Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hookup charging

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Swift Gazelle

Hookup charging

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Hi all
    I have a swift gazelle f63 and am not sure if my onboard charger is charging up the battery’s .
    i have put a voltage meter onto the wires that come out off the charger and when control pannel switch is flicked to the bottom (0) am getting no voltage but when I flick the switch to the cab battery’s am getting voltage from the wires that come out off the charger.
    I always thought I turn the control panel off then use hookup and it’s charging the battery’s .
    but now am thinking I have to put the switch to the cab battery while on hookup and then the charger is charging up the battery’s .
    sorry if I have not explained my self too well.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    iveco iris lib bus
    Not sure of your setup but i would think main board should be on,also most of them old type black boxes are both a charger and power point unit,i would prefare the more modern multi stage float chargers taking care of my batterys.
    Im sure someone with the same van will be along to help.
    Only dirty people wash

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Swift Gazelle
    Quote Originally Posted by trevskoda View Post
    Not sure of your setup but i would think main board should be on,also most of them old type black boxes are both a charger and power point unit,i would prefare the more modern multi stage float chargers taking care of my batterys.
    Im sure someone with the same van will be along to help.
    hi Trev
    thanks for your reply I have upgraded my charger this is the one I have fitted
    Likes trevskoda liked this post

Member Number
    Quote Originally Posted by wisper View Post
    hi Trev
    thanks for your reply I have upgraded my charger this is the one I have fitted
    This is the spec sheet

https://www.12voltplanet.co.uk/user/...structions.pdf

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Swift Gazelle
    Quote Originally Posted by harrow View Post
    Thank you
    it’s set to 3 stage charging (green light )
    so I take it for it to charge the battery’s the control panel has to be on cab/hab battery .
    and to use psu mode the switch on the panel has to be put to the middle (0)

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Compass Avantgarde 140
    I'm really interested to see what people say here because I never change anything on my panel and I'm wondering if I'm missing something?

I have no doubt that our panels are completely different but when I hook up to mains power, the charger just does its thing without me flipping any switches on the panel. I think my panel is just for various read-out purposes and doesn't have any real functionality. Aside from that, I've just got a master switch that turns off all the 12V power to the hab area, as does the van ignition switch but it makes no difference to mains charging if the master switch is on or off. Electrickery is sooo not my forte, which is why I like to keep an eye on and try to learn from the questions of others
    Likes trevskoda liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Swift Gazelle
    Quote Originally Posted by Minisorella View Post
    I'm really interested to see what people say here because I never change anything on my panel and I'm wondering if I'm missing something?

I have no doubt that our panels are completely different but when I hook up to mains power, the charger just does its thing without me flipping any switches on the panel. I think my panel is just for various read-out purposes and doesn't have any real functionality. Aside from that, I've just got a master switch that turns off all the 12V power to the hab area, as does the van ignition switch but it makes no difference to mains charging if the master switch is on or off. Electrickery is sooo not my forte, which is why I like to keep an eye on and try to learn from the questions of others
    when I upgraded the onboard charger I used the old wiring . But on looking at the wiring diagram it looks like it should be wired direct to the battery (fused off course) then it will work like yours. Once on hookup
    It should charge the battery up no matter what the control panel switch is on. I could be wrong tho

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Swift Gazelle
    when I upgraded the onboard charger I used the old wiring . But on looking at the wiring diagram it looks like it should be wired direct to the battery (fused off course) then it will work like yours. Once on hookup
    It should charge the battery up no matter what the control panel switch is on. I could be wrong tho
    This is my control panel

Member Number
    Motorhome
    iveco iris lib bus
    I find some van wireing daft and odd,here is the way i do it .
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Only dirty people wash
    Likes wisper liked this post
    Thanks wisper thanked for this post

Member Number
    Well the most straight forward well to tell is monitor the batteries with a multimeter and flick the switches to hab and then cab and you will see for sure what is being charged.

Likes wisper, hairydog liked this post

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information