mariesnowgoose is offline Official OTW
    Name: Marie
    Spouse: She's picking on me again

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Laika Ecovip 400i

House vs Camper

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    I wonder if one way of living may be be a bit greener than the other?

I guess once a house is built, if it's a modern one and follows all the 'eco' guidelines such as facilities for recycling grey water, insulation, heating etc., then it ought to be gentler on the environment & waste fewer resources than older 'inefficient' houses that take a lot of heating etc.

How would a motorhome compare side-by-side, or is that just a silly comparison that can't be done and v. tricky to measure? I know it's a complicated subject, but I have a tendency to ponder daft things like this from time to time

For example, if you know you do a certain number of miles every year in your camper, how does burning engine fuel, maybe gas for cooking & heating, use & charging of leisure batteries (solar, mains or by running engine) and all the other 'energy burning' devices we use compare with staying at home in a typical house when it comes to our 'pollution' footprint?

I would love to think that you can be a bit greener by being on the road. Seems an oxymoron, I know... is it just wishful thinking?

Answers on a postcard, as usual
    Life: unfinished threads in a never-ending tapestry
    There but for the grace of God go I
    Likes trixie88 liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Iveco Daily self-build
    Time to get yer togs on, get yer tools and go and do some gardening.
    Likes mariesnowgoose, Edina, trevskoda liked this post
    Thanks mariesnowgoose thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    VW crafter
    Well this is a can of worms, a house 'can' be environmentally neutral but probably never is, the basics, ie bricks, plastics, wiring etc have a cost but following that,with enough solar panels and a reed bed sewage system and a spring you could get pretty close to leaving this Earth in a better state than when you arrived and if mankind is still in charge of this planet (and I for one hope not) in a few centuries time we may all achieve this nirvana.
    Motorhomes, well there's the thousands of polluting parts to start with, many made in China or Eastern Europe using low cost labour but of course that's of no concern to us or the natural habitats destroyed in the process. Despite protestations on this site there is always a cost with follow on things like waste disposal, water supply etc but as long as it's a cost to someone else we can again ignore it. What we cann't ignore is the thousands of miles travelled just for the fun of it which a house doesn't require. So, I would argue in favour of the house being more environmentally friendly as it will last for another generation or two so I think instead of pondering life, the universe and everything you should get on with the housework.

mariesnowgoose is offline Official OTW
    Name: Marie
    Spouse: She's picking on me again

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Laika Ecovip 400i

Housework? Housework?! How dare you use swear words like that!

You're spot on Debs, I'm going slightly stir crazy with all this frozen weather and short, dark days

See you at Moffat?
    Life: unfinished threads in a never-ending tapestry
    There but for the grace of God go I
    Likes channa liked this post

Nabsim is offline Full Member
    Name: Nabs (Neil)
    Spouse: Caz

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Geist Phantom
    I believe I saw something for an upcoming program on tv or a news article about the country’s (?) first environmentally neutral new house somewhere near Macclesfield. I may be wrong, (often am) though. The camper would win hands down against a house Marie, you don’t need to drive it. Then again you could well insulate a shipping container or build a hobbit hole house
    Don't Worry, Be Happy
    Likes mariesnowgoose liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    CI Euro Riviera 100
    I would think a log cabin somewhere would beat a conventional house and van

channa

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Auto-trail Scout
    FWIW, I had this discussion some years ago on a cycling forum! Someone suggested:
    Of course if you want to minimize your carbon footprint, don't take unnecessary journeys whether it be by foot, bicycle, car, train or plane. Work from home and dig your allotment.
    To which, I replied:
    Someone once accused me (as a caravanner) of having a humongous carbon footprint each time I towed my tin tent a couple of hundred miles. They preferred to drive their small, economical car and stay in hotels. However, their argument went out of the window when I did some calculations as it turned out that running an average hotel room produces so much CO2 that a couple who caravan with a diesel Landcruiser have a smaller carbon footprint than a couple who stay in a hotel provided the journey is short enough (IIRC ~ 50 miles per night) without taking account of the hotel-users' mode of transport. So, a fortnight's caravan holiday towing with that Landcruiser probably has a smaller carbon footprint than a fortnight's cycle-touring staying in hotels!

