CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What Tools and Spares do you carry?

Member Number
    Motorhome
    VW LT 2.8TDi Self-Build Camperbus

What Tools and Spares do you carry?

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Following on from a couple of posts on Delicavans Weight Saving Thread and to avoid taking that off-topic more, thought it might be interesting to see what folk carry in order to sort day-to-day issues and 'situations' when on the road?

This is my set of hand tools

Van Tools
    by David, on Flickr
    Open End/Ratchet Spanners: There is some duplication in Spanners there, but quite often you need a spanner on a bolt and another on the nut (and I have them anyway)
    Socket Set: old and beaten up but doesn't take much room up
    Long Socket Bits: a few vehicle fastenings have long mounting bolts
    Screwdrivers: Screwdriver Handle + Bits Set & set of 32 Mixed Bits covering all sorts of weird esoteric screw heads found nowdays
    Heavy Pliers/Cutters: Always handy to have Pliers
    Stanley Knife: As above
    Wire Cutters/Crimpers: These is the 'Spare to Backup' one. Over 30 years old and still work fine.
    Soldering Iron & Solder: AA Battery Powered. not got a good running life but as a GOTS Iron it is fine
    MC4 Connectors and Release Tool: Just a handy 'just in case' to have if you have Solar on the roof using MC4 (I have 12 MC4 connectors on my roof)
    Insulation Tape & Cable Ties, Selection of Connectors and Fuses.
    Step Drill Bits: saves having to carry a load of different sizes. I find these Step Drills dead handy.

All that lot fill up around 1/2 an Ammo Box and lives in the back of the van

Tool Box
    by David, on Flickr
    I also keep a few metres of electrical cable in the box.

In addition to that lot, I tend to have an Cordless Drill with Battery and Charger in the rear garage, Duct Tape (of course!) and an Extendable Ladder.
    something I need to add in is a selection of random nuts and bolts ... no use having a spanner to tighten a nut if the nut has fallen off and disappeared (as I found at Drudridge where a single little nut had fallen off my Zero Gravity chair and rendered it useless - I later robbed one off my table to put on the chair and used the Duct tape on the table to stop the now unsecured bolt falling out )

Oh, and I have a selection of spare vehicle light bulbs as well as standard Bottle Jack and Breaker bar as wheel wrench.

What tools and spares do you carry?
    Fed up with the Whingers and Moaners. PMs Turned Off. Sayonara
    Likes Clunegapyears liked this post
    Thanks mickymost thanked for this post

Beemer is offline Full Member
    Name: Dave
    Spouse: Christine

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Eura Mobil Practica 690
    I once got stuck in the woods, and had to use a chain and puller to get me out.
    Not anymore, I have a 12v winch, strops, D shackles, ropes and earth anchor, including the standard bread basket plates.
    Yes it does add weight to the motorhome.
    I also have a small electrical wiring toolbox, but no large spanners or other tools, other that what is needed to change a wheel, including swopping the useless scissor jack for a heavier bottle jack.
    I have breakdown cover for whatever else happens.
    Last edited by Beemer; 07-09-2018 at 12:07.
    Likes QFour liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Mitsubishi delica JB500
    fuses, lamps for all external lights, fan belt, spare wheel, "odds n sods box" - screws, strong black sticky tape, length of chain, string, pegs, sewing kit, spare phone and laptop charger, multi meter (thank you alf), multi-use swiss army knife, screwdrivers, 2 pliers, electrical wire stripping gizmo, oil, torches (in almost every cupboard!!)
    Likes Clunegapyears liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Self-build
    I carry tools and spares to cover any eventually that I can think of.... It ensures that when I get stuck it's for exciting reasons that I'd not thought of.
    Likes R0B, harrow, wildebus, Beemer liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Mitsubishi delica JB500
    loads of spare keks

Member Number
    As times have changed, these days,

a mobile phone,

a vehicle phone charger for the mobile phone

and access to the internet

and of course breakdown cover
    Likes delicagirl, trevskoda, Obanboy666 liked this post

Deleted user 48797 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by delicagirl View Post
    loads of spare keks
    Ha ha you'll be ok if you have an accident then.
    3 years ago I fell from the 3rd rung of a ladder while cleaning the roof of the van. Now because it was a wet job I was wearing old clothes and trainers so when I arrived at A&E I was in a proper state. The staff must have thought poor old fellow then proceeded to cut off all my clothes including my favourite rugby shirt that cannot be replaced and binned the lot and being on gas and air I only found out later.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    iveco iris lib bus
    So most of you dont carry a kit to change a wheel and fit a fan belt which of course you also carry, a mobile.
    Last edited by trevskoda; 07-09-2018 at 15:34.
    Only dirty people wash

Member Number
    Motorhome
    nuevo
    I carry an up to date AA card nothing else!
    I have neither the space nor the weight capacity to carry a tool kit and even if I had one most of the time I wouldnt know what to do with it

So most of you dont carry a kit to change a wheel
    when I bought my first motorhome the dealer advised that I throw away the jack before I was tempted to use it!
    My last puncture was in Kirkwall AA had a man out in 15 minutes.

Byronic Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by harrow View Post
    As times have changed, these days,

a mobile phone,

a vehicle phone charger for the mobile phone

and access to the internet

and of course breakdown cover
    But you can't generally call the recovery service if your waste tank has worked loose, some wiring in the
    hab area has burnt out. window or vent leaks, or the elevating bed jams etc. etc. if you don't carry "some" basic tools, and know how to use them then you're at the mercy of whomever you have to call upon to fix
    or bodge, possibly in the back of beyond.
    I've heard tales of recovery services taking hours to get to a call out, typically say a puncture,
    something which only normally only takes 15 minutes.
    Likes N/A, mickymost, trevskoda liked this post
    Thanks wildebus thanked for this post

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information