CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What Tools and Spares do you carry?

Member Number
    Motorhome
    VW LT 2.8TDi Self-Build Camperbus

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Quote Originally Posted by Byronic View Post
    But you can't generally call the recovery service if your waste tank has worked loose, some wiring in the
    hab area has burnt out. window or vent leaks, or the elevating bed jams etc. etc. if you don't carry "some" basic tools, and know how to use them then you're at the mercy of whomever you have to call upon to fix
    or bodge, possibly in the back of beyond.
    I've heard tales of recovery services taking hours to get to a call out, typically say a puncture,
    something which only normally only takes 15 minutes.
    Exactly so.

In a car you may be able to rely on AA/etc. but in a Campervan it is a different situation entirely. And even if YOU are not in a position to use tools carried (ability/strength/mobility), maybe someone who can will be able to help out?

In my list I could have added Spare Wheel and also Heavy Duty Tyre Inflator.
    (plus half a bottle of Rum if all else fails )
    Fed up with the Whingers and Moaners. PMs Turned Off. Sayonara
    Likes N/A, trevskoda, daygoboy liked this post

Byronic Guest
    It's all down to personal choice, I would never preach what I believe to be best for any
    particular individual, only for myself. I can quite understand somebody setting off for
    their annual 3 or 4 weeks relaxation just throwing a certain level of caution to the wind and relying on recovery
    and getting someone else, paid or otherwise to sort out any problems. Even if they
    themselves happen to be a time served mechanic, gas engineer and electrician rolled into one
    with the physique of Arnie.
    If you haven't got the skills or physical capabilities then you have no choice, other than as
    has been said you carry a few things with you, especially if specific to your vehicle. Numero one IMO
    is to have the Handbook with you, the number of times I've seen and had vehicles jacked
    on the wrong point by the likes of Quik Fit "trained" fitters! Then the poor old owner drives
    off wondering why his vehicle steers different. "You must have hit a pothole mate".LOL

If you own a Boxer, Ducato van of the specific vintage and you suspect it may be a 5th gear failure victim,
    it may not be overkill to carry an overhaul kit, if you can get one that is!
    Last edited by Byronic; 07-09-2018 at 15:43.
    Likes trevskoda liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Adria Sonic Supreme

Water pump

Resurrecting this thread

Return to the U.K. in a few weeks so ordering door catches etc that have failed on this trip.

I know various people have told me that a spare water pump is also a pare one should carry ... ours will be 3 years old soon. So Iíve emailed Lilie to see if they still make the one we have / what is the drop in replacement.

We havenít got spare internal LEDs - should we?

Anything else?

Thanks
    Katherine

Member Number
    Motorhome
    VW T4 Holdsworth

Tools

Socket set common selections, selection of ring spanners, screwdrivers and two pinch bars, small 12v compressor 250 psi max.
    Selection of fuses,electrical connectors,insulation tape,various electrical cable and trusty multimeter.
    Spare bulbs completed kit for T4, some spare led lights for hab area.

Engine oil small bottle of coolant spare alternator belt, spare wing mirror glass (cracked but in van as a spare if one of the others goes south) and the most important GAFFA Tape

And my AA card but i do like the idea of being self sufficient.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.
    Likes Clunegapyears liked this post
    Thanks Clunegapyears thanked for this post

Member Number
    Quote Originally Posted by mjvw View Post
    Socket set common selections, selection of ring spanners, screwdrivers and two pinch bars, small 12v compressor 250 psi max.:
    I wouldn't worry too much about such a high pressure rating. So long as it exceeds the max. tyre pressure
    you need,then it's a good air flow rate that makes the pump practical to use. The Ring models all have
    their Litres per Minute stated for comparison, and how long it takes to inflate a car tyre from O to say
    35psi or something similar.
    High pressure, but small volume means you'll likely be waiting all day.
    Likes trevskoda liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    1989 Fiat
    A decent length of scaffold pipe to crack wheel nuts that some prat has over stressed with an air wrench,also apart from what others have mentioned a decent trolley jack.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    09 Fiat Ducato 2.3 Swift Mondial RL
    Quote Originally Posted by Topmast View Post
    A decent length of scaffold pipe to crack wheel nuts that some prat has over stressed with an air wrench,also apart from what others have mentioned a decent trolley jack.
    Why not sort your nuts out before you go anywhere rather than carry scaffold poles, or do you like overtight nuts.
    Likes daygoboy liked this post

