CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Appleby Horse Fair

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Hymer S700 (1992)

Appleby Horse Fair

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Durham Police say preparations are under way to make sure visitors travelling to this year's Appleby Horse Fair can travel safely across the county.

Durham County Council is setting up temporary stop sites in Teesdale to accommodate travellers.

Six sites will be open from 26 May until 23 June on the A66, A67 and A688. Each will offer temporary toilets, refuse collection points and in some cases, a water supply for animals.

No doubt the Cumbria and N. Yorkshire Authorities will be doing the same.

Expect Laybys and other stopping places to be unavailable for the next month.
    Last edited by John Thompson; 19-05-2017 at 17:42.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Autosleepers Symbol campervan

Appleby Horse Fair

Pretend to be a gyppo & use the facilities.
    Britons were wild camping long before campsites, it's a basic human right.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    CI Euro Riviera 100
    Quote Originally Posted by spigot View Post
    Pretend to be a gyppo & use the facilities.
    Some of us don't need to pretend, I was apparently officially a traveller when I returned to the UK.....still better than a plastic wannabe weekend warrior perhaps ?

Channa

Member Number
    Frankly you would have to pay me strong money to be within a good few miles of that area when the horse fair is on.....

Having been there 40 years or so ago AND having friends that live in Appleby....

Things are drastically different these days... sadly....

Member Number
    Motorhome
    CI Euro Riviera 100
    Quote Originally Posted by mistericeman View Post
    Frankly you would have to pay me strong money to be within a good few miles of that area when the horse fair is on.....

Having been there 40 years or so ago AND having friends that live in Appleby....

Things are drastically different these days... sadly....
    In what way ?
    Channa

Member Number
    Quote Originally Posted by channa View Post
    In what way ?
    Channa
    In the way that there were a heap more 'genuine' romany/gypsy folks back then rather than the 'smash the pub up because you've run out of beer' types....
    and there was a certainly less of a clean up needed after the fair finished....
    Folks tended to be a heap more self policing...
    sign of the times in general I guess.

friends up there pretty much shut up shop and batten down the hatches till it's passed....
    unlike years ago when they allowed folks to stay for free on their land.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Autotrail Miami 740S
    Quote Originally Posted by channa View Post
    Some of us don't need to pretend, I was apparently officially a traveller when I returned to the UK.....still better than a plastic wannabe weekend warrior perhaps ?

Channa
    What on earth is a plastic wannabe weekend warrior Andrew?

Member Number
    Motorhome
    fiat ducato silver wanderer
    I could guess!

Member Number
    Motorhome
    CI Euro Riviera 100
    Quote Originally Posted by Jays View Post
    I could guess!
    Don't keep us in suspense then !!

Channa

Member Number
    Motorhome
    CI Euro Riviera 100
    Quote Originally Posted by mistericeman View Post
    In the way that there were a heap more 'genuine' romany/gypsy folks back then rather than the 'smash the pub up because you've run out of beer' types....
    and there was a certainly less of a clean up needed after the fair finished....
    Folks tended to be a heap more self policing...
    sign of the times in general I guess.

friends up there pretty much shut up shop and batten down the hatches till it's passed....
    unlike years ago when they allowed folks to stay for free on their land.
    Figures suggest otherwise, Appleby interestingly doesn't enjoy Royal Charter unlike Goose etc . Appleby attracts in the region of 10 -15000 travellers from all over the Uk the current set up dates to the mid 19th century way before our pastime, highlights of the "flashing" of horses and the 30000 visitors or so enjoy bathing the horses in the Eden .

Back to figures the police state that crime levels are no more than any other public event , and yes drunk disorderly are the majority of offences low level offences apparently the term albeit no split between travellers and visitors.

I don't doubt for a second the travelling community don't have their rogues but so do the settled community a visit to most town centres will prove that. Who and what they are is not nice it matters not who they are.

What I find strange is how people here are blatantly allowed to pour scorn on travelling folk make unjust and unwarranted comments through no more than a pre set prejudice yet if we said the same of blacks, homosexuals etc reprimand would be swift.

It gets even more perverse, people spend half the year moaning we as a community are discriminated by local authorities etc play the hard done too card yet we are as bad knocking the travellers ? Do you believe the good ones endorse the behaviour of the bad ?

Travellers traditionally use caravans (trailers is their preferred term) yet more and more since driving regs have changed are using motorhomes. Is It possible that them living all year round perhaps just perhaps have something to teach us ?

I am not traveller in the stereotypical sense of the word but how I was classed when I came back to the UK, Perhaps before your time I spent time travelling with the fairs and I know a lot of travellers ..working on caravans in the past it is a given you will come across them.

Like I said earlier good and bad, just like us, Forgive me for not liking prejudice but I extend my hate of prejudice within our community to that of travellers.

Channa

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information