CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The "Golden Age of Motorhoming" is....

Bill C is offline Free Member
    Spouse: Cathy

Member Number
    Motorhome
    None

The "Golden Age of Motorhoming" is....

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    ...dead.
    It's not want you want to hear is it. It's certainly not what I wanted to hear just as I am about to purchase my first motorhome. Tell me more I said but he wouldn't elaborate other than say "Motorhomes are not welcome in this country anymore. You'll find out. Do you want to buy this or what?"
    Well I didn't buy it. It had a funky lived in smell that put me off a bit and was more worn out on the inside than on the outside. But what he said got me thinking. The POIs on here show plenty of places to wild camp and there are also 100s of small campsites both good and bad. Not to mention France and Spain.....
    But what do you guys who have been doing this for years think? Was it better in the past than it is now? I suppose it's easy to view the past in rose tinted glasses. Is there still a good time to be had or will it just all be hassle?
    Likes barryd liked this post

mariesnowgoose is offline Unreformed Mongoose
    Name: Marie
    Spouse: Neilyg

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Ford Legend Auto-Sleeper 1988 Diesel
    Nah. It's not dead

There's just a lot more PEOPLE on the planet, so whatever activity you choose to undertake there will be a lot more people trying to do the same thing than there was a few years back.

I expect it just makes it increasingly harder to find those quiet, out of the way spots, as no doubt a lot of those are getting busier & busier year on year - this is from someone who currently hardly ever gets away in the camper, so ignore my waffle if you want!

If somewhere becomes not nice to be any more I guess you just have to keep moving until you find somewhere else that is.

And I'm dead certain there are still lots of lovely, peaceful places out there to discover. All depends where you're looking
    Life: unfinished threads in a never-ending tapestry
    Marie
    Likes Alf liked this post
    Thanks Pauljenny, Alf thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Bentley Ochre
    I'd say that we're still in the golden age in that it's possible to drive a van almost everywhere. Within a couple of years my van will be banned from my nearest city for environmental reasons and a few years later my nearest town will ban it for similar reasons. 40 such areas planned in Scotland alone and similar restrictions in the pipeline all over Europe.
    There are certainly plenty of quiet scenic places to stay, just avoid those where hoards of vans gather annoying the local populace.
    Get out and enjoy things while it's still allowed.
    2CV
    Thanks Pauljenny, mariesnowgoose thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    swift
    The biggest problem is by the sea. Still plenty scenic spots even in England. I think Scotland sounds to be overrun with overseas visitors, but i'm guessing there will be remote scenic stops there too.
    Likes Alf liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    iveco iris lib bus
    We are still ok here in the north of ireland and around donegal,but when i were a lad on motorbike there was very few cars over the border as folks could not afford them ans any that were there were at least 15 years old or more and far and few between.
    Now things have changed in the last 20 years with ireland joining the c/market which got them new roads, jobs,money,so more folk driving but the upturn is new places open and things to do as its no longer a backwater.
    So if wilding is your thing then do try a trip over here and if the weather holds it will be the best trip and money well spent.
    Last edited by trevskoda; 30-06-2018 at 21:40.
    Only dirty people wash
    Likes time4t, RoadTrek Boy, Alf liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    see picture
    I've been "wildcamping" in a motorhome since 1960. In the early days it was unusual to see more than one other motor caravan every few days.

Over time it has got easier. There are more places to stop, better information. Yes, there are places where excessive motorhome use has annoyed the locals - mostly on southern coastal fringes.

Overall, I think motorhomes have become more tolerated as they have become more popular. Clearly there are narrow-minded places with caravan site owning councillors seeking to make life difficult, but there is nothing new about corruption in local government.

Gradually councils are waking up to the reality that motorhomes bring tourist spend. And there is no question that the grey pound is a major player in most seaside towns' economies.
    Thanks Pauljenny thanked for this post

Pauljenny is offline Failed jackpot winner
    Name: Where's Me- Wallet
    Spouse: Long suffering

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Bentley Indigo
    From where we stand,after 19 years on the road, It's a lot easier now. More places to stay, better support services, refillable gas cylinders, better quality vans.
    The only downside is that if we're all using the same, easily available information for wildcamping, we'll all end up in the same places.
    The fun is finding those hidden gems... Usually by getting fellow travellers drunk .
    It's not where you live... It's HOW you live..
    Likes 2cv, trevskoda, DnK, Alf liked this post

Bill C is offline Free Member
    Spouse: Cathy

Member Number
    Motorhome
    None
    I'm liking the positivity of these replies.
    Likes Norad60 liked this post

Pauljenny is offline Failed jackpot winner
    Name: Where's Me- Wallet
    Spouse: Long suffering

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Bentley Indigo
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill C View Post
    I'm liking the positivity of these replies.
    Yeah, it's this unusually sunny weather.
    Normal service will be resumed soon.
    It's not where you live... It's HOW you live..

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Auto sleeper nuevo
    Wild camping is free , councils get nowt, taxman gets nowt,, theirs nowt for nowt in this country ,
    Likes Pauljenny, trevskoda, Alf liked this post

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information