessment on?

Member Number
    Got on of those when it was sold by Solwise as the rocket, also got a planar antenna off ebay can't remember cost but don't think it was much. Mine was really basic 2 plates around 4 inches square, fitted it to a small tripod. I have tried both alongside each other & the planar one easily outperform the the rocket but it is directional. When in Spain a few years ago I was on the La Manga strip I was picking up signals from hotels over 5 kms away, had the hotel name on the wifi & searched for it on the GPS. Good strong signal but was password protected.

BTW you can boost the rocket type aerial by fitting a parabolic reflector making it directional made out of card & aluminium foil DIY WIFI Antenna Reception Booster I made it double the height basically modified the template on card so it was A4 in height with 2 places to locate on the aerial.

Just found an easier one to make out of a coke bottle UPDATED !!!! Cheap and Easy WIFI Antenna Signal Booster That Is Better and Quicker Than the Paper Ones !!!: 9 Steps
    Last edited by Kontiki; 19-05-2017 at 18:10.
    Ed

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Elldis
    Hmmm, I think some people are mixing the directional one with the rocket shaped one. Could be another week till mine arrives (long way from China LOL) can't wait to see if me 13 quid was wasted or not !! Not sure if the "coke bottle...silver foil enhancement plan" will blow me street-cred LOL 😂 Anyway, was gonna try getting pub wifi when on a Britstop....hey ho....will post my experiences...Maja

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Globecar 636SB
    An update.
    The item I purchased clearly stated it was for winXP/vista/7 only and not compatible with win10, and it came with a mini cd with driver and instructions to install driver before plugging in, and if inadvertently plugging in first to cancel any auto install.
    Being very busy and then away it was 'chucked in a corner' for couple of weeks, eventually I started playing with it again. First I plugged it into win10 laptop and let it auto install, this worked ok, so then I went back to my win7 netbook, uninstalled driver, plugged in antenna and let it auto install, choosing 'find driver online' this also worked ok. My conclusion is there is nothing wrong with the antenna just the driver and instructions.
    I believe it may also be possible to set up the netbook as a wifi hotspot, but I'll try that another day.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information