CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cost of second hand vans

Member Number
    Motorhome
    1989 Fiat

Cost of second hand vans

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    As some of you are aware we are looking to get a larger and slightly newer van ,but I cannot believe the prices some people are asking just seen a 1994 Transit in o.k condition for 18k and 1992 Fiat in scruffy condition for16 k. I doubt if they were much more when new .I know it is possible to buy cheaper in the U.k. but living full time in Portugal I would have to much hassle importing .Back to the drawing board.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    iveco iris lib bus
    Just like a normal van age means rot,folk never see this as long as the inside looks dandy.
    Only dirty people wash

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Vanless (till March)
    Like everything material in life itís supply v demand.
    Likes trevskoda liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    swift
    Just because they carry a hefty price tag, doesn't mean they will realise that. Mine is nineteen years old, and the average price on e bay is around £7,500 to 8ooo, I have seen them advertised through the trade at 13, 14 thousand. I don't believe anyone would pay so much.

Have you looked into importing one? It might not be too expensive or complicated. I have read of people importing to the UK and it seems pretty straightforward.
    Last edited by yorkslass; 12-02-2019 at 08:53.
    Likes trevskoda, mariesnowgoose liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Rapido 775F
    Quote Originally Posted by trevskoda View Post
    Just like a normal van age means rot,folk never see this as long as the inside looks dandy.
    Not necessarily so Trev, My van is 15 years old and is as good as new underneath. Mainly down to the low mileage and the fact that its previous use was mostly on the continent.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Autocruise Vista
    It seems to me that second hand motorhome prices seem to be appreciating in price if anything. In 2014 I bought an 11 year old (03) Autotrail Cheyenne for £17K, put 20,000 miles on the clock and sold it a year later for £16K. Looking on eBay (and I know that is only an indicator of what people are asking, not sold prices) similar 03 reg motorhomes are STILL being listed for £15-20K, despite now being 5 years older. Meanwhile, try to pick up an 11 year old AT Cheyenne now and you're looking at £25-30K. As above, it must be due to supply and demand, perhaps fewer people are in a position to buy a new MH so there are fewer being sold on second hand which inflates their value
    https://woollyramblers.wordpress.com/
    https://woollywanderers.wordpress.com/

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Chausson 510 welcome
    Quote Originally Posted by Topmast View Post
    As some of you are aware we are looking to get a larger and slightly newer van ,but I cannot believe the prices some people are asking just seen a 1994 Transit in o.k condition for 18k and 1992 Fiat in scruffy condition for16 k. I doubt if they were much more when new .I know it is possible to buy cheaper in the U.k. but living full time in Portugal I would have to much hassle importing .Back to the drawing board.
    Hi topmast.

When my wife and I decided to buy our first motorhome in 2016 initially we were looking at motorhomes that were 3-5 years in age.
    But when we saw the prices we decided instead to buy a new van.
    Eventually we settled on a Chausson 510 which had been discontinued by Chausson and replaced by the 530.
    Due to this Chausson threw in a lot of extras like a larger engine, better interior etc, and the dealer threw in £4,000 of extras also.

If we had bought second hand my wife would have insisted on a new toilet, and mattress etc, which would further added to the cost.

Vans don't depreciate like cars, its reckoned cars half in price in three years, whereas its 10-12 years for vans.

I hope you eventually find what you are looking for, and have many happy years traveling in your new purchase.
    If we all agreed there would be no discussion, and it would be a dull boring world.
    Likes Alf, mariesnowgoose liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    sprinter banger
    it's because of their outdated importation laws that campers and caravans are such stupid prices in Portugal. which is why it may be cheaper to import if you get a van at a good price in UK. if you go that route , find out what paperwork you need beforehand as it might be tricky to find. at one point while importing a Landy , we ended up stuffing 3 pages from the Haynes manual through their letterbox in faro and they accepted it instead of an engineer's report
    too blessed to be stressed
    Likes mariesnowgoose, Nabsim, REC liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Galaxy Mercedes auto
    Quote Originally Posted by Topmast View Post
    Have a look in Spain i have seen a few nice vans for sale here at a good price

Member Number
    Motorhome
    see picture
    The balance between supply as demand affects prices. There is a finite supply of secondhand motorhomes, so increased demand means higher prices.

Someone bumped the corner of mine a few years back. Their insurance assessor came to look (I had if fixed at my choice of repairer). He has some interesting comments.

I said that I guessed it was worth £x (about 10% more than I'd paid for it five years earlier) and his comment was "And the rest: these are hard to get".
    Last edited by hairydog; 13-02-2019 at 13:45.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information