Member Number
    Studs lubricated when they are perhaps specified as to be nutted up dry, plus overtorqued wheelnuts, (typically airwrenched), overloaded vehicle, plus when driving as the wheel turning it simultaneously hits a pothole, all adds up to a massive FOS requirement that the designer has to allow for. If he didn't, you would probably be able to get a sub 3500kg m/home with a decent payload, and the crap jack the manufacture often supplies might then be usable

Even so it's a wonder you don't see the roads plastered with dead wheels every day.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    sprinter banger
    Quote Originally Posted by wildebus View Post
    Following on from a couple of posts on Delicavans Weight Saving Thread and to avoid taking that off-topic more, thought it might be interesting to see what folk carry in order to sort day-to-day issues and 'situations' when on the road?

This is my set of hand tools

Van Tools
    by David, on Flickr
    Open End/Ratchet Spanners: There is some duplication in Spanners there, but quite often you need a spanner on a bolt and another on the nut (and I have them anyway)
    Socket Set: old and beaten up but doesn't take much room up
    Long Socket Bits: a few vehicle fastenings have long mounting bolts
    Screwdrivers: Screwdriver Handle + Bits Set & set of 32 Mixed Bits covering all sorts of weird esoteric screw heads found nowdays
    Heavy Pliers/Cutters: Always handy to have Pliers
    Stanley Knife: As above
    Wire Cutters/Crimpers: These is the 'Spare to Backup' one. Over 30 years old and still work fine.
    Soldering Iron & Solder: AA Battery Powered. not got a good running life but as a GOTS Iron it is fine
    MC4 Connectors and Release Tool: Just a handy 'just in case' to have if you have Solar on the roof using MC4 (I have 12 MC4 connectors on my roof)
    Insulation Tape & Cable Ties, Selection of Connectors and Fuses.
    Step Drill Bits: saves having to carry a load of different sizes. I find these Step Drills dead handy.

All that lot fill up around 1/2 an Ammo Box and lives in the back of the van

Tool Box
    by David, on Flickr
    I also keep a few metres of electrical cable in the box.

In addition to that lot, I tend to have an Cordless Drill with Battery and Charger in the rear garage, Duct Tape (of course!) and an Extendable Ladder.
    something I need to add in is a selection of random nuts and bolts ... no use having a spanner to tighten a nut if the nut has fallen off and disappeared (as I found at Drudridge where a single little nut had fallen off my Zero Gravity chair and rendered it useless - I later robbed one off my table to put on the chair and used the Duct tape on the table to stop the now unsecured bolt falling out )

Oh, and I have a selection of spare vehicle light bulbs as well as standard Bottle Jack and Breaker bar as wheel wrench.

What tools and spares do you carry?
    mine's similar, except for a good length of braided nylon rope and a knowledge of basic knots.
    what will you do if you're stuck in wet grass or mud ? who's carrying rope strong enough to pull a camper
    what if she says does 'my bum look big?' and you decide to answer honestly?
    very fiddly topping yourself with cable ties
    too blessed to be stressed
    Likes helmit, Clunegapyears, trevskoda liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Adria Sonic Supreme
    A few have mentioned a multimeter ... weíve lithiumís and Viktron MPPT 100/50 - do we need a multimeter? If we took any readings, Iíd be back on here asking what they mean!
    Checked our tool box and have most items ... not a long rod ... no intension of tyre changing ... MH nearly 5 ton.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information