CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Comfortable seats in habitation

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Mitsubishi delica JB500

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    i have been given such a wide array of brilliant ideas... thanks to all who have contributed and researched on my behalf... one idea led me to another and then someone else came up with a different angle... and so i learny new ways of looking at comfort and my van's configuration....

i have two bench seats opposite each other (facing towards the cab and the rear kitchen). My huge table fills in the gap when i am writing and need my "office table ". This area can also accommodate a double bed for if i have Ahem... guests.

Installing one-off "house chairs " was an interesting new idea would be very difficult as underneath all my benches i have storage/batteries/electrics/gas ... none of which can be easily re-sited to accommodate a chair. Anchorage would be an added difficulty.

So looking at all the ergonomic and back support products triggered another idea for back support when considering my van's layout.

In the house i have a new bedsettee. When in settee mode there are two very large and high-backed, professionally buttoned, well upholstered and shaped cushions which are zipped onto the rear frame. These are incredibly comfy to sit on/lean on.

So i have taken one into the van, and placed it at the back of my deepest bench seat. Having spent an hour in there reading today it was really comfy. I think this may be just the ticket !! i will report further progress when i have used it a few times and discovered if "in the wild" it works as well as on my drive.

it's hard to think laterally about adapting things from my home (which will not be used when i am away vanning) to camp with - as we are all so used to buying "purpose-made-highly-overpriced-Campervan-Stuff !!!

If this works in the long term... It will have been a great free addition to my facilities. i will of course then need to find a match for the pink material which abounds in my mobile lovenest so that i can cover the settee cushion to match....

thanks everyone
    Last edited by delicagirl; 07-03-2018 at 13:30.
    Likes trevskoda, Clunegapyears liked this post

Nabsim is offline Full Member
    Name: Nabs (Neil)
    Spouse: Caz

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Geist Phantom
    Brilliant! If it works and you want to match you just need a loose cover or even a throw ha ha
    Likes delicagirl liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    HYMER ML I
    Quote Originally Posted by delicagirl View Post
    thanks james... sadly my van cant use the cab seats... even if it could the cab is FREEZING - tis a mitsubishi truck.... so my curtains and insulation between cab-hab is really thick...
    I never use the Hab' seats unless to eat at the table, we use the driving seats, more comfortable and we do not get a sore neck watching the TV over our shoulders, on the bulkhead for the loo area. We could take the hab' seat out move the table and get a much better sitting area. MMMM! there's an idea now
    Thanks delicagirl thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Adria Twin "Demi"
    "but on those evenings when you just "cant get comfy" it is irritating !!"

From experience, those evenings are just that, can't get comfy. No matter where you are, what you do. I'd bet, if you were at home, you'd be just as badly off. Give

up, either go down the pub or go to bed. It'll be a better day tomorrow.......or another uncomfortable one. Let's be honest, sometimes, life's just a pain in the b...

It's staying cheerful that keeps me going.

Dadad
    I love my wife. I like Demi Moore
    Likes delicagirl liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    iveco iris lib bus
    This area can also accommodate a double bed for if i have Ahem... guests.
    What you mean other guests,i thought i was the only --- well thought looks like its over before its started,.
    Glad you got sorted as i know what its like trying to get comfy in poor seats
    Only dirty people wash
    Likes Nabsim, delicagirl liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    HYMER ML I
    Quote Originally Posted by trevskoda View Post
    This area can also accommodate a double bed for if i have Ahem... guests.
    What you mean other guests,i thought i was the only --- well thought looks like its over before its started,.
    Glad you got sorted as i know what its like trying to get comfy in poor seats
    Do you not get a bit of a squeeze getting a double bed in through the doors? I know the door is bigger but?????????
    Likes trevskoda, delicagirl liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    VW LT 2.8TDi Self-Build Camperbus
    I like to close a loop on suggestions, and CC suggested the above for a requirement I was after.

Well, not quite finished it yet, but this is my new Rear Fixed Bed, just built and adapted to use the above Froli system in it ...

Camper Bed - Raised
    by David, on Flickr
    Camperbus Blog and Website - www.wildebus.com
    Electrical Bits - stores.ebay.co.uk/Camper-Van-Kit
    Likes delicagirl, Cheerful Charlie liked this post

Member Number
    I had a rocking chair, I found I had to have different chairs to sit in.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    none
    Quote Originally Posted by delicagirl View Post
    Hi - my Delica has very "upright-vertical-horizontal" deep foam seating either side of my dining table/lounge (when table is removed). It is not fabulously comfortable for lounging in because of the upright back. ~i have a satisfactory method of putting my feet up, which helps for reading in the evening, but, the Vertical back...... mmm ... i have devised all sorts of angular supportive bits n bobs to try to "angleise" my back support.... a sausage type long cushion at bum level / a pilates blue rubber ball at mid back level / a variety of cushions at the back and at the side of my thighs for arm-supports... but i have not quite cracked the final design for real comfort.

Lockers are underneath all the seating and so there's a flat hard board under the foam to protect the batteries/water tank etc etc.

i have more space upwards from the seats if that helps those clever designers who hang round here to come up with a new angle on this...... (sorry re pun just could not resist!)

Has anyone else had a go at this type of internal chair re-design - or do i just need another 50k+ for a new van ?
    Hi
    I seem to remember Mr Mainbrace (maingate) on this forum some time ago made a modification to his seating arrangement it may be an idea to send him a private message to see if he can remember what he did...I am sure he will not mind. If I can recall he had the same sort of problem albeit he did not have the same motor home as your's.

Bye for now
    Freddie

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Globecar 636SB
    Quote Originally Posted by wildebus View Post
    I like to close a loop on suggestions, and CC suggested the above for a requirement I was after.

Well, not quite finished it yet, but this is my new Rear Fixed Bed, just built and adapted to use the above Froli system in it ...

Camper Bed - Raised
    by David, on Flickr
    This has just reminded me, I have an electrically adjustable bed which we brought for my mother some years back, I have thought about modifying the slatted base in van to give two raising parts at top of beds, the only thing is IIRC the motor is 36v, so not sure if it would run off 12v very slowly, or need an inverter.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread Information