CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: National Trust - Worth it?

Member Number
    Motorhome
    VW LT 2.8TDi Self-Build Camperbus

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Quote Originally Posted by taximan View Post
    If you really want to save money on membership, join Zimbabwe version. Costs about £10 and gives reciprocal free entry to both NT and English Heritage.
    To get senior rate at NT you have to have 5 years continuous membership. That why we joined NTS .

Membership Ė National Trust of Zimbabwe
    Nice idea, but ....
    "Please note, that at this time we are only able to offer membership to people living in Zimbabwe"
    Fed up with the Whingers and Moaners. PMs Turned Off. Sayonara

Member Number
    Motorhome
    High top van conversion
    We've been members of Scottish NT for over 30 years,last 20 years as life members which cost £500 at the time,more than had our money back.Have stopped overnight at some remote spots,most of the main sites would not allow overnight stays.
    Why not join for one year,if it doesn't suit you haven't lost much, you will have visited places you wouldn't normally go to.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Rapido A class

Worth It

Its £6 a month for oldies and I don't miss that of my bank account. I would however miss the Sometimes £5 parking charge and the £11 each entry fee to some places. You only have to visit a couple of stately piles and you will have accounted for your membership fee, after that everything is free, its a no brainier for us.
    Likes jann liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Renault Master (Self Built)
    I haven't read any of the other replies to the OP's question, but here are my thoughts.

Although my house looks directly into the grounds of the NT's Woolsthorpe Manor and that I have visited quite a few of their properties over the years, I steadfastly refuse to join the NT as IMHO they are not exactly dog friendly and as I live my life for the company of my 3 rescued spaniels that is that!

Mind you I have some close friends who live over in Norfolk and the NT owns one hell of a lot of property and land over there many of which allow dogs both on and off leads and when visiting we walk for mile after mile through their lands, but having said that, in other parts of the country we have come across so many of their estates where dogs are not allowed.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Hymer B564 Lionheart 2001
    Quote Originally Posted by iandsm View Post
    Its £6 a month for oldies and I don't miss that of my bank account. I would however miss the Sometimes £5 parking charge and the £11 each entry fee to some places. You only have to visit a couple of stately piles and you will have accounted for your membership fee, after that everything is free, its a no brainier for us.
    I donít know about a couple of piles as at £70 a membership thatís a few more visits than a couple

Member Number
    Motorhome
    VW T6 conversion
    Quote Originally Posted by silverweed View Post
    I donít know about a couple of piles as at £70 a membership thatís a few more visits than a couple

Weíre visiting Crathes Castle in Scotland as OH is running the Park Run there and are going to tour the castle as itís going to be a rainy Saterday going on the long range forecast !! Weíve decided to join the SNT as it was going to be £26 for the both of us to go in if we paid on the day for a visit plus I think there are carpark charges as well so really going on those prices I would say 3 visits to cover the years costs would be about right.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Rapido A class
    Quote Originally Posted by silverweed View Post
    If you want to be pedantic Felbrig in Norfolk is £12.80 each so that's £25.60 plus £5 parking = £30.60, so two visits and you are £8.80 short and three visits gives you £21.80 in hand. Blickling is £16.50 each so thats £33.00 plus £5 parking = £38, so two visits and you are £6 in hand.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    none
    The thing is, how many people are willing to pay these high "single visit" prices and is it reasonable to charge £5 or more for parking as well ?
    I think they are set at such a high price to "encourage" visitors to pay the annual fee.
    As a Scot I am a member of the NTS and visit sites in Scotland, England and Wales regularly but probably would not visit otherwise ( but that may be because I am a Scot !).
    Likes Debroos, ironman liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    VW transporter
    Quote Originally Posted by iandsm View Post
    If you want to be pedantic Felbrig in Norfolk is £12.80 each so that's £25.60 plus £5 parking = £30.60, so two visits and you are £8.80 short and three visits gives you £21.80 in hand. Blickling is £16.50 each so thats £33.00 plus £5 parking = £38, so two visits and you are £6 in hand.
    To be reeelly pedantic...you are quoting for 2 people visiting but using the individual membership fee.
    The joint fee for a couple is £120 a year so you would need to visit almost 4 times to get your money back.

Also the individual fee is £72 not 70 hence making you £10.80 short not 8.80! 😉

Either way I think their fees are outrageous and exclude so many who cannot afford them, thus going directly against those who donated their propertis for the public to enjoy.
    Especially as they are apparently sitting on almost a billion pounds in reserves (not including the properties).
    Likes Alf liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Rapido A class
    Quote Originally Posted by Debroos View Post
    To be reeelly pedantic...you are quoting for 2 people visiting but using the individual membership fee.
    The joint fee for a couple is £120 a year so you would need to visit almost 4 times to get your money back.

Also the individual fee is £72 not 70 hence making you £10.80 short not 8.80! ��

Either way I think their fees are outrageous and exclude so many who cannot afford them, thus going directly against those who donated their propertis for the public to enjoy.
    Especially as they are apparently sitting on almost a billion pounds in reserves (not including the properties).
    To be really really pedantic. I quote two people, actually joint membership is £6 monthly so £72 per year for the pair of us.
    Last edited by iandsm; 12-06-2019 at 14:36.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information