CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Round Ireland with a Campervan

Member Number
    Motorhome
    iveco iris lib bus

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Quote Originally Posted by christine View Post
    We only travelled to Donegal after a wedding near Derry so can't speak for the rest of Eire. The coast is spectacular, with plenty of wilding places.The hinterland, however, was not so stunning in places, with a lot of moor and bog. The one thing we did notice everywhere were the modern houses built absolutely everywhere. We could not get a view without houses in which we found very disappointing and many of these houses were empty.

As for disposing of rubbish, we bunt any that would, on beaches, slipped the odd small bag into a shop bin and found ourselves bringing home most of our recycling as we only ever found glass recycling facilities. A good, strong sack is required!
    There english holiday homes and some our ones left when ireland was hit by depression in 2008.
    Up round the malin aera is good with lots of places to wild
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Only dirty people wash
    Likes Silver sprinter liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Burstner Argos 747-2
    Quote Originally Posted by trevskoda View Post
    All depends on how long one is staying here,i find the futher down you go the more like mainland england,defo would not go any where near dublin,up norf lad if its wilding you want,roads are good to.
    This is the worst rd which is over mountain short cut to kinnego bay from ferry where you can over night in carpark
    Trevskoda is so right about going to Donegal; there are so many beautiful places to visit. Patsy Dans in Dunfanaghy has good live music nights, as do other pubs in the town, and there are a few good wildcamping spots in the area. If you have children I would also recommend pony trekking on the beach at Dunfanaghy (although adults can do it too). Also Leo Brennans pub near Annagry has great live music. The Brennan family include famous musicians Enya and Clannad. Further south, Westport in Co. Mayo has some great music venues.

I could go on and on, but if you follow the Wild Atlantic Way you will find some great places and stunning locations to stay.

Kinnego Bay is my favourite beach in the world, and I've dreamed of wildcamping there since we got a motorhome, but as our van is 5000kg and about about 28 feet long I would never be brave enough to risk it on that hill to and from the beach!
    Thanks UFO thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    iveco iris lib bus
    Quote Originally Posted by V1nny View Post
    Trevskoda is so right about going to Donegal; there are so many beautiful places to visit. Patsy Dans in Dunfanaghy has good live music nights, as do other pubs in the town, and there are a few good wildcamping spots in the area. If you have children I would also recommend pony trekking on the beach at Dunfanaghy (although adults can do it too). Also Leo Brennans pub near Annagry has great live music. The Brennan family include famous musicians Enya and Clannad. Further south, Westport in Co. Mayo has some great music venues.

I could go on and on, but if you follow the Wild Atlantic Way you will find some great places and stunning locations to stay.

Kinnego Bay is my favourite beach in the world, and I've dreamed of wildcamping there since we got a motorhome, but as our van is 5000kg and about about 28 feet long I would never be brave enough to risk it on that hill to and from the beach!
    Yep that bend and hill is not for those with a faint hart,also try alcorns garden centre/ butterfly & mini zoo just out of letterkenny.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Only dirty people wash
    Likes V1nny liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    VW transporter
    Re rubbish in the republic. We save our rubbish til a bin bag is full and take it to the local recycling centre. About 3 euro, which isn't too nad really.
    We ended up just getting paranoid putting small amounts in bins, lurking and peeping around to see if we were being watched!...
    Likes trevskoda, Silver sprinter liked this post
    Thanks UFO thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    iveco iris lib bus
    Quote Originally Posted by Debroos View Post
    Re rubbish in the republic. We save our rubbish til a bin bag is full and take it to the local recycling centre. About 3 euro, which isn't too nad really.
    We ended up just getting paranoid putting small amounts in bins, lurking and peeping around to see if we were being watched!...
    So it was you.
    Only dirty people wash
    Likes delicagirl, Debroos liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Laika EcoVip 712
    When I was over there a few years ago I bought some wheelie bin rubbish bags. Nice and big. Took them to the local recycling place and paid my 1 Euro each per bag to get rid of them. Next time I went they had a new sign small bags 1 Euro large bags 3 Euro

They get up to all sorts of tricks to get rid of rubbish. We used to take a bag of rubbish to the pub and look for bins that were not LOCKED.

Also watched a truck being weighed on the way into the recycling centre and then two extra people climbed into the cab to be weighed on the way out.

Last edited by QFour; 14-03-2018 at 23:02.
    Likes trevskoda, Silver sprinter liked this post

Nabsim is offline Full Member
    Name: Nabs (Neil)
    Spouse: Caz

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Geist Phantom
    Quote Originally Posted by QFour View Post

Also watched a truck being weighed on the way into the recycling centre and then two extra people climbed into the cab to be weighed on the way out.

