CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: applecross

Member Number
    Motorhome
    vw t5

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Quote Originally Posted by SHABBINS View Post
    When I did Applecross the rule was downhill give way and use passing place either side. Surprising how many people think they can only use the passing place on their side of the road.
    You should always give way to the vehicle coming uphill not just on the pass.
    Likes Alf liked this post
    Thanks Alf thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    vw t5
    The eight wheeler 32 ton truck that empties the bottle banks at Applecross manages over the pass😱.
    Likes Alf, mark61 liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    VW T5 Auto-Sleepers Trooper
    Those now seem to be old fashioned ideas I was always taught to give way to uphill traffic ( under powered engines and bad clutches) I still give way to any uphill vehicles wherever possible mostly with no acknowledgement these days.

Alf

Quote Originally Posted by caledonia View Post
    You should always give way to the vehicle coming uphill not just on the pass.
    Thanks caledonia thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    I have always been under the impression that you just stop alongside the passing place if it's at the other side of the road. Only pull into the passing places on your side of the road. Obviously this can change depending on circumstances.
    It would not be the first time I have stopped at a passing place only to be overtaken by following traffic then had to wait ubtill one or the other gave way and reversed.

Alf
    Last edited by Alf; 07-04-2019 at 14:07.
    Likes caledonia, Silver sprinter liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    I remember going round the peninsula when the road was first completed in the mid 70,s at that time many of the single track roads were two strips of tarmac with grass between you could travel for what seemed like hours before meeting a car, a fortnight in the Highlands and perhaps see only 4 or 5 campers rare enough to stop in the road for a chat with no other traffic. Good times indeed most villages welcomed you and brought small children out to see the wee home on wheels.
    The Snow Blower was taken away a few years ago its on the east coast somewhere it was deemed too expensive to run..

Alf

Quote Originally Posted by maxi77 View Post
    Just watched the video, very good. That road has been much improved since I crossed it regularly nearly 50 years ago.Then there was no safety barrier and the first hairpin was so sharp I had to do a shuffle to get round with a LWB Landy. On my best trip it was snowy and we met the landrover based snow plough on the hairpin and then the tracked snow blower on the rise to the summit
    Thanks Silver sprinter thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    N+B Arto 69GL(2003)
    Quote Originally Posted by caledonia View Post
    The eight wheeler 32 ton truck that empties the bottle banks at Applecross manages over the pass😱.
    It might have rear-wheel steer.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Lunar Premier H622

6,5 Metre Coachbuilt

Great..
    It was so misty I could not see the drops.
    danger:

Member Number
    Motorhome
    vw t5
    Quote Originally Posted by nicholsong View Post
    It might have rear-wheel steer.
    No 8x4 both rear axles driven. They have recently put up signs to stop trucks using the road but it doesn’t stop Ross😂.
    Thanks nicholsong thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Niessmann Bischcoff Arto 690E
    How time flies, this was two year ago!!

Nightmare day.
    The value of a man should be seen in what he gives and not in what he is able to receive.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Nope
    Went to Applecross a couple of years ago as part of a tour of Scotland. Bit wet and misty going over but no real problems, a few folk didn’t seem to grasp the concept of passing places but hey ho, we’re not all perfect. Then we arrived and called at the pub/hotel. What a bunch of miserable unhelpful folk they were. Ordered drinks, asked for menu, asked if we could stop overnight and were told in no uncertain terms that we couldn’t. Car park was maybe a quarter full. Sacked it and spent the night in Toscaig.

Pat

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread Information