CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sad Day

Member Number
    Motorhome
    VW T5 Auto-Sleepers Trooper

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    The latest reports suggest the walker was crossing the road.

Alf

Quote Originally Posted by caledonia View Post
    The layby at the Devils Staircase is right on the edge of the road and the vehicles pass at high speed and some of the West Highland Way walkers walk on the road just before the Staircase.
    Thanks caledonia thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Rimor K Max
    About 10 years ago we went to see The Hamsters [a Jimi Hendrix cover band] at a pub in Broughton-in-Furness, the gig finished at midnight. For those that don't know Broughton, it is a small Cumbrian village surrounded by farmland. Anyway, at 12:30a.m. there was a free bus into Barrow-in-Furness laid on by Barrow Council for the sole purpose of avoiding death and injury on the narrow winding country lanes.
    That is what I call sensible thinking.
    When I was younger I felt like a man trapped inside a woman’s body. Then I was born.
    Likes Alf, time4t, jeanette, trevskoda liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    97 sprinter ex police riot van.
    First of all, I have much sadness for all involved in this tragedy, it shouldn't have happened.
    We don't have much idea of the circumstances so we shouldn't paint everyone with the same brush & yet we have all had near misses with those
    people that act in an irresponsible way.

When i'm out & about in my car, I try to talk to walkers & cyclists who are obviously very aware of their own vulnerability while on country roads,
    these wee chats near enough always come to the same conclusion, with my asking them to pass on their attitude to their safety, to their fellow walkers & cyclists & what they tell me is that those that walk/cycle with no regard for other road users won't listen & feel that all responsibility for their safety is on the driver/bikers shoulders.
    Which is what I've found when I've tried to talk to them. I am told that if I hit them it's my fault!

I have no idea why they can't or won't wear bright gear & have these cheap to buy flashing LED lights on, I mean talk about a lack of the self preservation instinct!

So what I feel is required is a televised campaign to make the ignorant & the arrogant walkers & cyclists aware that if they choose to wear dull clothing that's hard to see, walk or ride in a way that puts them in danger & wear earphones in both ears so they can't hear the traffic, then they are solely responsible for any injury that befalls them!

Phill
    Learning to dance, where one step forward & two steps back is progress!
    Likes izwozral, trevskoda, Alf, RoadTrek Boy liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    iveco daily
    Obvs don't know the circumstances of this sad event. Why do walkers not seem to walk facing the traffic as i was taught? At least then even if the vehicle doesn't see them, they can see it and jump clear. as i say not commenting on this particular case as we don't know the details, but i have had lots of near misses with walkers dressed in dark clothing walking with their back to the traffic.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Chausson flash 510
    Quote Originally Posted by ashbyspannerman View Post
    Obvs don't know the circumstances of this sad event. Why do walkers not seem to walk facing the traffic as i was taught? At least then even if the vehicle doesn't see them, they can see it and jump clear. as i say not commenting on this particular case as we don't know the details, but i have had lots of near misses with walkers dressed in dark clothing walking with their back to the traffic.
    Australian woman whose daughter was killed by a motorist on an unlit road on Skye [I think fairly recently] was on Radio Scotland the other day . Daughter , boyfriend and friend had gone to pub [not sure where exactly] which was 23 miles from where they lived . At closing time they discovered there were no buses or taxis ! Not being unsympathetic but thought it was pretty dumb not finding out how they would get home .
    Mother , obviously upset , was saying taxi companies should be obliged to provide a service . One odd thing was that an ambulance had stopped and warned them of the danger they were in , walking on that road in the dark !
    Likes Alf liked this post
    Thanks Alf thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    fiat ducato autostratus
    As most on here have said condolences to the family but at the same time nearly everyone has had near misses I know we have and it really does make you feel sick to your stomach thinking what if?? And another thing is why do some insist on wearing dark clothes! I was also taught when out walking when younger to always face the traffic and wear something bright at night to be seen!!
    Likes trevskoda, Alf, izwozral liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    iveco iris lib bus

Wifes father falls into this cat/as he now uses a fram to walk and has no clue about driving,yet the doc sined up his papers for another year
    Only dirty people wash

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Quite valid points but nothing do do with a walker stepping out to cross the road in front of a vehicle

Whilst on the subject what is your advice to the 100 year old walkers then.

Alf

Likes caledonia liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    David you are talking about a television program that has picked out the obvious in order to make a TV show its not the real word.

Alf

Likes Edina liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    waiting for new Globecar Campscout Revolution (massive downsize from 9m A Class)
    Sad for all involved.
    Likes Alf liked this post

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information