Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Height barriers

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Lunar Premier H622

Height barriers

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Are these legal ?
    Or simply a quick way of stopping motorhomes (and others) overnighting ?

I understand the ide of not allowing commercial vehicles access to areas ..however

We tried to visit Filby broad to simply park and walk during the day.
    We turned in and were confronted by a height barrier
    and so were forced to reverse out onto the road.
    Fortunately my wife went out to stop any traffic this in itself is hazardous !
    Had I been a solo traveller !!!!! this could have resulted in a collision.
    There were no advance warnings of the height barrier.

To my mind this is a real danger.
    Then again the discrimination against motorhomes etc

Member Number
    Motorhome
    None
    B*stards !
    Self build Iveco Daily LWB 3.0 litre panel van conversion

Member Number
    Motorhome
    VW T4 Transporter PVC
    I don't know about legalities but decency dictates that there should have been a warning - a strongly worded letter to site owners methinks!

Glad you got away unscathed too!
    My van has her own blog - daenerysvan.tumblr.com

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Romahome Outlook Duo
    I stayed at Prestatyn a week ago. During the day I drove to Pensarn. Whole area of official car parks is riddled with 2m barriers. However, one decent size road seemed to run parallel to the sea so I explored. Went to a dead end at a holiday camp. However, when I turned back I found SOMEONE HAD CLOSED / LOCKED a height barrier so I could not get out.

My diddy Romahome is only just over 2m ----- but it is OVER. Bugger. Fortunately the guy (Peter) at the Holday camp shop was very obliging, drove up and unlocked the barrier for me. However, that guy is busy and I was fortunate he could be found to do the unlocking. His comment was "We get lots of travellers trying to stay"

Snod

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Herald Templar
    Every car park in East Sussex seems to have a height barrier

Member Number
    Motorhome
    citroen relay conversionish stealth camper
    It is a real problem that there are frequently no warnings that a car park has a height barrier! We drove round Maidstone one evening and gave up after several scares turning in to be confronted with a barrier!

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Pilote Galaxy 240
    We had the same problem at Bridlington South Shore car park
    You can take the girl out of Wales but you cannot take Wales out of the girl

Member Number
    Motorhome
    TEC640R
    Porthtowan, Cornwall. The height barrier to the car park has been removed. The local chat is that the Council has had it removed as a trial towards letting it be opened permanently if the Travellers do not come in. I find it a pleasing sight for the folks with MH's and Camper vans come to visit our lovely surfing cove. The only disadvantage is that "No overnighting is permitted. That is not too bad as across the village shop there is a waste piece of land where folks can stay over for the night. There is a sign saying No Parking, but it is disregarded as no one knows who put it up and the land does not belong to the Council. The main car park is a pay car park.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Adria Sonic Supreme

Ask TIC

If we want to visit a town, I ring the tourist information centre first to ask about suitable parking for our motorhome. They don't always get it right. In fact they rarely know but they usually have a good go at suggesting somewhere. The often cited reason for the high barriers is Travelers. Not our sort, of course!

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Hymer S700 (1992)
    Quote Originally Posted by jagmanx View Post
    Are these legal ?
    Or simply a quick way of stopping motorhomes (and others) overnighting ?

I understand the ide of not allowing commercial vehicles access to areas ..however

We tried to visit Filby broad to simply park and walk during the day.
    We turned in and were confronted by a height barrier
    and so were forced to reverse out onto the road.
    Fortunately my wife went out to stop any traffic this in itself is hazardous !
    Had I been a solo traveller !!!!! this could have resulted in a collision.
    There were no advance warnings of the height barrier.

To my mind this is a real danger.
    Then again the discrimination against motorhomes etc
    Unless they are across a public highway they are legal. It is illegal to gate access on a public highway. It is permissible to gate a private highway. Planning Permission is sought by Parish Councils to put barriers on their land. This only needs to be advertised locally however.
    Some Park and Ride car parks have height barriers never mind ordinary car parks.

Traffic Regulation Orders (TROs) can include a ban on particular types of vehicle. ie. those "equipped for sleeping". This is the case for all of York City car parks other than the out of town P&R sites. Penalty Notices have been issued on vehicles that could get under the 2.1m barriers and fit into a single bay simply because they were converted as campervans. Noise and disturbance was the reason given for this ban.

I agree it is discrimination. I was involved in a group fighting such matters but when push came to shove out of the thousand plus members. I found I was the only one actually doing anything. Lots of keyboard warriors, but no feet on the ground when they were needed to meet with a distant authority.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information