CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Scotland for a week.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Autotrail Tribute 715

Scotland for a week.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Hi everyone, we are in a bit of a dilemma, next week we are going to spend the week somewhere in Scotland. Last year we had a fantastic trip to Arran so i started making plans for this year.

My first thoughts were the NC500, then i started seeing more and more in the media about how popular this is and roads are getting grid locked.

So i turn my attentions to a week on Skye, now they are saying don't visit Skye because it's over run.

What would others recommend, we are not mountain hikers but like a good walk with the dogs, we like small towns but want to avoid huge crowds and love beaches.

Recommendations please.

Ken.

winks is offline Full Member
    Name: Harold
    Spouse: Roseann

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Hobby 750
    Mull every time for me. Don't overlook the south of Scotland, especially with the meteor showers at present.

Cheers

H

Member Number
    Motorhome
    vw t5
    It's a Mull from me to!

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Autocruise
    And before you know it Mull will be full too.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Shire Conversion
    Moidart and Ardnamurchan

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Hymer B694

Scotland for a week,NC500

Quote Originally Posted by Herman View Post
    Hi everyone, we are in a bit of a dilemma, next week we are going to spend the week somewhere in Scotland. Last year we had a fantastic trip to Arran so i started making plans for this year.

My first thoughts were the NC500, then i started seeing more and more in the media about how popular this is and roads are getting grid locked.

So i turn my attentions to a week on Skye, now they are saying don't visit Skye because it's
    Ken.
    Just returned from Skye last week and yes it is busy but still some good locations if you know the island. Particularly the north and east areas. All sites busy but then it is summer.
    We found some excellent locations farther north. Durness,Melvich and Glen Sheil.
    Loch Carron and Gairloch not too busy.
    Hope you have good weather. Slainte Growlie and Littlepony.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Renault Trafic
    Kill two birds with one stone ... drive up through Skye and hop on a ferry from Uig to Lochmaddy (36.10 for less than 6 metres and 1 person - 1hr 40m book a ticket in advance or pay at harbour and queue for a space) on Nth Uist ... tour the smaller islands all the way down to Eriskay then back up to Berneray and hop on another wee ferry to Harris (16.20 about 40mins - can pay on boat) ... tour Harris and Lewis and return to Tarbert for a ferry back to Uig on Skye (same as Uig to Lochmaddy both price and booking/queuing)

Braw ... loads of toilets, and other facilities available if you look around (Lochboisdale's new marina/harbour has superb toilets, washing machines and showers available with an honesty box) and water is freely available in most places.

I'm just back from spending a few weeks there. It's in great danger of becoming my new second home.
    Last edited by Auld Pharrrt; 12-08-2017 at 09:14.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Autotrail Tribute 715
    Quote Originally Posted by Auld Pharrrt View Post
    Kill two birds with one stone ... drive up through Skye and hop on a ferry from Uig to Lochmaddy (36.10 for less than 6 metres and 1 person - 1hr 40m book a ticket in advance or pay at harbour and queue for a space) on Nth Uist ... tour the smaller islands all the way down to Eriskay then back up to Berneray and hop on another wee ferry to Harris (16.20 about 40mins - can pay on boat) ... tour Harris and Lewis and return to Tarbert for a ferry back to Uig on Skye (same as Uig to Lochmaddy both price and booking/queuing)

Braw ... loads of toilets, and other facilities available if you look around (Lochboisdale's new marina/harbour has superb toilets, washing machines and showers available with an honesty box) and water is freely available in most places.

I'm just back from spending a few weeks there. It's in great danger of becoming my new second home.
    I've just followed your route on Google earth, if only we had 2 weeks. we are slightly over 7m so ferry fees total 141. I could cut it shorter but if we are going to cross over to these islands we'd have to see it all. Jealous, I'll plan this for next year.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    2011 Iveco Daily 35s
    It's got to be Mull with the low RET ferry prices. Also include trips to Staffa, Lunga and Iona, visit Tobermory and the distillery. There's so many fantastic places to overnight free too.

If you look at my avatar that's me parked outside the best eatery on Mull, Tobermory Scullery.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Autotrail Tribute 715
    I've just read the post on the NC500, that could be back on the burn, but with a couple of you say Mull, now I looking at that. It's starting to hurt my brain a bit now.

Thanks for the replies so far.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information