It shouldn't surprise that the carbon footprint of most homes is larger per day than a hotel room. So shutting up home and going on an 'unnecessary' LeJogLe etc. more than probably reduces your carbon footprint. Of course, the key there is the prerequisite that (energy-wise) you shut your home down for the duration of those trips and hence it doesn't work if you 'leave the home fires burning'!
    Since the carbon footprint of a motorhome is probably similar to that of a similarly sized caravan outfit, fulltiming in a motorhome should be 'greener' than a bricks-and-sticks existence!
    Likes mariesnowgoose, RoadTrek Boy liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Motorhome (aka The Nest)
    I’m not really qualified to give an opinion (Having NEVER ‘lived’ in a house my entire life) but from what I have seen it’s the inhabitants that let the ‘Eco’ side down as they either get Lazy or just don’t realise everyday things that Maybe Fulltime Traveling Livaboards are conscious of in everyday life.
    Most Houses have at least Two Vehicles nowadays, They Leave Taps running unesassarily, Leave Hose pipes running when Watering the Flowers, The Lawn, or even washing the carS !, Not fixing that Leaky Tap Washer , Leaving the Heating On, Leaving The Hot Water On, Leaving Lights On, COVERING their house in Fairy lights at Christmas, Not really concerned with what happens to their Waste once it hits the wheely bin, Flushing a gallon at a time or more when having a pee, running the tap when brushing teeth or rinsing a Mug & So On...
    So whatevervthe ‘Green Credencials’ of the House it’s probably the Occupiers that let the side down for convenients in their lives sake !.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    mitsubishi canter mini artic
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesting Zombie View Post
    I’m not really qualified to give an opinion (Having NEVER ‘lived’ in a house my entire life) but from what I have seen it’s the inhabitants that let the ‘Eco’ side down as they either get Lazy or just don’t realise everyday things that Maybe Fulltime Traveling Livaboards are conscious of in everyday life.
    Most Houses have at least Two Vehicles nowadays, They Leave Taps running unesassarily, Leave Hose pipes running when Watering the Flowers, The Lawn, or even washing the carS !, Not fixing that Leaky Tap Washer , Leaving the Heating On, Leaving The Hot Water On, Leaving Lights On, COVERING their house in Fairy lights at Christmas, Not really concerned with what happens to their Waste once it hits the wheely bin, Flushing a gallon at a time or more when having a pee, running the tap when brushing teeth or rinsing a Mug & So On...
    So whatevervthe ‘Green Credencials’ of the House it’s probably the Occupiers that let the side down for convenients in their lives sake !.
    but many houses have sceptic tanks or cess pits .. catch rain water for toilets and washing etc . some drink the rain water.
    some have bore holes to underground water or natural springs .
    solar is getting very common or small wind turbines .
    its nice living in the country.
    shame so many that get out and about in caravans and m,homes do make such a mess .
    think its all about learning to be friendly to the country-side .
    think training was never given to them by parents or schools etc.
    shame so many waste so much doesnt matter if in a house or in a camper.
    been like it for generations , certainly the late 50,s and onwards.
    Likes yorkslass, channa, mariesnowgoose liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Hymer B564 Lionheart 2001
    I have noticed in recent years the absolute obsession with brick extensions and glass extensions on houses ranging from the posh to the not so posh sizes. This I think is the enemy of eco. I see a couple living in a house and they are still making it bigger, do we really all need so much space. More heating, more lighting, more furnishings. I looked at a new house the other year when my daughter moved and all three bedrooms had an on suite plus the family bathroom and the downstairs loo. REALLY!! Do we truly need that many bathrooms in a house, what a waste of space.
    Thanks mariesnowgoose thanked for this post

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information