CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Height barriers

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Van died of Tin Worm so back to the tent for a while

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Quote Originally Posted by Byronic View Post
    You might believe that it's the loudest voices that usually hold sway, I believe it's where the most votes are going to come from.
    Council officials are not elected so don't give a stuff about votes. "Parking" is staffed by council officials and officious they most certainly are.

Richard

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Swift Sundance 530L
    You might believe that it's the loudest voices that usually hold sway, I believe it's where the most votes are going to come from.
    The loudest voices are not from local residents and neither is from where the votes are - the public. In every case that I've been involved with, not that many - ten or a dozen perhaps - the councils involved have always cited outrage from the public complaining, usually, about waste disposal. The public complaints have been shown, time after time not to exist. I've itemised several councils often and given statistics obtained under the FoI.

It's not always easy to find out why we get banned but, on several occasions, it has been because of the private business interests of powerful councillors. Sometimes it has been because of complaints from business interests in the leisure industry. I can give examples of both. This is where the loudest voices are.

It is never in response to public demand. (Edit - only one that I can think of - a beach car park in Cornwall)

Remember too, that it is not an either/or situation ever. These bans on motorhomes come from councils who, otherwise, bleat about decreasing social care; closing libraries and saving money. These bans cost money and councils seem to find it easy to find the money for them.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Benimar Junior 5000
    Quote Originally Posted by REC View Post
    It is a real problem that there are frequently no warnings that a car park has a height barrier! We drove round Maidstone one evening and gave up after several scares turning in to be confronted with a barrier!
    The car park on Sittingborne Road has an area that you can park in then the main car park has height barriers.Look for the bus park sign.
    sent from my brillo pad

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Benimar Junior 5000
    The reason councils put up barriers is the stop the travelling community, gypsies, for stopping there. Because of our PC world they would not admit to that.
    sent from my brillo pad

Member Number
    Motorhome
    mitsubishi canter mini artic
    Quote Originally Posted by Hondaboy View Post
    The reason councils put up barriers is the stop the travelling community, gypsies, for stopping there. Because of our PC world they would not admit to that.
    are you not a traveller when travelling in your camper ?
    i am.
    uk councils are really just usually run by playground bullies . possibly then later become headmasters etc ,they are so used to bullying they dont know they are doing it .

Member Number
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbear View Post
    Council officials are not elected so don't give a stuff about votes. "Parking" is staffed by council officials and officious they most certainly are.

Richard
    Matters of contention and public concern are put in front of the council in order to make democratic based decisions. I'm not writing about parking wardens or traffic attendant employees even the ones with Nazis tendencies!

And in response to another post. If we really are to believe it's big business councillors and leisure industry businesses that pull the strings, and thereby get their way and not the concerned member groups of the general public, then what's the point in trying to change anything, it's a fait du accompli.
    That's my last word on the matter I certainly won't waste anymore time on flogging a dead horse

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Matters of contention and public concern are put in front of the council in order to make democratic based decisions. I'm not writing about parking wardens or traffic attendant employees even the ones with Nazis tendencies!

And in response to another post. If we really are to believe it's big business councillors and leisure industry businesses that pull the strings, and thereby get their way and not the concerned member groups of the general public, then what's the point in trying to change anything, it's a fait du accompli.
    That's my last word on the matter I certainly won't waste anymore time on flogging a dead horse
    Did you ever see a program on TV called "Yes Minister". It was a comedy but did give a real idea of how government works. How the elected officials are so often bamboozled by the unelected ones. How things are driven by personal gain and protecting ones self. Do you really believe that there are no powerful business men protecting their own interests in council meetings. Do you believe that the unelected officials do not look for the easiest answer as opposed to the best answer.

Please don't think that you are wasting your time as it is possible to change things. Neither sort of official will risk a public outcry (think MP's and expense accounts) so if enough people start to take an interest in a given subject and there is a risk of the press getting hold of it in a negative manner?

Richards

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Quote Originally Posted by Hondaboy View Post
    If you go and talk to them. They will tell you exactly that and will follow by telling you how much it costs them as opposed to how much barriers cost. My answer has always been to provide somewhere for the travels and charge them for the privilege. When they fail to pay, enforce the law. Fail to pay the fine - crush their van. This is not the easy answer as you can imagine the poor children in front of the cameras as their home is crushed. Bu**er off back to your brick house would be my answer or if they where really homeless, home them. If you want to travel in this country, obey the rules or take the consequences.

Richard

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Burstner Delphin Performance T821
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbear View Post
    If you go and talk to them. They will tell you exactly that and will follow by telling you how much it costs them as opposed to how much barriers cost. My answer has always been to provide somewhere for the travels and charge them for the privilege. When they fail to pay, enforce the law. Fail to pay the fine - crush their van. This is not the easy answer as you can imagine the poor children in front of the cameras as their home is crushed. Bu**er off back to your brick house would be my answer or if they where really homeless, home them. If you want to travel in this country, obey the rules or take the consequences.

Richard
    Why not introduce the same Laws that Ireland introduced. That is the main reason why there are so many over here. They may all clear off to the EU zone, it sounds like a win win solution to me.
    My dream job is to be a sound engineer. I don't know why, I just want to - want to.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Swift Sundance 530L
    Here's a couple of real-life examples about who doesn't and who does complain:

Wyre Borough Council stated on 20 May 16 “My understanding is Mr Long referred to the complaints raised by residents with regards to overnight occupancy of vehicles”

But there were no complaints – not about motorhomes - and only two (three if you're tolerant) about Travellers: in caravans.

Good old Huttoft. The council said hundreds of complaints. The council lied. There were less than a couple of dozen for all car parks in Lincs and none of them about motorhomes. I have copies of all the non-complaints over a three year period.

Skegness (but the Borough Council not County Council). Numerous complaints. The council lied. There were none.

Burnham on Sea. Councillor Louise Parkin told the local press that the public was outraged anda complained that 90% of motorhomes discharged waste onto the street. She lied. There had been no complaints to the council or to Louise.

I could, and sometimes do, go on – lots of examples - North Yorks, East Lothian, Aberdeen, Cornwall County Coucil. Lots of them.

Here's a good example of who does complain.

Threat of legal action to council over camper van parking bay planned for Cobh | Irish Examiner

Some caravan park owners in the east Cork area took exception to the Cobh-Glanmire Municipal District creating an overnight 30-unit parking bay in Cobh.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread Information