CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hookup charging

Member Number
    Motorhome
    iveco iris lib bus

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Quote Originally Posted by hairydog View Post
    I think it was a sensible question. What you found surprises me.

Both the motorhomes I've had that had a switch that let you choose engine / off / hab as a power source charged the hab batteries whatever position that switch was in. The switch only affected where the load was connected to.

However, neither of them even trickle-charged the engine battery. But they were old. One was build in the late 1960s and the other was 1995 registered, probably made in 1994.

I think the idea of having a switch that lets you use the engine battery for domestic power is an accident waiting to happen, and I'm surprised that they are still fitted.

Generally I thought that on modern vans the switch on the control panel only switches the voltmeter between the batteries, so you can see the state of the batteries, not change where the load is connected to.
    I had a pug in doing a rewire,the switch did let you go between eng & hab battery,i disconected the feed wire and only used it as a meter reading wire,as h/dog says a acc waiting to happen.
    I do think that folk building vans for sale to the public never talk to punters or use vans in real life cause if they did things would be much better.
    Only dirty people wash

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Swift Gazelle
    Does anyone know if I could just wire the charger direct to the battery? That way as soon as I plug in the hookup and the switch is in the middle(0) it will still charge the battery
    thanks 👍🏻
    Likes trevskoda liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    iveco iris lib bus
    Quote Originally Posted by wisper View Post
    Does anyone know if I could just wire the charger direct to the battery? That way as soon as I plug in the hookup and the switch is in the middle(0) it will still charge the battery
    thanks 👍🏻
    Yep that will work,you can also add a splitter which will keep engine start battery up to,good for winter when not in use for more than a week or two.
    This model will only handle 15ah .
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Only dirty people wash
    Likes wisper liked this post
    Thanks wisper thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Swift Gazelle
    Quote Originally Posted by trevskoda View Post
    Yep that will work,you can also add a splitter which will keep engine start battery up to,good for winter when not in use for more than a week or two.
    This model will only handle 15ah .
    Great thank you . Thatís my next job then👍🏻

Member Number
    Motorhome
    see picture
    Quote Originally Posted by wisper View Post
    Great thank you . That’s my next job then����
    Beware. If you are planning to leave a mains charger connected for more than a few days at a time, you need a smart charger, or the charger will cook the battery. Smart chargers monitor the voltage to adjust the charging.

Those splitter units are basically two high current diodes back to back. This means that the lowest voltage battery gets the current until they are equal voltage. Then they should stay at the same voltage.

All good for topping up two unconnected batteries from one charger. But this is not compatible with smart charging.

For leaving it on charge on winter, you are far better installing two smart chargers. They don't have to be high current. 4A is ample when you can wait a few days to fill the batteries.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    iveco iris lib bus
    Beware. If you are planning to leave a mains charger connected for more than a few days at a time, you need a smart charger, or the charger will cook the battery. Smart chargers monitor the voltage to adjust the charging.

Those splitter units are basically two high current diodes back to back. This means that the lowest voltage battery gets the current until they are equal voltage. Then they should stay at the same voltage.

All good for topping up two unconnected batteries from one charger. But this is not compatible with smart charging.

For leaving it on charge on winter, you are far better installing two smart chargers. They don't have to be high current. 4A is ample when you can wait a few days to fill the batteries.
    Works ok on mine,though two smart chargers like the numax 4ah or 10ah would be much better.
    Only dirty people wash

Member Number
    Motorhome
    see picture
    Works ok on mine,though two smart chargers like the numax 4ah or 10ah would be much better.
    We've been through this before, Trev. It works for you because your charger isn't a smart charger.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Swift Gazelle

I thought with the charger that I have i could just connect and forget it as once it charges the battery then it will just maintain the charge ?

Member Number
    Motorhome
    iveco iris lib bus
    We've been through this before, Trev. It works for you because your charger isn't a smart charger.
    Yes it is,numax 10ah smart charger,lifts batts to above 13.7 then drops to about 13.2/13.4 float ,and there fan cooled.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Only dirty people wash

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Swift Gazelle
    Yes it is,numax 10ah smart charger,lifts batts to above 13.7 then drops to about 13.2/13.4 float ,and there fan cooled.

Am so confused now lol. I thought I could leave my charger on 24/7 if I wanted to without cooking the batteryís .
    What I was going to do is wire it directly to the batteryís so I donít have to flick any switches when on ehuOr when itís sat at home I can plug it into ehu and leave it

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information