CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Height barriers

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Fiat Scudo WAV/ Iveco 50c14 self build

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Common answer seems to be "because of travellers" in response to barriers appearing everywhere. At risk of being contraversial, maybe instead of running scared, the councils/govt/police should pull their fingers out of their arses & do something to stop this problem. I am not anti traveller, or anti Irish, just anti criminal which is what a lot of these guys seem to be. They bring a bad name to themselves & ultimately anyone who chooses a travelling way of life is tarred with the same brush.
    Likes Grouchy liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    N+B Arto 69GL(2003)
    One tip to avoid height barriers at supermarkets is to look to see if there is a connection from the 'Deliveries' entrance to the CP, because the Artics have to get in. Some deliveries areas are cut off, but it is worth a try and has worked for us.

Otherwise I park on a quiet corner of the filling station area, e.g the 'parking for shoppers' at the filling station shop - you are shopping after all, albeit at the main shop.

Geoff
    Likes st3v3, Scrag, n brown, trevskoda liked this post
    Thanks jacquigem, peter palance thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Herald Templar
    Nearly every car park in Portsmouth has a height barrier and I rant at any Councillor who gets close enough to me about it, but last week they left one open on the seafront and got a visit from the travelling community. Walking past at 6.30am one morning I saw a traffic warden standing guard on the entrance and they were there for the four days they stayed. So perhaps there is some reason in it.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Pilote Galaxy 40
    As far as blaming hieght barriers on travellers, do you think a bar and padlock will stop them?
    It wasn't much of a challenge at the park and rides around Oxford a couple of months ago.
    You can't be lost if you don't know where you're going.
    Likes trevskoda liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Roadtrek 190V
    Quote Originally Posted by antiquesam View Post
    Nearly every car park in Portsmouth has a height barrier and I rant at any Councillor who gets close enough to me about it, but last week they left one open on the seafront and got a visit from the travelling community. Walking past at 6.30am one morning I saw a traffic warden standing guard on the entrance and they were there for the four days they stayed. So perhaps there is some reason in it.
    Are you sure the council left it open, or was it opened by someone else?.... Padlocked gates, height barriers, boulders Etc seem to get moved in the night and in the morning there's an encampment of travellers... Funny coincidence that.....
    Colin
    Warning: Definitely contains nuts.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Bentley Ochre
    Two things need to change, and I think it unlikely that either will.
    Firstly the legal means of moving on trespassers on private land be they travellers or anyone else needs to be amended to make that removal easier and speedier, with compensation due to the landowners for their losses and inconvenience.
    Secondly when motorhomes are parked overnight in a location their occupants need to stop annoying others by setting up camp outside their vehicles or leaving traces of their stay or creating disturbance such as running generators.
    Until these things change height barriers will continue to increase.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    iveco iris lib bus
    Quote Originally Posted by 2cv View Post
    Two things need to change, and I think it unlikely that either will.
    Firstly the legal means of moving on trespassers on private land be they travellers or anyone else needs to be amended to make that removal easier and speedier, with compensation due to the landowners for their losses and inconvenience.
    Secondly when motorhomes are parked overnight in a location their occupants need to stop annoying others by setting up camp outside their vehicles or leaving traces of their stay or creating disturbance such as running generators.
    Until these things change height barriers will continue to increase.
    Who is going to compensate & from which pocket,travelers braking locks is clased as breaking & entering, but if you leave a gate open or dont have one then the problem falls to you requiring a court order,very costly to do and enforce.
    Chap i knew had them move into a old house he was about to pull down to build new one for son,travelers called police when he tried to remove them,police arrived and told him there is nout he could do.
    He ask sone to go fetch his s/gun and boxes of shells which son did,police went bonkers telling him if he used it against then he would end up in jail.
    Well son arrived and dad loaded up his pump action and pumped shells into the roof until almost all slates were of ,when he walked of saying the rain will put them out so go and arrest GOD,they were gone next morning to which he put dozer to building,win win.
    Only dirty people wash

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Herald Templar
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadTrek Boy View Post
    Are you sure the council left it open, or was it opened by someone else?.... Padlocked gates, height barriers, boulders Etc seem to get moved in the night and in the morning there's an encampment of travellers... Funny coincidence that.....
    No the people at the swimming pool left it open to allow workmen onto the site.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Carthago C-Line 4.9
    These barriers are on the increase in numbers, but with a walk I find I can usually find an alternative.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    fiat-ducato ci carioca 694

i

Quote Originally Posted by Moonraker 2 View Post
    You have just pressed my button!!!!!
    Since beginning campering 5 years ago I am convinced that hight barriers are on the increase, perhaps in relation to the up take of motor homing?
    However it is getting ridiculous and last year I could not use Salisbury park and ride because of the hight barrier!!
    I drove off in a huff from Kings Lynn for the same reason, all the large car parks had barriers.
    The standard answer is "because of the travellers" but I wonder..........
    i went in to one, barrier laid on floor, cut in 3 bits, i saw 6 vans in corner,turn and left,not for me,ok.pj

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information