CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS


Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 14 of 14

Thread: Reclassification advice please

  1. #11

    Member Number
    60568
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    2,462
    Motorhome
    VW LT 2.8TDi Self-Build Camperbus


    CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Quote Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
    I was going to reclassify my 7.5t horsebox to a motorhome but I can't really see any advantage to it,I do find all the rules and regs very confusing and difficult to work through. The only real difference I can see is the mot test,if it was a motorhome I could do the same test as a car,but as an hgv I have to do the equivalent test which is dearer but road tax is cheaper so it all ends up about the same for on road costs.
    you can combine the Road Tax rate of an HGV with the MOT cost of a car if you did reclassify.
    Camperbus Blog and Website - www.wildebus.com
    Electrical Bits - stores.ebay.co.uk/Camper-Van-Kit
    Likes Asterix liked this post

  2. #12

    Member Number
    49835
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    2,116
    Motorhome
    MAN 7.5T
    Quote Originally Posted by wildebus View Post
    you can combine the Road Tax rate of an HGV with the MOT cost of a car if you did reclassify.
    If I got it classed as a motorhome wouldn't it automatically be taxed at the same rate as a car? Can I pick and choose? I find the whole system very confusing,why a heavy vehicle pays less tax than a car just seems bonkers when you consider the wear and tear on roads and the much higher mileage of a working hgv...not that I'm complaining
    668,the neighbour of the beast.

  3. #13

    Member Number
    60568
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    2,462
    Motorhome
    VW LT 2.8TDi Self-Build Camperbus
    Quote Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
    If I got it classed as a motorhome wouldn't it automatically be taxed at the same rate as a car? Can I pick and choose? I find the whole system very confusing,why a heavy vehicle pays less tax than a car just seems bonkers when you consider the wear and tear on roads and the much higher mileage of a working hgv...not that I'm complaining
    you are right - it makes no sense at all, but that is how it is. My van is officially a Motor Caravan (last MOT was 40) and as it is 4.5t, it is a PHGV so pay Road tax of 160 (or is it 165?)
    Soon as you hit >3.5t, you are in the HGV Tax Rate regardless of the vehicle classification (I understand quite a few Motorhomers get their vehicles upplated to just above the 3.5t GVW purely for this reason.


    PS. you do potentially get into the minefield of "is it a Motor Caravan or is it a Living Van" argument, but that is a whole different topic (but may influence your decision)
    Camperbus Blog and Website - www.wildebus.com
    Electrical Bits - stores.ebay.co.uk/Camper-Van-Kit

  4. #14

    Member Number
    49835
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    2,116
    Motorhome
    MAN 7.5T
    Quote Originally Posted by wildebus View Post
    you are right - it makes no sense at all, but that is how it is. My van is officially a Motor Caravan (last MOT was 40) and as it is 4.5t, it is a PHGV so pay Road tax of 160 (or is it 165?)
    Soon as you hit >3.5t, you are in the HGV Tax Rate regardless of the vehicle classification (I understand quite a few Motorhomers get their vehicles upplated to just above the 3.5t GVW purely for this reason.


    PS. you do potentially get into the minefield of "is it a Motor Caravan or is it a Living Van" argument, but that is a whole different topic (but may influence your decision)
    It's partly because of my complete confusion over all the rules that I just decided to leave it as is,until I get pulled for some unknown infraction of the rules. I did notice that the vosa guys doing my MOT had absolutely no interest in the fact that it was not longer a horsebox,even though they tested it as one. I must admit I was a bit nervous in case I hadn't interpreted everything correctly,and also never knew until then that horseboxes seem to be tested differently to goods vehicle,eg no added weight required for test.
    668,the neighbour of the beast.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •