CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Spanish LPG ok in UK winter?

Member Number

Is Spanish LPG ok in UK winter?

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    We are currently filling up with Spanish LPG and plan to return to the UK over the Xmas period. We understand that the Repsol mix is 33% propane and 67% butane. The motorhome will be in storage over the Xmas period and will be returning to Spain mid January. It is the first time we have done a pre Xmas trip to Spain so have never previously had Spanish LPG in our gas bottles during a UK winter. Are there any issues we should be considering as we are concerned about gas freezing solid. Should we be?

Member Number
    Motorhome
    CI Euro Riviera 100
    A good question, and I don't think there is a definitive answer, It does and can get cold in Spain so that indicates it should be ok ,I suggest speaking to the locals and asking for their experiences

When I was testing vans south of france in Jam and feb we carried propane bottles about with us albeit the sites once opened easter time operated on butane, that said I have no accurate idea what the propane /butane mix was

Channa

Member Number
    Motorhome
    autotrail imala715
    Assuming you are sailing from northern Spain you have no other option.
    If sailing from France top up before the channel.
    Just a thought.
    NEVER raise your hand to your kids,, it leaves your groin unprotected.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Defleffs Summer

Boiling points for propane/ butane mixtures

Where are you going to top up in Spain?
    Some parts are high up and cold, try to fill in a cold area as you will get more Propane. The mix varies a surprising amount depending on the local need.
    NEVER top up in a warm area and then drive to cold, always the other way round.

Look at

Propane Butane Mixures - Evaporation Pressures

Will give you the definitive answer.
    Likes trevskoda liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    iveco iris lib bus
    Quote Originally Posted by channa View Post
    A good question, and I don't think there is a definitive answer, It does and can get cold in Spain so that indicates it should be ok ,I suggest speaking to the locals and asking for their experiences

When I was testing vans south of france in Jam and feb we carried propane bottles about with us albeit the sites once opened easter time operated on butane, that said I have no accurate idea what the propane /butane mix was

Channa
    Testing vans in JAM what will they think of next.
    Only dirty people wash
    Likes R0B liked this post

Member Number
    Quote Originally Posted by Moped View Post
    We are currently filling up with Spanish LPG and plan to return to the UK over the Xmas period. We understand that the Repsol mix is 33% propane and 67% butane. The motorhome will be in storage over the Xmas period and will be returning to Spain mid January. It is the first time we have done a pre Xmas trip to Spain so have never previously had Spanish LPG in our gas bottles during a UK winter. Are there any issues we should be considering as we are concerned about gas freezing solid. Should we be?
    Butane gas does not freeze solid in the UK, after all it is stored outside, but your correct about it's usability when it is very cold

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Yes, we have one
    I have often considered this and `i try to run my gas down, at least in one bottle as I drive north.
    However, I have never up to now had any problem.
    I do the same with southern France gas, however at the moment I do have one full of southern gas
    Tramping the Dream, Enjoying the Pot of Sunshine at the Rainbow end!

Member Number
    So can it then be said that a high percentage butane mix will not freeze solid and split the bottles and pipes at sub zero temperatures, but it will not evaporate so will not generate any usable gas until it warms up? My concern was that the bottles and pipes would split whilst the van was in winter UK storage for a few weeks until we return with the van to Spain. We have always previously had UK prophane in our system during a UK winter.

I like the idea of running one bottle down just before the UK return and filling that bottle up in the UK during our drive back from Portsmouth to home.
    Last edited by Moped; 09-11-2018 at 08:19.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    CI Euro Riviera 100
    If you can reserve one bottle for UK propane then you have no issues, as for pipes freezing that wont happen the problem is with butane it cant change to a vapour state within your bottle so wont give gas. all its magic occurs in the container it is stored within the liquid gas draws heat through the skin of the bottle and if the temp is too low typically 3 to 4 degrees it struggles to gas

If either reaches freezing point gas is the least of your issues

Channa
    Likes R0B, FringeDweller liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Globecar Campscout Revolution
    Learning quite a bit from this thread.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information