Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: MOT Update Good News and Bad News

Member Number
    Motorhome
    VW T5 Auto-Sleepers Trooper

MOT Update Good News and Bad News

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Passed MOT this morning all OK

On way home from MOT station about 4 miles away I have 3 roundabouts at the second I turn left on turning I heard a rattle from the back nearside this kept on as if something metal was rattling on a bare floor in the rear of a van. As I pass my garage friend I thought I would call and seek his advice, he bounced it about a bit opened tailgate and sat on floor and bounced some more he could not hear anything, as he had nothing on the ramp I drove on to let him look underneath inspection revealed a broken nearside coil spring the top coil had broken off and had fallen inside the spring. This was obviously causing the metallic noise.

As he did not have a ramp job this morning he said he would do it straight away Euro Parts is only a mile away they only had 1 spring and would deliver within 15 minutes but another one for 11.30 so work in progress van back for 12.30 to 1.00pm. Good job it went on the way home.

Alf

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Auto sleeper nuevo
    Very common problem theses days , darn pot holes .
    Likes Alf liked this post

Wooie1958 is offline Cupid Stunt
    Name: Hey You
    Spouse: Yes M`Lady

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Compass Castaway 500 LL
    You also need to be particularly careful when there have been below zero / freezing temperatures if you are out first thing.

Be a little bit more gentle until they`ve had time to work and warm up a bit then you`ll be ok.
    Must Get Round To Setting Up A Paypal Donate Button
    Likes trevskoda, winks, big tom liked this post
    Thanks Alf, peter palance thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    vw t5
    Quote Originally Posted by Alf View Post
    Passed MOT this morning all OK

On way home from MOT station about 4 miles away I have 3 roundabouts at the second I turn left on turning I heard a rattle from the back nearside this kept on as if something metal was rattling on a bare floor in the rear of a van. As I pass my garage friend I thought I would call and seek his advice, he bounced it about a bit opened tailgate and sat on floor and bounced some more he could not hear anything, as he had nothing on the ramp I drove on to let him look underneath inspection revealed a broken nearside coil spring the top coil had broken off and had fallen inside the spring. This was obviously causing the metallic noise.

As he did not have a ramp job this morning he said he would do it straight away Euro Parts is only a mile away they only had 1 spring and would deliver within 15 minutes but another one for 11.30 so work in progress van back for 12.30 to 1.00pm. Good job it went on the way home.

Alf
    Mine passed ok but retro fitting cruise talking longer than estimated.
    Fitted two rear springs last year for test.
    Good result Alf. 👍
    Likes 2cv liked this post
    Thanks Alf thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    VW LT 2.8TDi Self-Build Camperbus
    Great news, Alf

VW Transporter Springs seem to be a consumable nowadays and luckily cheap and easy to fit.
    Camperbus Blog and Website - www.wildebus.com
    Electrical Bits - stores.ebay.co.uk/Camper-Van-Kit

Member Number
    Motorhome
    see picture
    Springs very often break when the vehicle is parked. Potholes and speed bumps have vastly improved ncreased the number that fail.
    Likes time4t liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    VW T5 Auto-Sleepers Trooper
    Took a lifetime guarantee out at 5 per spring

Quote Originally Posted by hairydog View Post
    Springs very often break when the vehicle is parked. Potholes and speed bumps have vastly improved ncreased the number that fail.
    Likes caledonia liked this post

Member Number
    Berlingos/partners were so well known for breaking front Coils (usually resulting in the free end of the broken spring puncturing the inner tyre sidewall)
    That manufactures did a recall to fit a plastic collar (not to stop the spring breaking) to prevent the spring puncturing the tyre).
    Likes trevskoda, Alf, time4t liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    iveco iris lib bus
    Never broke a coil spring in my life and thats on our poor roads,alf you must be driving like a F1 driver.
    Only dirty people wash

chas142 is offline Full Member
    Name: Charlie
    Spouse: Angie

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Fiat based Hymer 524
    I see you drive a VW, well you got it back on the road quickly, so that's good and with a new MOT. Now perhaps I should have fitted new front springs on mine when I changed the front and rear shocks, fitted air suspension on the back as the standard springs were sagging quite a bit. Perhaps they are better springs on the Ducato, I hope.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information