CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Here we go again - fridge

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Hymer B564 Lionheart 2001

Here we go again - fridge

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    I just canít believe what a load of - well! You know what, that my Dometic fridge freezer is. I have an 8505 AES which is about 5 years old now and have just about spent the same amount on repairs in that time as it originally cost. I couple of weeks ago the alarm started sounding and I have not been able to find any problem but have pulled out the little contact plug which has stop the noise and also the internal light but I can live with no light.
    Well now the new issue, when is there ever a time with no issue with Dometic, the catch on the door is not engaging and the door is only being kept closed by the magnetic seal. There is a button on the top of the door that is meant to be depressed to disengage the catch but it is not working. The catch is disengage permanently which means when I go round a corner I loose the contents of the fridge. I know there is anotherís catch that allows the door to be in this mode when parked if you choose but I have checked and that is not the cause. It is the catch on the door itself that if not dropping down to hook over and stay in place.
    Any ideas? I canít be the only one with this issue

Member Number
    Motorhome
    VW LT 2.8TDi Self-Build Camperbus
    Are you looking to repair the existing catch or find another way to secure the door when travelling?
    Camperbus Blog and Website - www.wildebus.com
    Electrical Bits - stores.ebay.co.uk/Camper-Van-Kit
    Thanks silverweed thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    see picture
    Quote Originally Posted by silverweed View Post
    I just can’t believe what a load of - well! You know what, that my Dometic fridge freezer is. I have an 8505 AES which is about 5 years old now and have just about spent the same amount on repairs in that time as it originally cost. I couple of weeks ago the alarm started sounding and I have not been able to find any problem but have pulled out the little contact plug which has stop the noise and also the internal light but I can live with no light.
    Well now the new issue, when is there ever a time with no issue with Dometic, the catch on the door is not engaging and the door is only being kept closed by the magnetic seal. There is a button on the top of the door that is meant to be depressed to disengage the catch but it is not working. The catch is disengage permanently which means when I go round a corner I loose the contents of the fridge. I know there is another’s catch that allows the door to be in this mode when parked if you choose but I have checked and that is not the cause. It is the catch on the door itself that if not dropping down to hook over and stay in place.
    Any ideas? I can’t be the only one with this issue
    Have you taken it to the same place each time for all these costly repairs? Something seems amiss for it to be so troublesome.

My AES fridge if the same make is now 20 years old, and the only repairs it has has are a new thermocouple or two (£10 DIY job each time) and a replacement part that was subject to a service bulletin in late 1999 - and was finally replaced in 2015: a design fault made the gas ignition occasionally fail to work.
    I had to pay for the part, even though Dometic admit it was a faulty design. Hambelton's quoted £250 to fit the part. I had it fitted elsewhere and I think I paid less than £20 for fitting.

As far as the door catch is concerned, mine is not the same.
    For a fix rather than a proper repair, I'd use sticky-back velcro on the door and the frame, and a velcro strip between them.
    Last edited by hairydog; 08-02-2019 at 17:01.
    Likes Silver sprinter, TJBi liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    I was hoping to repair the catch. I donít think Velcro will secure the door as anything between the seal will leave a gap. I have taken the van to a number of different places that all have been Dometic registered

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Lunar Premier H622

Try some Magnetic cupboard catches

I was hoping to repair the catch. I donít think Velcro will secure the door as anything between the seal will leave a gap. I have taken the van to a number of different places that all have been Dometic registered
    That is if you have anywhere suitable for both the magnet bit and the metal bit.
    They are quite neat and you could either glue or screw maybe use 3 or 4 they are quite strong..

Member Number
    Motorhome
    sprinter banger
    the catch itself ,if like mine,can be adjusted
    too blessed to be stressed

Member Number
    Motorhome
    VW LT 2.8TDi Self-Build Camperbus
    I wouldn't have though Velcro would have been a good soluition either TBH. And would actually be annoying with having to do that extra tug to free it.

If you do need to add an extra catch, then you could try something like the one I use?

Fridge by David, on Flickr
    The strap that goes from the top middle of the fridge to the door I added to my fridge, as it is a standard domestic fridge so has no lock on it whatsoever. I fitted this back in October 2017 when I first put the fridge in the van and it has worked admirably since then.
    Can be left off when you are parked up and clipped back into position for travelling - Under a fiver from Amazon here - Lindam Xtra Guard Latch with Dual Function, 1 Pack: Amazon.co.uk: Baby
    Camperbus Blog and Website - www.wildebus.com
    Electrical Bits - stores.ebay.co.uk/Camper-Van-Kit
    Likes Silver sprinter liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    see picture
    I was hoping to repair the catch. I don’t think Velcro will secure the door as anything between the seal will leave a gap. I have taken the van to a number of different places that all have been Dometic registered
    NO! Velcro between the seals would a totally stupid idea. Not only would it leak cold, but it would also not hold the door shut. Velcro only holds against sideways pulls.

I mean a strip of velcro on the outside of the front of the door, going round to the outside of the side of the fridge. One end could be fixed permanently, but sticky-back velcro is easiest.
    Likes Alf, TJBi liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Well I just went for it today. Some probing with a knife and I found a decal patch covering the screws on the cassette that holds the catch. Eventually got the cassette off and prised it open with a knife point. The problem is down to a small spring inside that pushes the catch down to hook closed which has snapped in two. Now to find a new tiny spring
    Likes jacquigem liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Autotrail Dakota 2007
    Presumably it is possible to buy a replacement catch assembly ...
    Remember - POI additions and updates can be sent by email to POI@wildcamping.co.uk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information