CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Thread: Iverter/Battery charger.

Member Number

Iverter/Battery charger.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    I want to charge my scooter battery using the inverter to power the charger, has anyone done this.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    VW LT 2.8TDi Self-Build Camperbus
    Quote Originally Posted by big tom View Post
    I want to charge my scooter battery using the inverter to power the charger, has anyone done this.
    Obviously not the most efficient way as converting 12.xV DC to 230V AC and down to 14V DC again, but no reason why you cannot do this.
    Reckon on drawing a fair bit more amperage then the stated charge output (maybe 25% extra at a guess due to the various losses in this process)

Edit. I'll do this in a few minutes and post the charger output current and the current drawn off the battery to give an idea
    VW LT Camperbus Build Blog.- https://www.facebook.com/Wildebus
    Thanks big tom, jeffmossy thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    ldv pilot
    i use my 12v supply to charge my 12v m/cycle batt[xr250],
    i am not as up as others but if you are going 12v-240,240 down to 12v,seems the 240 is not needed to me.
    anyhow,good luck.
    p.s,i dont know wether you mean an electric or petrol scooter,
    atb
    j
    Likes Alf liked this post
    Thanks big tom thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Quote Originally Posted by janner View Post
    i am not as up as others but if you are going 12v-240,240 down to 12v,seems the 240 is not needed to me.
    anyhow,good luck.
    atb
    j
    Depending on the purpose of the charging, you need a higher voltage then a 12V battery can supply, so some intermediate device is needed (which could be a DC-DC converter as well potentially). A typical battery charger outputs 13.6 to 14.4V and a fully charged 12V Battery is 12.7V

Member Number
    The reason I am asking this is in August last year I bought a new Honda 300 HSI scooter, yesterday I came to put the scooter onto the rack of the MH and it would not start ,it had been stood for a week the battery was flat .The handbook does say if the scooter is left for extended periods disconnect the battery, I have called Honda where I bought it from and explained the problem they said could be the battery, I said I was not interested in warranty as would fit one myself while away, I then told him I had fitted repeater indicators he said they could cause a drain even when switched off, I am not into electronics so donít understand that. No kick start these days so I want to set myself up for emergencies .

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Just did my test....

Charger is a Victron BSC IP22 12/20, Connected to vehicles Starter Battery
    Leisure Battery has no load on it apart from Inverter. And no charging in from Solar (controller turned off for test duration)
    Inverter has no devices plugged in except for Charger.
    LB Current Draw read off Victron BMV-712 Monitor.

Test 1. Unbranded cheap 1000W Pure Sine Wave Inverter.

Charger Output Amp --- Lesiure Battery Draw Amp

3.4 --- 5.9
    3.1 --- 5.5
    2.9 --- 5.3

Test 2. Victron Phoenix 12/500 400W Pure Sine Wave Inverter.
    2.8 --- 4.5
    2.7 --- 4.4

So on a top class inverter, there is a 'cost' of around 1.7A involved in the DC-AC conversion on Inverter and AC-DC conversion, and that includes taking a supply at around 13.2V - 12.9V and outputing at a 14.4V DC level.

When using the basic inverter, the 'cost' goes up to around 2.4A, showing the worse efficiency of that inverter.

So I would add 2.5A an hour onto the scooter charger output to give you a total load on the batteries while you are charging this way.

HTH

Member Number
    Quote Originally Posted by janner View Post
    anyhow,good luck.
    atb
    j
    It is a petrol scooter, I think you are suggesting jump start from the MH battery that would be the easy way if the scooter battery was easy to get, it means taking the seat off and various panels

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Burstner
    The reason I am asking this is in August last year I bought a new Honda 300 HSI scooter, yesterday I came to put the scooter onto the rack of the MH and it would not start ,it had been stood for a week the battery was flat .The handbook does say if the scooter is left for extended periods disconnect the battery, I have called Honda where I bought it from and explained the problem they said could be the battery, I said I was not interested in warranty as would fit one myself while away, I then told him I had fitted repeater indicators he said they could cause a drain even when switched off, I am not into electronics so donít understand that. No kick start these days so I want to set myself up for emergencies .
    If it is awkward to get at the Scooter battery, can you not fit a cigar socket to the battery terminals and have the socket tucked away somewhere handy. When you need to charge the battery just plug in either from a charging source or a fully charged battery.

Member Number
    It is a petrol scooter, I think you are suggesting jump start from the MH battery that would be the easy way if the scooter battery was easy to get, it means taking the seat off and various panels
    Yes I have not long bought a motorbike with no kick start.

So I purchased a brand new yuasa battery.

If you need to jump start it, because scooters don't need so much current then you could use much lighter jump leads, years ago I started up a 250cc bike direct off the battery charger.

A battery jump pack might help.

And what about keeping the battery topped up with a battery tender ?

Member Number
    I am unsure about charging direct from the MH battery due to the huge difference in size, what I had not considered is some sort of B to B, that seems the way to go if I could find the correct model hopefully someone will come back with a suggestion

Thread Information