CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Appleby Horse Fair

Member Number
    Motorhome
    CI Euro Riviera 100

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Just one more thing to think about, I know for a fact beyond any doubt a couple of our members 100% traveller background, I know they participate in group meets etc and help other members. However they wont tell you until very comfortable that they are from a travelling background.

The reason obvious the shite and pre judgement expressed earlier ...hows about that then valued members of our community pikeys and gypos. ....How awful people are afraid to share their roots ...I hope it makes you proud !

Channa

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Swift Kontiki 640
    I see where your coming from Channa but they dont really help themselves (or us). Today I hear stories in the news about them taking over a school playing field and causing the school to go on lock down and another report of them torching a car in a car park and when the fire brigade turned up and removed the height barrier to get in they all streamed in (I heard that one second hand to be fair).

I live close to the A66 route which is just a few miles away and we do get them stopping over in the Dales. Winston just up the road is one village they stop at. I quite like to see them when they arrive to be honest. They are there now. Just half a dozen vans. There was a child with a scaled down little traditional carriage which looked very quaint. However. They often leave a mess, at Bowes I have seen them take over most of the verges and hold blooming trotting races on the main roads around the village which are just dangerous and the crime rate does rise sadly. Its easy to tell as the crime rate in these parts is next to zero. Staindrop has been badly effected in the past. Being liberal minded I would love to say good luck to them but they dont give a toss about us. I pay for the toilets and waste removal every year which in the past was a nightmare before we put out loos for them and picked up their garbage. They used to just chuck the waste in the river in Staindrop.

We as motorhomers and travellers ourselves have to abide by all sorts of rules and regs but many travellers dont seem to think or care if they apply to them. I appreciate its not easy for some of them finding places to stay etc but if you want that lifestyle which is fine the laws still apply to you and you should abide by them.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    CI Euro Riviera 100
    You might find this interesting Barry

The horse fair generates some controversy with complaints of mess being left in the town,[3] violent crime[4] and animal cruelty.[5]

The Local Authority (Eden District Council, which convenes the Multi-Agency Strategic Co-Ordinating Group to manage the official response to the fair) is required to deal with these matters, and their official sources provide a context for these controversial issues. (See below)

In 2014 there were 28 arrests at the fair, the lowest for several years (for among other things, drug use, drunkenness, and obstruction), which senior police have confirmed is not disproportionate to other large-scale public events. In 2015, this number came down further, with only 15 arrests over the whole fair, for what the police described as 'mostly low level disorder.' [6]

As regards rubbish and clean-up costs, although the trade stands leave a few tons of waste, the market field and Fair Hill are cleaned of litter the day after the fair, at no cost to the ratepayers, and within a week there is hardly a trace that a fair has been held.[7] [8] The MASCG Committee reported that improvements in provision of litter bins, signage etc. had resulted a reduction in the number of tonnes of litter from 43 tonnes to 29 tonnes. [9]

As regards animal cruelty, the RSPCA patrols the fair scrupulously, and although in 2009 Animal Aid called for the fair to be banned,[10] nevertheless the instances of cruelty are few, and they are prosecuted where they do occur. Warnings and advice are given in borderline cases, and the very great majority of horses at the fair are well looked after, well treated, and in good condition.[11] In 2016, the RSPCA stated unequivocally that although there were some welfare issues, mostly brought about by the hot weather, the Fair is a large-scale event and it is only a small minority of people who attend the fair that have little regard for animal welfare.

Whilst it perhaps doesn't pain the picture leading up and after the fair granted, the figures for the fair quite surprising

Channa

Member Number
    Motorhome
    autotrail arapaho
    Feckin Knackers are everywhere
    seamus

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Devon Conversions Tempest.
    Just happen to be watching a programme about Staffordshire police.
    Travellers camping at a National trust trust property that is an historic house used for weddings etc.
    Stayed 3 days and left the day they were due to be evicted. Considerable cost to clean up the rubbish etc they left behind.
    Also again travellers in a Frankie and Benny's refusing to pay bill for drinks and a meal after they had eaten half the meal, they said the mayonnaise had a hair in it. Police called, no hair found and they ended up paying half the bill.

