CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Petrol motorhomes?

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Citroen C15 Motorhome

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Man View Post
    Autosleeper Executive based on a Peugeot Boxer.
    We're running an Autosleeper Talisman based on a Peugeot Boxer. Looked around at all the different flavours (base vehicles) and this seemed one of the better options.

Rae & Ann
    Oh the posh posh travelling life, the travelling life for me.
    Likes alwaysared liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Citroen C15 Motorhome
    Quote Originally Posted by Fazerloz View Post
    The sooner you get it on lpg the sooner it pays for itself and the more you save. Don't hesitate.
    Once it gets undersealed it will be off to get the LPG conversion but I need to get it undersealed so they can get a good coverage of the chassis.

Rae & Ann
    Likes time4t liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Citroen C15 Motorhome
    Quote Originally Posted by trevskoda View Post
    Bit like changing all house bulbs to led at 90% power saving,how many acc do.
    Hello Trev,
    We've done.

Rae & Ann
    Likes trevskoda liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Citroen C15 Motorhome
    Quote Originally Posted by molly 2 View Post
    How many mpg are they getting
    Hello Bazz,
    I'm looking at 20 miles per gallon on LPG and about 23/24 on petrol; these are not my figures just other peoples' so I can't have an opinion until I try it out myself.

Rae & Ann

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Citroen C15 Motorhome
    Quote Originally Posted by molly 2 View Post
    my old van would do up to 40 mpg well under 3 tons ,my new 3.5 tones about 30 mpg .
    Hello Bazz,
    That's sore innit?......still, you're up higher.

Rae & Ann

winks is offline Full Member
    Name: Harold
    Spouse: Roseann

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Hobby 750 (The Behemoth)
    I knew a local fella who had Damon Daybreak with a big petrol engine running on lpg and he got the equivalent, in money terms, of eighteen miles per gallon out of that. He wasn't one for the light right foot either. From memory I think it was a Chevy about 5.6L V8.

Up until age 70 I'll stick with the Behemoth I think.

Cheers

H
    Likes trevskoda, time4t liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Halfords dome tent 15
    Petrol every time for me as have had diesel vehicles now for over 30 years and none of them have been economical on fuel, they are noisy and for most owners not a sensible choice.
    Loved the 8.1 litre v8 in the Winnebago it was as cheap to run as most euro boxes .

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Lunar Premier H622

Interesting thread

I think maybe
    Up to 3.5 tonne a (new design) petrol engine can do a good job
    Obviously an LPG option would be good ie as now LPG/Petrol
    What about full LPG or even better an LPG/Electric hybrid and a solar roof

Problem is if you cannot get LPG

Best solution surely is cleaner diesel and equal fuel cost with petrol

Tax on LPG will rise which will be a pain for Gasit/Gaslow type LPG for cooking
    I cannot see "red LPG" (as in red diesel) being a runner (pun intended) but that would still be the same price as calor.

Bottled LPG in Europe is very cheap as it is used in households as they (mainly) do not have "Piped Gas" thus that may well continue so we will be back to swapping bottles again !

Electric only v difficult today because of battery weight but that technology is changing so so quickly Maybe (and a solar roof)
    That also brings in the option of No Gas (as in Wildebus Van)
    OR we get a builtin generator (LPG or probably petrol due to availability)

Member Number
    Motorhome
    swift
    Quote Originally Posted by stonedaddy View Post
    I am going back somewhat here but does anyone remember a Rover 106 I think it was taking part in the le-mans 24 hour race. I think it was in the early 1950s and we had just got our first TV. The car was still made by Rover in those days, in fact it was there last shape before being taken over. The car easily won the race but it was only guesting and not part of the race officially. The reason, it was not shaft driven and to be official it had to be. It run off hydrogen made from water. I remember my dad who was handy at mechanics saying " that is fantastic as water is free so to fill up with water will be easy and painless". I don't know if this car made its hydrogen has it went along or weather it was pumped in before hand has a pressurised gas. But whatever way its done it must be cheaper to make fuel out of water than anything else on this planet. Also it beat all the other sports cars in the race so was no slouch, and was only the basic saloon body, not a sports car. And would it matter to us if it had no prop shafts, drive shafts, or half shafts, less to produce and less to maintain. After that newsreel on the TV I never heard anything else about it. Surely we should all be driving cheap Hydrogen turbo engine cars now. Can anyone else remember that Rover all those years ago. Perhaps they can improve on my memory and maybe bring us up to date why it has never been developed since. I was only a whippet in them far off days and maybee got it wrong a bit.
    .... Tom ....
    No, your not mistaken Tom, though I think the Le mans race might have been a bit later. David's been reading quite a bit about Land Rover owners in the USA trying to do the same. Don't know how successful they've been, I didn't listen that closely to what he told me.
    Thanks stonedaddy thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    transit lwb semi high panal van
    guess im a luddite

outside on the drive weve got a transit 2.5 di, fourtrak 2.8td, berlingo 1.9d , pug 3061.9d and a pug 206 1.9d theyre all old enough not to have electrickery to reduce emissions ,they get cambelts, filters, fluids and the occasional glow plug. its body rot that will kill any or all of them, the engines are expected to last for ever.

ive also got 4 60s/70s diesel tractors which are also basic mechanicals with no electronics.

my first diesel road vehicle was an 84 astra, at the time day on day running costs were half that of the petrol cortina it replaced.

we ran petrol transits up untill the mk3 diesels arrived, again you got halved fuel use and greater reliability with reduced servicing.

has anyone got real world experience of running a mixed fleet of modern (sub 5 year old ) vehicles for a real world comparison of fuels. both from fuel economy and servicing / reliability viewpoints.

as an asside is it legal to install lpg tanks in the hab area? under the bed was mentioned somewhere , or are they supposed to be under the floor

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread Information