CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: MOT and VOSA

Member Number
    Motorhome
    swift kontiki 640

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Quote Originally Posted by nicholsong View Post
    For underneath inspection does the garage use a lift or a pit?

If a lift, it maybe that it cannot go up high enough to prevent inspectors stooping excessively - bad for backs etc.

Our MOT station uses a pit because they do coaches which cannot be lifted.

Geoff
    a pit so no problem there as I said good lads, motor engineers not mechanics, they build racing cars and they have done it many times before.
    Likes nicholsong liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    swift kontiki 640
    Quote Originally Posted by nicholsong View Post
    In Poland, and some other countries, one can only get a test done at a government station, which do not do repairs. Solves problem.

I use a UK MOT tester which only does tests, no repairs. In 5 years have only had to take it away(100yds) for one of the rear number-plate bulbs to be replaced, re-tested and away, all within half an hour.

Geoff
    last time a bulb was gone they just sorted it free of charge so it passed.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    swift kontiki 640
    Quote Originally Posted by Wooie1958 View Post
    Father-in-law uses ................ Mot Thornton - Slaters Service Centre

Slaters Service Centre.
    Unit 4.
    Fox Court.
    Holly Road.
    Red Marsh Industrial Estate.
    Thornton Cleveleys
    FY5 4HH
    01253 853994

He used to use the Ambulance Service Station for MOT but they stopped doing them and it was them who put him onto Slaters.

He`s very happy with them and their servicing / repairs costs are also very reasonable.
    they put me a clutch in 4 years ago, I think they dropped the gearbox clutch was a mess after speedo did not work they lost a piece, I had to make one the cruise control never worked after. I had to mend the arm that was bent where it connects to clutch cable there was an article I put on hereabout it, they said if we try to straighten it and it breaks you pay again for new clutch, they stopped answering emails etc, would only diss this garage to anyone. but hey ho we all have opinions

Wooie1958 is offline Cupid Stunt
    Name: Hey You
    Spouse: Yes M`Lady

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Compass Castaway 500 LL
    Ok, messsge understood 👎
    Trust No One

Member Number
    Motorhome
    fiat-ducato ci carioca 694

but

Quote Originally Posted by phillybarbour View Post
    Sounds like they should never have done it previously.
    but have, what a load of cobblers, what are they trying to do,been there done it,try next year, same code, different practis,were is the gun, places it between
    ,, its,, legs, were is the cr-p, best of luck pj

Member Number
    Motorhome
    VW LT 2.8TDi Self-Build Camperbus
    Quote Originally Posted by antiqueman View Post
    last time a bulb was gone they just sorted it free of charge so it passed.
    If they saw the bulb was gone during the test and either passed it as they would replace it after, or replaced it and then passed it, they are doing the test wrong and risk being fined and losing their license.
    Once the test starts NO adjustments can be made.
    I had the number plates gone on my old VW T4 and didn't spot the fault when I did my pre-check. Tester saw straightaway when he started the test and so is an MOT fail. Soon as he finished the test with the fail, he replaced the bulbs, checked they came on and just issued a pass. May be a bit bureaucratic, but sometimes rules are there to be followed.

(Much better than the old days when you could get an MOT on any old shed. I remember needing a car for a short time a few decades ago, so bought an MOT failure for 50 and took it to a renowned local garage and gave them 20 for the MOT test and 'any repairs'. So new ticket on the car 1 hour later)
    Find me on motorhomer.com, a Brexit-Free Zone
    Likes hairydog liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    CI Euro Riviera 100
    Re the awarding of rose tinted MOTS whether that be to the public internally within garages is difficult to do today and the clue is within the original post a visit by VOSA

VOSA will turn up at MOT testing stations unannoubced and audit the garage, Are the people testing the testers and not not qualified mechanics, brake rollers, exhaust analysers correctly calibrated with the necessary paperwork.

They often present vehicles for test, fails when it should pass or vice versa unnecessary advisories can result and does in the tester losing his licence and /or te testing station.

Since computerisation a lot of analysis is done to identify trends to enable a consistent service, the problem occurs when a defect is in the opinion of the tester rather than a straight black and white fail,

I seem to remember there are building regulations in respect of inspection pits on new builds we had a pit at the old garage and weren't allowed one at the new one and had to use post ramps.

Channa

Member Number
    Motorhome
    VW LT 2.8TDi Self-Build Camperbus
    Quote Originally Posted by channa View Post
    Re the awarding of rose tinted MOTS whether that be to the public internally within garages is difficult to do today and the clue is within the original post a visit by VOSA

VOSA will turn up at MOT testing stations unannoubced and audit the garage, Are the people testing the testers and not not qualified mechanics, brake rollers, exhaust analysers correctly calibrated with the necessary paperwork.

They often present vehicles for test, fails when it should pass or vice versa unnecessary advisories can result and does in the tester losing his licence and /or te testing station.

Since computerisation a lot of analysis is done to identify trends to enable a consistent service, the problem occurs when a defect is in the opinion of the tester rather than a straight black and white fail,

I seem to remember there are building regulations in respect of inspection pits on new builds we had a pit at the old garage and weren't allowed one at the new one and had to use post ramps.

Channa
    Going back to my comment about the numberplate lights, I did ask the tester why he didn't just swap them to avoid a retest (same end result, less work and time for all concerned).
    Apart from not being technically permissible when the testing has started, he said that once the test has started it is timed by the computer system and stopping to do any kind of repairs (even the most simple like a bulb swap or a wiper blade change) would extend the test time enough that it could be flagged as unusual. And if there are too many of those at the same garage that would no doubt prompt a surprise visit.
    Find me on motorhomer.com, a Brexit-Free Zone
    Thanks Edina thanked for this post

Member Number
    Quote Originally Posted by channa View Post

Channa
    There has been a lot of worry about petrol fumes, escape during fires, and people falling down the hole.

Much nicer using a hoist, if someone else is paying.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Talbot Bedouin
    I have been fortunate that i have been able to use my local mechanic to do my servicing and put the van through it's mot.
    It seems he simply takes it to his local garage that does the mot's and he then does whatever work is needed.
    No retest fees either

He has been using this garage since he & Adam were boys.
    An old fashioned mechanic which is what i need for my old van & it all seems to work fine !

He works from home, has a 4 post lift in his yard and my van just fits so no problems there.

And the best thing is - he is extremely reasonable !! perfection indeed.

Now that i have moved !00 miles away from him - I will still be using him & just have to co-ordinate my mot with a trip down that way !
    Likes channa, hanger18 liked this post

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information