CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Thread: Info on Sanday - Orkney Islands

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Lunar Champ Motorhome

Info on Sanday - Orkney Islands

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Morning all, probably a question for klaatu or Brandyman, what's the ferry to Sanday like? Do you need to leave your vehicle like the NorthLink/Pentland or can you stay with it like the Hoy/Rousay ones? Got a couple of dogs who are not very happy on ferries so it's usually an outdoor crossing for us between the mainland and Orkney whatever the weather!

Been to Orkney many, many times but only ventured to a couple of the smaller islands occasionally. Hoping to visit a few more in the near future.

Thanks

Hugh.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    nuevo
    the ferry to Sanday is a small affair and you need to leave the M/h and sit in the 'lounge' (I use the term loosely) not sure if the allow dogs in the lounge but things are usually pretty relaxed so it would probably be OK.

you could ring the office in Kirkwall 1856 872044 for a definitive answer

I was on Sanday last year - the price of the ferry is a little eye watering (80 ish I think) but the island is beautiful and most of the locals are extremely friendly - I did have a run in with one local who objected to me parking in 'her" spot

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Lunar Champ Motorhome
    Thanks for that, we'll see how it goes, will depend on the weather I think.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    nuevo
    As regards the northern isles Sanday and Westray are the only ones 'worth' visiting the others being too small to justify the expense of taking the M/h

I do however strongly recommend taking the flight to papa westray although your having dogs would make that difficult. It used to be (and nothing much changes on Orkney) that if you stayed over night the return trip was a lot cheaper I flew up on a saturday and booked into the hostel and flew back on the sunday - the saving on the flight pretty much paid for the night in the hostel.

If you do go on a saturday the pub is open and you can get fish and chips - very handy because the pub and the chippy is in the same building as the hostel!

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Rollerteam Pegaso181

Sanday

Quote Originally Posted by x19er View Post
    Morning all, probably a question for klaatu or Brandyman, what's the ferry to Sanday like? Do you need to leave your vehicle like the NorthLink/Pentland or can you stay with it like the Hoy/Rousay ones? Got a couple of dogs who are not very happy on ferries so it's usually an outdoor crossing for us between the mainland and Orkney whatever the weather!

Been to Orkney many, many times but only ventured to a couple of the smaller islands occasionally. Hoping to visit a few more in the near future.

Thanks

Hugh.
    Did you manage to get to Sanday? I'm on Orkney at the moment, will be going over in a couple of days, is it possible to wilcamp there?

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Rollerteam Pegaso181

Sanday

I'm currently on Orkney, did you manage to get to Sanday? If so is it possible to wildcamp?

Thread Information