CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Spanish LPG ok in UK winter?

Member Number

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Last year my Spanish gas was ok down to -8 in Northern Spain when returning from southern Spain
    Last edited by witzend; 09-11-2018 at 15:29.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Burstner Elegance i745G
    This question has never occured to me however we have filled up in Benidorm twice now and returned to the NE Scotland. I may be tempting fate but we have never had any issues up till now. Just filled up again in Benidorm and will be returning home for Christmas. You just know what’s going to happen.......
    .......forever trying to fly sideways though time!
    At “www.dustan.blog”

r4dent is offline Mostly Harmless
    Name: Pete
    Spouse: Liza

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Bailey Approach
    Like a lot of others I'd just not thought about this issue and my Gaslow is full of Spanish LPG (or GPL to be pedantic!).

My second bottle is a Calor Propane.
    I could act all superior and claim I did this so I wouldn't have a problem with GPL in winter but the real reason I went for 1 refillable and 1 Calor is so I could replace the Calor in UK locations without LPG.

So I will be OK, but more by good luck than good planning.

A great question by the OP.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Autosleeper Trooper LE
    It's not going to freeze and turn to a solid state. Freezing point of butane is about minus 140 degrees Celsius.

It's the boiling point - where it turns from liquid to gas - that causes problems in using it in very cold weather.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Knaus Sun Ti 650MF
    Lots of people here have gas pressure issues with Butano in winter especially if it being drawn off for some time ie oven or cenral heating ..they loose pressure ...hench a high demand for the Propane bottles this time of year on some of the local forums .The bottle storage units tend to be outside and it can get very cold from now until May at night as you snowbirds know. So I can imagine some issues with refillables in winter in the UK.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Sprinter 516CSi 4x4 camper
    Quote Originally Posted by channa View Post
    A good question, and I don't think there is a definitive answer, It does and can get cold in Spain so that indicates it should be ok ,I suggest speaking to the locals and asking for their experiences

When I was testing vans south of france in Jam and feb we carried propane bottles about with us albeit the sites once opened easter time operated on butane, that said I have no accurate idea what the propane /butane mix was

Channa
    Here's another useful site
    LPG Propane/Butane mixture - myLPG.eu
    Thanks channa thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Autosleepers Symbol campervan
    Often topped up in Spain before returning home, I'll bet it's the same stuff all over the country, I doubt if Repsol do a particular blend for a certain area.

I've never had any issues with it, maybe slightly lower pressure in extreme cold, don't let the figures quoted go to your head.

You've got nothing to worry about, unless, maybe, you're planning a motorhome trip to Siberia!
    Britons were wild camping long before campsites, it's a basic human right.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    see picture
    There is absolutely no possibility of freezing propane, butane or any mixture of the two.

The problem comes when you try to get butane to boil at low temperatures. In cool conditions the liquid (cooled a bit below ambient by evaporative cooling) can have its vapour pressure drop too low to get through the regulator and out of the burner.

But to freeze it? You won't find anywhere on the surface of the planet that is cold enough.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Adria Twin
    I have had lots of problems with prolonged winter use of lpg in Iberia. I think what happens is that at low temperatures only the propane is vaporising so over time and with repeated fills the proportion of butane in the cylinders increases and the proportion of propane decreases. The problem is worst in the mornings when you turn on the heating. There is often insufficient pressure to stop the regulator cutting off the supply.

Member Number
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Haworth View Post
    I have had lots of problems with prolonged winter use of lpg in Iberia. I think what happens is that at low temperatures only the propane is vaporising so over time and with repeated fills the proportion of butane in the cylinders increases and the proportion of propane decreases. The problem is worst in the mornings when you turn on the heating. There is often insufficient pressure to stop the regulator cutting off the supply.
    It might be interesting to jerk the van backwards and forewords to shake the gas up to see if it encourages it to perform.
    Likes Roger Haworth, Biggarmac liked this post

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information