CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Round Ireland with a Campervan

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Adria Twin - added; solar, LED lights, Gas It

Round Ireland with a Campervan

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Ferry booked - Birkenhead-Belfast-Birkenhead for four weeks in Ireland in April.

Looking at the usual POI websites / Apps there are plenty of options for overnight parking, H2O fill up and dumping toilet cassette. Has anyone used HomePage - Safe Nights Ireland There seem to be plenty of overnight POIs so I doubt it has got much to add. Part of the time we will be there it will be the Easter two-week holiday so I suppose it will be a bit busier.

Ireland seems to have a different approach to disposing of household rubbish, i.e. no putting this in public bins. Online I found details of 37 'List of Pay to Use Compactor Units' so I guess it is a matter of saving the rubbish and dumping once a week.

We were thinking about whether to go anticlockwise or clockwsie around the coast from Belfast. Just found a book 'Exploring Ireland's Wild Atlantic Way' by Eugene O'Loughlin - who did it on a Harley. Nicely written with a lot of detail about things that are probably not in most guidebooks. He started from Kinsale - so it looks like we will head south from Belfast. There is also Tony Hawk's book 'Round Ireland with a Fridge' which we read many years ago. The plan, such that it is, is to follow the coast but we will be thinking about how we can also experience some of the inland areas.

Any advice on hidden gems would be appreciated.e.g.
    - overnight POIs with amazing views,
    - pubs with traditional music
    - coastal areas worth missing to explore inland, for example on the way south the Mourne Mountains and Wicklow Mountains

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Laika EcoVip 712
    County Clare is a must. Lots of wild landscape and sea that crashes into the Granite Rocks. They do like their Guinness and Craic There always seems to be someone with a musical instrument thats joined by others and away it goes. Must say that the Guinness out there is far nicer than you ever get in the Uk. Have a great time.
    Likes delicagirl liked this post
    Thanks UFO thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    iveco iris lib bus
    I live here ,n/ireland and tour round republic a lot.
    If i were you id head up antrim coast where there is lots to see and loads of places to wild not forgeting the glens.
    Go up round the coast to magiligan and take ferry to republic or go on round to derry and head to letterkenny,from here go to national park and then on up to erigal mountain,what a vieu ,then into dunlewey centre.
    From here you can go round the west coast atlantic drive,oh dont forget the dough famin village right up top ,do try and go to dunree fort,this is where the british first would war fleet left on there way to jutland.
    From here on down to donegal town,the rest is up to you but i will tell you most of the best bits are of the beaten track and not the so called tour roots
    Only dirty people wash

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Elddis Autoquest 115.
    We sent a night at carlingford loch marina 8 euros for the night discount off meals at the local restaurant 20 minutes walk into town several nice bars, found the Irish coast to be stunning, not so pretty away from the coast as bonnie Scotland however following the Shannon is pretty awesome as well, they do have a lot of traveller problems in certain parts of Ireland so some counties can have lots of height barriers in the scenic carparks, regarding household waste we tended to book a site to stay at overnight every 3rd night just to clear our waste, have a good shower and take on fresh water etc.
    Today's rain is tomorrow's Whisky

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Chausson flash 510
    Quote Originally Posted by UFO View Post
    Ferry booked - Birkenhead-Belfast-Birkenhead for four weeks in Ireland in April.

Looking at the usual POI websites / Apps there are plenty of options for overnight parking, H2O fill up and dumping toilet cassette. Has anyone used HomePage - Safe Nights Ireland There seem to be plenty of overnight POIs so I doubt it has got much to add. Part of the time we will be there it will be the Easter two-week holiday so I suppose it will be a bit busier.

Ireland seems to have a different approach to disposing of household rubbish, i.e. no putting this in public bins. Online I found details of 37 'List of Pay to Use Compactor Units' so I guess it is a matter of saving the rubbish and dumping once a week.

We were thinking about whether to go anticlockwise or clockwsie around the coast from Belfast. Just found a book 'Exploring Ireland's Wild Atlantic Way' by Eugene O'Loughlin - who did it on a Harley. Nicely written with a lot of detail about things that are probably not in most guidebooks. He started from Kinsale - so it looks like we will head south from Belfast. There is also Tony Hawk's book 'Round Ireland with a Fridge' which we read many years ago. The plan, such that it is, is to follow the coast but we will be thinking about how we can also experience some of the inland areas.

Any advice on hidden gems would be appreciated.e.g.
    - overnight POIs with amazing views,
    - pubs with traditional music
    - coastal areas worth missing to explore inland, for example on the way south the Mourne Mountains and Wicklow Mountains
    Used to go to Ireland several times a year but pre motorhome . I'm sure many on here will have lots of information . Still think best city is Galway , west coast , like Scotland , is best .
    Beware Good Friday if you like a pint . Spent a few , mostly in Dublin , only bar you could drink in was your hotel bar . Restaurants that were open were dry too

Member Number
    http://www.rebbyvid.co.uk/
    Likes hulio liked this post
    Thanks Silver sprinter thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    iveco iris lib bus
    All depends on how long one is staying here,i find the futher down you go the more like mainland england,defo would not go any where near dublin,up norf lad if its wilding you want,roads are good to.
    This is the worst rd which is over mountain short cut to kinnego bay from ferry where you can over night in carpark
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Only dirty people wash
    Likes Silver sprinter, hulio, delicagirl liked this post

Member Number
    Quote Originally Posted by UFO View Post
    How do we get around this Trev
    Likes delicagirl liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    iveco iris lib bus
    Quote Originally Posted by witzend View Post
    How do we get around this Trev
    Some harbers and hotels have bins which for a small fee may let you dump,no such nonsence in the north,thing is we pay high rates up norf the republic do not have rates but must buy tickets to dump in refuge yards.
    If it were me id use a hotel / bar bin and ask to pay or buy a meal.
    Only dirty people wash
    Thanks witzend, Silver sprinter thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Hymer B598PL
    Safe nights ireland is not much used as far as I can see. Few have a good word for it. Motorhomecraic is the answer for questions and threads on all sorts of stopping places. For about 5 you can get the motorhomeparking app (linked to craic) it is an annual recurring payment but can be set for 1 year only. Loads of parking spots, wild, pubs, waterways, harbours and sites.

We live here in N. Ireland and as suggested visit a site every few days for stretch out showers, laundry and rubbish etc. when we go south. An excellent method of seeing some of inland Ireland is to follow the Shannon river from limerick right up to lough Erne in Fermanagh. Pretty much all of the public marinas operated by waterways Ireland can supply water, toilets and rubbish disposal, and can be stayed at overnight. Call at a tourist office or check their website for free publications on locations or you can buy the linear navigation map for the details. Particularly in the north you can buy a swipe card with 10 units which will access the showers and laundry on the Woodford waterway link between L. Erne and the Shannon river.

Loads of pubs and restaurants allow overnight parking in exchange for purchase of a meal or drinks and some charge 10 with no obligation to buy services. Many of these can be found on the app or trawling through craic.

Enjoy your trip.

Davy
    Likes trevskoda liked this post
    Thanks Silver sprinter, UFO thanked for this post

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information