CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Satellite or Telecoms

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Hymer Exsis t-588

Satellite or Telecoms

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    We have recently changed the MH for our all time 'keeper' and although we aren't telly addicts I wondered what to do about keeping up with the news and communicating while touring. We did think about a satellite system that could cost around 2k fitted - or cheaper for separate components and a lot of faffing around with patchy reception in Spain. However, we have decided to go down the telecoms route. We have fitted a roof mounted phone antenna and a fixed hard wired 3/4g WiFi router that takes any standard size data card, currently 3 Internet With Legs. For less than a quarter of the cost of satellite we now have reception anywhere we can get a phone signal. Yes we have to buy data cards but now roaming is included in phone bundles we think this is a good alternative. So far it works ok here but the real test will come when we head South later in the year. This also means we won't need to look for free WiFi hotspots or pay the additional site fees when we use them.
    Bd..

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Elldis
    Hi BD...what platform will you use for TV as Filmon is no longer free ? As for data sims the Spanish might start to do cheap payg unlimited ones like the Portuguese NOS 1 a day jobbie (was great) We already have an EE mifi box with 50gb a month sim...will be interesting to see how that goes with the free roaming, thing EE link with Orange abroad.....Maja

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Hymer Exsis t-588
    Quote Originally Posted by maja07 View Post
    Hi BD...what platform will you use for TV as Filmon is no longer free ? As for data sims the Spanish might start to do cheap payg unlimited ones like the Portuguese NOS 1 a day jobbie (was great) We already have an EE mifi box with 50gb a month sim...will be interesting to see how that goes with the free roaming, thing EE link with Orange abroad.....Maja
    TVcatchup is still available at the moment.
    Bd..

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Elldis
    ....or, is it right that you can pay a small monthly amount for a VPN (like Nord) and then stream TV ? Can you techs out there advise.....Maja

Member Number
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigusdickus View Post
    We have recently changed the MH for our all time 'keeper' and although we aren't telly addicts I wondered what to do about keeping up with the news and communicating while touring. We did think about a satellite system that could cost around 2k fitted - or cheaper for separate components and a lot of faffing around with patchy reception in Spain. However, we have decided to go down the telecoms route. We have fitted a roof mounted phone antenna and a fixed hard wired 3/4g WiFi router that takes any standard size data card, currently 3 Internet With Legs. For less than a quarter of the cost of satellite we now have reception anywhere we can get a phone signal. Yes we have to buy data cards but now roaming is included in phone bundles we think this is a good alternative. So far it works ok here but the real test will come when we head South later in the year. This also means we won't need to look for free WiFi hotspots or pay the additional site fees when we use them.
    Yes good idea.

How the world has changed.

About 45 years ago I left school and became an apprentice telephone engineer, telephones were just for making phone calls, but we also had telex.

Now we watch tv over the phone network.

You just have to move with the times and select the best offers as they occur.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    1996 Dethleffs Globe Trotter
    Which and antenna and router did you go for?

Regards,
    Del
    I have PMA (Positive Mental Attitude) I'm Positive, I'm Mental and now I have Attitude.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Elldis
    ....oh, meant to mention, won't need VPN if firestick works abroad ? Maja

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Coach built
    I pout mobdro on my firestick and I've also added hotpot shield as well just in case I can't get UK TV abroad . I also use 3 network. Last night was a bit hit and miss due to the weather disrupting the signal.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    mitsubishi canter mini artic
    just get a cheap diggi tv from a supermarket . most work on 12v. and get a mercury tv antenna . about the size of a flip flop.
    use the language settings and get lots english speaking programs , dont get uk news but the foreign news gives a good coverage . plus gets your foreign language better.
    even a small indoor antenna put by a window works a treat. they cost about 20 quid .
    look on ebay for caravan tv ariel.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Chausson flash 510
    Quote Originally Posted by harrow View Post
    yes good idea.

How the world has changed.

About 45 years ago i left school and became an apprentice telephone engineer, telephones were just for making phone calls, but we also had telex.

tta ?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information