Thread: Exhausted

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Autosleeper Talisman

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Quote Originally Posted by Tezza33 View Post
    Devimead used A65 crankcases and A10 cranks
    Hello Terry,
    There were some weird and wonderful conversions going on, I seem to remember they had the short stroke A10 engine. If my memory serves me, I believe they used A7 conrods and shortened the barrels, drilling and re-tapping the stud holes. I would presume this was done prior to the A65 being built.

Rae & Ann
    Oh the posh posh travelling life, the travelling life for me.

Member Number
    As you know Rae, anything is possible, I am trying to remember which pistons were used to increase the cubic capacity from 654cc to 740cc, to go to 830cc I know the A10 crank was used because it had a longer throw than the A65, it is all a long time ago but Les Mason who owned Devimead at the time and was riding himself to start with preferred to use A65 cases, Les retired as a rider and the BSA side of Devimead was sold to SRM Engineering in Wales

SRM Engineering
    Unit 22 Glanyrafon
    Enterprise Park
    Aberystwyth
    Ceredigion
    SY23 3JQ
    UK

Member Number
    Motorhome
    iveco iris lib bus
    Bringing back memories now Trev, I had three DBD34's and a couple of DBD32's, I also had a few Rocket Gold Stars, I raced a Devimead BSA Spitfire MK4 Special for a while, quicker than a Bonneville and handled better but without the Devimead conversion they blew up a lot because of the timing side bush, Devimead developed a needle roller bearing for the timing side so the engine was lubricated better, they also did a 740cc conversion which was homologated for Production Racing, unbeatable until the Honda CB750 was launched, happy days
    Worked with a chap here who ran a grass tracker outfit with the bsa engine worked to 900cc,pos stroked and bored.
    Only dirty people wash

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Autosleeper Talisman
    Quote Originally Posted by trevskoda View Post
    Worked with a chap here who ran a grass tracker outfit with the bsa engine worked to 900cc,pos stroked and bored.
    Hello Trev,
    They used a Norton Dommie crank, not sure if they used Triumph rods or not.

Rae & Ann

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Autosleeper Talisman
    Devimead was sold to SRM
    Hello Terry,
    Steve McFarlane started up SRM but sold it on, he now makes electric starts for A10s.......rather impressive.

Rae & Ann
    Likes Tezza33 liked this post
    Thanks Tezza33 thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Autosleeper Talisman

Rae & Ann
    Likes Tezza33 liked this post
    Thanks Tezza33 thanked for this post

Member Number
    Quote Originally Posted by StreetSleeper View Post
    Hello Terry,
    Steve McFarlane started up SRM but sold it on, he now makes electric starts for A10s.......rather impressive.

Rae & Ann
    Hi Rae, sorry I missed the bit where you mentioned SRM earlier, is your timing side conversion the same as Devimeads (roller bearing) because SRM had their own conversion before taking over the BSA side of Devimead, I didn't realise that SRM were still going but thanks to this thread I have just looked them up, I think it is great that they have adapted to the market and kept going, I love the electric start, production racing in the late 60's was started by kickstart, as the flag dropped everyone was kicking away trying to get a good start, in 1969 the Honda CB750 was allowed to start with the electric start (already in gear and the clutch lever pulled in) and was 100M away before anyone else got their engine started, can you imagine the faces on the other competitors trying to push start the sidecars when you could just press a button
    Likes StreetSleeper liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Autosleeper Talisman
    is your timing side conversion the same as Devimeads
    Hello Terry,
    I had my conversion done about 20 years ago and, in one season, I managed to knock the drive side bearing out which, in turn, killed the oil pump. Fortunately, no damage was done to the rest of the engine but after this incident I lost all faith in my BSA that I had previously ridden for 15 years on a timing side bush. A few years ago I was describing what had happened and I was informed........ah yeah, there was a batch of dodgy bearings, you must have got one but being that we had just bought a brand spanking new 650 Deauville, the BSA could sit where it was (in the front room).
    Getting back to the conversion, it uses a needle and ball combined bearing; seemingly it allows a certain amount of flex and stops end float. My first aluminium pressure plate used to have Devimead cast on the side, the one I have now looks exactly the same except it's got SRM on it.

Rae & Ann

Member Number
    Quote Originally Posted by StreetSleeper View Post
    Hello Terry,

Getting back to the conversion, it uses a needle and ball combined bearing; seemingly it allows a certain amount of flex and stops end float. My first aluminium pressure plate used to have Devimead cast on the side, the one I have now looks exactly the same except it's got SRM on it.

Rae & Ann
    That sounds like the Devimead one, the original plain bush used to wear and you lost oil pressure, SRM conversions to start with was just a thicker plain bearing which meant the crank could be ground undersize but they took over the complete BSA project from Devimead when they concentrated on Hondas, If I get up to Scotland I would love to see them

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Autosleeper Talisman
    If I get up to Scotland I would love to see them
    Hello Terry,
    At the moment it's down south getting restored professionally. Ann and myself decided it was time to downsize our collection of motorcycles so, basically, I sold five of my collection and ploughed the money into getting a professional restoration. The guy that is doing it I've known since I was 17 and does a wonderful job on restoring classic motorcycles. He knows all the right places to go to get the appropriate work done so it was nice just to hand it over and wait until the finished article is completed. A part of the agreement was he would fit it in when he had no work on and so a time of completion has never been talked about. Once it's finished we're hoping to tow it behind the motorhome so when we get to our destination we can use it as our everyday transport.

Rae & Ann

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information