CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Pets

Member Number
    Motorhome
    see picture

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Quote Originally Posted by shaunr68 View Post
    He hits the dash I expect Trev, same with my dog Eric and the same with me since I rarely wear a seatbelt unless I see plod around. He's been to 33 countries and has always travelled untethered, either on the missus' lap or more recently on our lad's adventure, on his cushion on the passenger seat. I drive the MH like an old woman and if we end up in a crash it will with any luck be a low velocity one!
    The reason seatbelts are compulsory is that they are necessary. The design of vehicles makes them necessary.
    Crumple zones and safety cages can't help you if you are not strapped to the frame. The vehicle is brought to a safe stop, but your body carries on and hits the dash at 40mph. Do you have any idea what the impact would be like? It's the equivalent of falling seventy feet.
    Laminated windscreens work well, as long as you don't smash through them with your face, and then (even worse) bounce back again. Not pretty, not clever.
    Wear a seatbelt. Always.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Autocruise Vista
    Thanks Hairydog, fair enough, it's a calculated risk and a miniscule one at that. In line with your driving history above I've driven around 30,000 miles across the continent and I'd estimate a million miles over 33 years UK driving and have never had so much as a shunt "sufficient to even bruise a hamster". I should clarify that I do wear a belt on the motorway or in heavy traffic but not while tootling down country lanes. Life is full of risks and I consider this one to be small enough as to not be overly concerned about it.
    https://woollyramblers.wordpress.com/
    https://woollywanderers.wordpress.com/
    Likes Andy75 liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    iveco iris lib bus
    He hits the dash I expect Trev, same with my dog Eric and the same with me since I rarely wear a seatbelt unless I see plod around. He's been to 33 countries and has always travelled untethered, either on the missus' lap or more recently on our lad's adventure, on his cushion on the passenger seat. I drive the MH like an old woman and if we end up in a crash it will with any luck be a low velocity one!
    I seen two cars hit each other at 40mph each,the driver went through windshield and then through the other car shield hitting the passenger in the face,not a prity sight,i do hope you reconsider wearing a belt,remember no insurance co will cover you if not,apart from the fact you are bonkers.
    Only dirty people wash
    Likes Alf, RoadTrek Boy liked this post
    Thanks shaunr68 thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    see picture
    Thanks Hairydog, fair enough, it's a calculated risk and a miniscule one at that. In line with your driving history above I've driven around 30,000 miles across the continent and I'd estimate a million miles over 33 years UK driving and have never had so much as a shunt "sufficient to even bruise a hamster". I should clarify that I do wear a belt on the motorway or in heavy traffic but not while tootling down country lanes. Life is full of risks and I consider this one to be small enough as to not be overly concerned about it.
    Sorry, but I think you are make my a huge mistake.

Yes, the chance of a serious crash is small, but the damage would be horrendous. Seatbelts are not much of a trouble - or should not be. After all, you are sitting in the seat. Why not do the belt up?
    Likes Sharon the Cat, trevskoda, Alf liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    VW LT 2.8TDi Self-Build Camperbus
    Quote Originally Posted by hairydog View Post
    Sorry, but I think you are make my a huge mistake.

Yes, the chance of a serious crash is small, but the damage would be horrendous. Seatbelts are not much of a trouble - or should not be. After all, you are sitting in the seat. Why not do the belt up?
    I don't really understand the idea of thinking "I'll put it on on the Motorway, but won't bother on country roads"

the "Clunk Clink, Every Trip" films were pretty good to get seat belts used by the dinosaurs of the road (as opposed to the Knights of the road )
    Just because the Presenter turned out to be a total scumbag doesn't lessen the point made in the film

Personally, when it comes to driving, I just don't feel comfortable without a seatbelt on. Nothing to do with feeling unsafe, but it is such an automatic reflex after many decades of driving of just "get in car. put on seatbelt" that driving without is just awkward.
    Last edited by wildebus; 12-02-2019 at 13:27.
    Camperbus Blog and Website - www.wildebus.com
    Electrical Bits - stores.ebay.co.uk/Camper-Van-Kit
    Likes trevskoda, Alf, jeanette, Biggarmac liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Autocruise Vista
    Well fairy nuff fellas, I should have expected a lecture

I do hope that none of you smoke, drink too much, have an unhealthy diet, ride a bike motorised or otherwise, or participate in dangerous sports
    Likes trevskoda, Andy75 liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    I guess it is a matter of calculated risks and rewards.

Not sure how not putting on a seatbelt improves your enjoyment of driving?
    Likes Alf liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    iveco iris lib bus
    Well fairy nuff fellas, I should have expected a lecture

I do hope that none of you smoke, drink too much, have an unhealthy diet, ride a bike motorised or otherwise, or participate in dangerous sports
    I was going to say none of my motorbikes have seat belts or air bags,but then again most folk i know have always been brought of by half blind numties in cars.
    Only dirty people wash
    Likes Alf, Andy75 liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Quote Originally Posted by trevskoda View Post
    I was going to say none of my motorbikes have seat belts or air bags,but then again most folk i know have always been brought of by half blind numties in cars.
    Last time I was brought off my motorbike was due to the numbtie that was holding the handlebars
    Likes Alf, trevskoda liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Autocruise Vista
    Quote Originally Posted by wildebus View Post
    I guess it is a matter of calculated risks and rewards.

Not sure how not putting on a seatbelt improves your enjoyment of driving?
    It's laziness to be honest. I'll take the rap on the knuckles like a man and I'm touched that you lot all clearly care so much so I'll endeavour to follow Mr Saville's advice more often in future
    Likes trevskoda, wildebus liked this post

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread Information