CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Posting reviews of stop overs

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Laika EcoVip 712

Posting reviews of stop overs

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    We use the POI but then wonder what the place weíve chosen is like. Is there anywhere on the forum where you can leave a review, so itís possible to check somewhere out before you get there?

Mrs QFour
    Likes jacquigem, Mobilvetta, LindsayH liked this post
    Thanks Alf, peter palance thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    see picture
    I think that the promised new WC app was going to have reviews, but unfortunately that was apparently contracted out to some company that can't do it and the project seems to have lapsed.
    Perhaps when wildcamping moves to the same forum software as motorhomer and selfbuild, reviews will be brought in, but it seems to me that there has been too much diverging and the focus on wildcamping has been slightly sidelined in the forum's attentions. I hope I'm wrong.
    Likes spigot, blights liked this post
    Thanks peter palance thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Burstner
    I am against having reviews at all. It will mean the places with the best reviews get used more and will disappear quicker.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Auto-Trail Frontier Comanche
    Only way would be a functional app such as park for night - i find that good as it allows 1st hand and latest info to be shared, good abroad and more places in the UK are added to it now, along with POI off this group for UK spots. As far less spots are now in the UK I go abroad 100 nights a year so the POI off this group has become a bit redundant.
    Last edited by MidAgeTraveller; 11-10-2018 at 08:08.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Auto-Trail Frontier Comanche
    Quote Originally Posted by maingate View Post
    I am against having reviews at all. It will mean the places with the best reviews get used more and will disappear quicker.
    True, and various facebook forums are now sharing far less as they have learnt to their cost that their favourite spots has either gone or packed with 20 other vans every night.
    Likes QFour, peter palance liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Roller Team 695
    It can be frustrating turning up at a POI and finding it is too small! Even looking on Google earth doesn't help unless there is a vehicle parked there to gauge the size by

Sue & Martin

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Bessacar
    We used Rankers in NZ, a camping app with reviews. It worked incredibly well for us as we could discount certain locations that didn't sound suitable, those that were suitable ticked all the boxes and were true to the majority of reviews. As an added bonus, local shops, laundrettes, pubs, cinemas, parks, whatever were added to the review where applicable.
    I was hoping WC would evolve into something similar, sadly it hasn't, wether that is a good or bad thing is debatable.
    At what age do you think itís appropriate to tell 
a road itís adopted?
    Likes jacquigem liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Lunar Premier H622

Abroad

I use the "Dutch site" and have found it excellent.
    An overall score is based on reviews submitted.
    The comments are helpful in that they are from members with different profile indeed both good and bad reviews are helpful.
    There are photos of most stopovers
    Likes QFour, shaunr68 liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Burstner
    Quote Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
    It can be frustrating turning up at a POI and finding it is too small! Even looking on Google earth doesn't help unless there is a vehicle parked there to gauge the size by
    Very few are suitable for our Tag axle van and I rarely use them.

On GE, I gauge the size of a POI by first of all looking at the road, my vans length is just over the width of a normal road, if the POI is bigger than the road width then it may be suitable. I then use Streetview if I think it could work out. I will not use a big enough POI if cars are parked there (dog walkers for instance) as they will not be happy. As a dog owner myself I know that dog walkers have regular hours for it and will be put out if they cannot park up due to a big white box taking all the spaces.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Eura Mobil Practica 690
    Very few are suitable for our Tag axle van and I rarely use them.

On GE, I gauge the size of a POI by first of all looking at the road, my vans length is just over the width of a normal road, if the POI is bigger than the road width then it may be suitable. I then use Streetview if I think it could work out. I will not use a big enough POI if cars are parked there (dog walkers for instance) as they will not be happy. As a dog owner myself I know that dog walkers have regular hours for it and will be put out if they cannot park up due to a big white box taking all the spaces.
    I use the POI's as part of my "planning" if I needed to go to a specific location.
    Our tag is only 7m, and I always try to go to a street view on the computer before travelling to determine if the van would fit in there, even if I can use it with the overhang onto the grass.
    We also plan another, nearby, in case we get there and the location is full of other vehicles or the POI is too noisy, on a slope etc.
    We do not have a dog, but dog owners have just as much right to park there as me, and if the dog owners don't like my "big white shed" that's their problem.
    I do love dogs though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information