CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Hookup charging

Member Number
    Motorhome
    VW LT 2.8TDi Self-Build Camperbus

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    FWIW, there is another option to these Splitters, and that is to get a multi-output multi-stage Smart Charger.

I installed a Victron Blue Smart 20A Charger with 3 Outputs. One output goes to the Leisure Battery Bank, another goes to the Starter Battery, and the current of each output varies depending on what the connected battery requires (upto a total of 20A across the 3 outputs). I have confirmed this behaviour using a clamp meter.

The 3rd output I use for charge a loose Wet Cell or AGM batteries to save bringing out another charger for it.

Not a cheap solution, but it is a good one, especially with the ability to monitor via Bluetooth.
    Camperbus Blog.- www.facebook.com/Wildebus
    Electrical Bits - stores.ebay.co.uk/Camper-Van-Kit
    Likes trevskoda liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Swift Gazelle
    Quote Originally Posted by wildebus View Post
    FWIW, there is another option to these Splitters, and that is to get a multi-output multi-stage Smart Charger.

I installed a Victron Blue Smart 20A Charger with 3 Outputs. One output goes to the Leisure Battery Bank, another goes to the Starter Battery, and the current of each output varies depending on what the connected battery requires (upto a total of 20A across the 3 outputs). I have confirmed this behaviour using a clamp meter.

The 3rd output I use for charge a loose Wet Cell or AGM batteries to save bringing out another charger for it.

Not a cheap solution, but it is a good one, especially with the ability to monitor via Bluetooth.
    thanks for that. I have not long bought my charger so I will stick with it . All I want to know really instead of flicking the switch to battery for it too charge, can i directly wire it to the battery without any split charging and leave it on safely 24/7
    Thanks

Member Number
    Motorhome
    iveco iris lib bus
    Yes whisper the charger you have is a charge& float ,so leave it on no prob.
    If you like you could put a 2 way flick switch on pos line dividing to both batterys so you can have either one charged time about.
    Only dirty people wash
    Likes wisper liked this post
    Thanks wisper thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Swift Gazelle
    Quote Originally Posted by trevskoda View Post
    Yes whisper the charger you have is a charge& float ,so leave it on no prob.
    If you like you could put a 2 way flick switch on pos line dividing to both batterys so you can have either one charged time about.
    Thank you 👍🏻

Member Number
    Motorhome
    see picture
    For longer term use, two smart chargers are a far better idea than switches or splitters. Smart chargers monitor the state of the battery, so switching makes them start again, splitting confuses them.
    Likes sparrks liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    iveco iris lib bus
    Quote Originally Posted by hairydog View Post
    For longer term use, two smart chargers are a far better idea than switches or splitters. Smart chargers monitor the state of the battery, so switching makes them start again, splitting confuses them.
    No it wont confuse it,when switched to each battery it will determan state of charge and do its thing.
    I do agree two smart chargers are the best way to go making things simple for people like me.
    Only dirty people wash

Member Number
    Motorhome
    see picture
    When first connected, a smart charger cannot tell the state of charge, only the voltage. They have to run through the phases to get to the maintenance phase.
    Far better to have a separate smart charger for each battery (or a single, multichannel one if you like your eggs in one basket).
    The engine battery charger can be a low output one, not costing much.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    iveco iris lib bus
    Quote Originally Posted by hairydog View Post
    When first connected, a smart charger cannot tell the state of charge, only the voltage. They have to run through the phases to get to the maintenance phase.
    Far better to have a separate smart charger for each battery (or a single, multichannel one if you like your eggs in one basket).
    The engine battery charger can be a low output one, not costing much.
    Numax do a 4ah charger and 10ah plus the largest 20ah,iv also noticed there is a chinese one looking same at half the cost which is prob where the numax are made as most things are,and its 20ah to boot.
    As for chargers going through the stages mine takes about 30sec to sort itself out before settling down,but yes two are better esp for long storage over winter,
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Only dirty people wash

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information