That got me remembering when I was at the quarry, we used to keep a close eye on gypsies/travellers. They would have 45 gallon drums on their pickup that would be filled with water, once weighed in they would drain the water off which obviously meant they could use the difference for 'products'. As I worked on the coating plants you would see them waiting for their load of tarmac and kids would be under conveyors or anywhere they could scoop up spilt aggregates. This all went on the wagon and they were overjoyed they were pulling one over on us and getting it for free.

Always amazed me they never did seem to realise that aggregates were around 1-2 a tonne back then and they were paying around 15 for their tarmac which meant their 'free' aggregate was actually pro rata at 15 a tonne

We did have some hairy moments with them though ha ha
    Likes trevskoda liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Adria Twin - added; solar, LED lights, Gas It
    Thank you all for your ideas, including dealing with rubbish and remembering travel distances and times are longer than they look.

I think what we will do is a quick drive from Belfast to Kinsale (where the 2,500km Wild Atlantic Way starts) via the Mourne and Wicklow mountains. We have a 6m PVC so will be able to explore the back roads around the coast. If we run out of time we can go cross country to Belfast and leave the rest of the coast for another trip. We would rather do cities e.g. Belfast, Dublin over 3 or 4 days from a hotel base so on this trip we will focus on the ‘wilder’ areas.

I have extracted the comments below from the thread to take with us.

County Clare wild landscape, music and Guinness

Antrim coast and the glens, round the coast to Magiligan ferry to Republic or round to Derry and hto Letterkenny, National Park, Erigal Mountain for the view, Dunlewey centre. Round the West Coast Atlantic drive, Dough famin village, Dunree fort, where the British WW1 war fleet left for Jutland, to Donegal town.

Carlingford loch marina 8 euros for the night discount off meals at the local restaurant 20 minutes walk into town several nice bars. Following the Shannon is pretty awesome.

Worst road (we like bad roads, no one else goes there!) over mountain short cut to Kinnego Bay from ferry where you can over night in car park.

An excellent method of seeing some of inland Ireland is to follow the Shannon River from Limerick right up to Lough Erne in Fermanagh. Pretty much all of the public marinas operated by waterways Ireland can supply water, toilets and rubbish disposal, and can be stayed at overnight. Swipe card to access showers and laundry on the Woodford waterway link between Lough Erne and the Shannon River.

Recommend ‘back roads Ireland’ from eyewitness travel, gets you to the best places and somehow seems to avoid the coach convoys.

North along the coast, through Donegal (a truly magnificent place - but large vans will definitely struggle on some of the tinier coast roads - Doagh Famine Village HAS to be worth a whole day's visit) Sligo is mountainous and very overlooked when it comes to the tourist trail, Mayo is another county that is steeped in Irish history and has everything to offer in terms of scenery and beauty and wilderness, along with lots of Famine history, Galway and Connemara (where many signs are still in Gaelic) are geologically very interesting and of course the west coast is in itself a thing of beauty.

Donegal - Patsy Dans in Dunfanaghy has good live music nights, Leo Brennans pub near Annagry has great live music. The Brennan family include famous musicians Enya and Clannad. Further south, Westport in Co. Mayo has some great music venues. Kinnego Bay is my favourite beach in the world.
    Last edited by UFO; 15-03-2018 at 16:47.
    Travel photos - https://www.instagram.com/mytchett/
    Travel map - https://tinyurl.com/yc6y34av

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Mitsubishi delica JB500
    you will have a great time..... on the west coast - normally anywhere that is called "Head" is up a very steep hill - bad roads !!

Cliffs of Moher are well worth seeing but hugely expensive if you park in the Heritage Centre - there is a smaller farm parking not too far away if you want to pay a few euros and have a short cliff stroll to get there.

http://www.facebook.com/WhyDonegal/p...96503093883812

this Gap of Mamore road in Uris . is DEFFO a bad road !!!! but beautiful place and very few vehicles chance it. !!!
    Last edited by delicagirl; 16-03-2018 at 12:52.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Adria Twin - added; solar, LED lights, Gas It

Newgrange - Castletown House

Thinking of visiting Newgrange (Neolithic 3200 BC site) and Castletown House (Palladian country house built in 1722) at the start of our Ireland trip. Checked all the usual sites and can't find any overnights spots close by.

Any ideas?

Thanks
    Travel photos - https://www.instagram.com/mytchett/
    Travel map - https://tinyurl.com/yc6y34av
    Likes trevskoda liked this post

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information