Regarding Appleby, a small site near Penrith I use occasionally basically closes around the fair time after an incident a couple of years ago when a group of travellers arrived after being told there was no availability. They parked up on the small farm site refusing to leave saying there was space even though the owner stated he had booked his 5 spaces.
    The owner had to contact people who were booked and cancel their bookings. The travellers left the next day without paying.
    The most important thing is to enjoy your life - to be happy - its all that matters.

Member Number
    Quote Originally Posted by Obanboy666 View Post
    Just happen to be watching a programme about Staffordshire police.
    Travellers camping at a National trust trust property that is an historic house used for weddings etc.
    Stayed 3 days and left the day they were due to be evicted. Considerable cost to clean up the rubbish etc they left behind.
    Also again travellers in a Frankie and Benny's refusing to pay bill for drinks and a meal after they had eaten half the meal, they said the mayonnaise had a hair in it. Police called, no hair found and they ended up paying half the bill.

Regarding Appleby, a small site near Penrith I use occasionally basically closes around the fair time after an incident a couple of years ago when a group of travellers arrived after being told there was no availability. They parked up on the small farm site refusing to leave saying there was space even though the owner stated he had booked his 5 spaces.
    The owner had to contact people who were booked and cancel their bookings. The travellers left the next day without paying.
    Just seen the same thing .....

I'm sure they aren't all bad sorts,

However,
    the experiences I have had personally and local to me have always involved a swift rise in crime and a lot of cleaning up afterwards by the local council by the folks that have pitched up on local industrial estates leaving tons of detritus behind ...Scrap/rubbish AND human waste .

Frankly I couldn't care less about what someones background is OR their chosen way of life (I lived on a canal boat for over ten years)
    As long as they Just take some responsibility for not shitting on everyone elses doorstep they choose to stop on .

I've yet to pass somewhere where they have stopped and thought to myself 'Blimey how nice and tidy they have left the place ...not a gas bottle to be seen AND not a bit of human waste or tree trimmings to be seen '
    That only usually comes after the local council has spent a small fortune cleaning their mess up (Again)

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Hymer S700 (1992)
    Quote Originally Posted by mistericeman View Post
    I've yet to pass somewhere where they have stopped and thought to myself 'Blimey how nice and tidy they have left the place ...not a gas bottle to be seen AND not a bit of human waste or tree trimmings to be seen '
    That only usually comes after the local council has spent a small fortune cleaning their mess up (Again)
    While I was at college in Luton I stayed on a CL site at Speed the Plough near Barton le Clay. There was a layby on the road which I could see which was used by travellers and 90% of the time it was left as clean or cleaner than when they arrived. I observed this over a 5 month period not just a few days or weeks.

Member Number
    Quote Originally Posted by John Thompson View Post
    While I was at college in Luton I stayed on a CL site at Speed the Plough near Barton le Clay. There was a layby on the road which I could see which was used by travellers and 90% of the time it was left as clean or cleaner than when they arrived. I observed this over a 5 month period not just a few days or weeks.
    I suspect like many things in life there are many different types of folks lumped together under rather wide generic headings of 'Traveller' 'Gypsy' 'Romany'

The types of 'traveller' etc that stop in laybys or small patches of woodland etc leaving little more than a small burnt patch where they have had a fire for cooking etc and some eaten off patches of grass from horses being grazed
    are in my experience a heap different than those that congregate in large numbers on industrial estates leaving carnage behind.

From a period of living over in Hull....
    the true Romans Gypsies often referred to large sections of the so called travellers as Diddicoi (they were considered by them to be fake)

Like I said earlier... I have little concern for how others live their lives (it's a free country)
    BUT when any group have a detrimental effect on others there are bound to be problems....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information