CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Club?

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Elddis 120

Which Club?

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Hi all. When im away I like wild camping. The missus prefers camp sites. So when we go away together or with the cats Ive always stayed on the Camping and Caravan Club sites who I first joined when I got the motorhome. The sites are excellent I must say. The other club sites ive seen The Caravan and Motorhome Club also look good. I just wondered what everyone on here is a member of and is there any difference between the two?
    Weve just returned from The Camping and Caravan site at Barnard castle and its a little stunner. 30 mins walk across countryside and woods into town.
    mickwatsonphotography.com

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Auto-Trail Tracker EKS (Erik)
    We belong to both as you get more choice of sites although the actual club sites I find expensive. I think the Caravan and Motorhome sites are more superior but no difference between the CL’s or CS’s. I also like the Camping and Caravanning's temporary holiday sites during the summer. I never book up on these just phone up on the day and have never been refused a pitch.
    Likes Northumborman liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Herald Templar
    I am in both. The C&MC have better C/L's and more club sites in cities and towns. The C&CC have cheaper rates for over 60's in club sites and a lot of temporary sites, which are quite useful.
    This topic comes up very regularly so if you look through past topics you will find lots of opinions.

Wooie1958 is offline Cupid Stunt
    Name: Hey You
    Spouse: Yes M`Lady

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Compass Castaway 500 LL
    Same here, we are in both. The CAMC is a bit more prim and proper than the C&CC which used to be quite laid back but that`s changing as well these days.
    Trust No One
    Likes toystory, ironman liked this post

Member Number
    For us the CAMC has better and more locations in the areas of the UK we visit regularly. However we are also members of the CACC as their sites are better value, there is the seniors concession, and at the end of the day itís just another £39 a year to have a wider selection of sites. We do a mixture of wild camping and sites, and when using sites only using club sites where possible or CLs with hardstandings.

So favour the club with the better site locations for you.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Carthago Chic C-Line 4.9
    We tend to join CAMC as there CL sites are good and thereís lots of them.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Renault Master (Self Built)
    I am in the Caravan & Motorhome Club.

Every year when the new Sites Directory Handbook comes out I go through all the listings in the areas of the country I want to visit, only marking those sites charging £10 or less per night, tight git that I am.
    But like so many of us, I don't need a shower block, a campsite bar, EHU's, indeed anything other than a flat(ish) bit of ground where I can park up overnight and of course, only sites that allow dogs.

Having been in both major clubs I honestly do find the C&MC CL sites are head and shoulders better than the CS sites of the other club as they are limited to only 5 units.

I now have some absolutely amazing sites in various parts of the country with fantastic views, fantastic walking and most of the time we are on them all by ourselves............ what more could I possibly want?

Member Number
    Motorhome
    High top van conversion
    Both clubs are freindly, don't understand anyone saying certain ones are snobbish.Weve been on both club sites with home converted vans without problems.

We rarely use sites but still like to belong to one for magazine and reduced ferry crossings

Advantages of camping club are temporary sites which operate in summer, good value.Also there are discounts for seniors.

We have been in both but prefer Caravan and Motorhome club sites and magazines.Both have good selection of 5 van sites, both provide discounts on ferry crossing.

My recommendation is to join both for a couple of years then drop one off.
    Likes jagmanx, Biggarmac liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Pilote Motorhome on a Renault Master
    Another person in both. C&CC for 37 years, CMC for 21 years. I have stewarded weekend meets, Temporary Holiday sites and on the big National Feast of Lanterns for Camping and Caravanning Club. I now steward an overseas rally for them. If you want a site there is more choice if you are in both. They do have a different feel to the sites, but this harks back to where they came from. The C&CC started in 1901 from people who had their camping equipment on their backs or on their bikes. The CMC stated in 1910 with people who could afford to have something towed to site. Even although both sites are mainly Caravans and Motorhomes now there is still a whiff of their origins. The CMC do not encourage wildcampers to use their sites to discharge and fill up, unless you stay the night. The C&CC have a scheme where you can use some site to discharge, fill up and have a shower during a period of three hours. Cost for that is £7.50 - a lot less than an overnight stay.
    Likes Minisorella liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Compass Avantgarde 140 💫
    Sadly, there's a lot of inverted snobbery about clubs and campsites here but, personally, I've never found any campsite to be particularly formal or rule-bound. It's more down to the people there at the time as to whether it's friendly or not... you get back what you give out don't you think? I grant you there was just one Warden one time, who was a bit too 'little man with a big hat' but it didn't spoil the stay... most people laughed and took no notice because all campers are rebels at heart Obviously, wildcamping is tops but I kept up my membership of both big clubs after being widowed because for me it's more about proximity to the person/place I'm visiting and there may not be a POI in the area where I'd feel safe on my own.

I'd agree that the C&MC has a far better network of small CL sites... there are far more of them than the C&CC and in my opinion, they're often better situated and quite quirky. Many C&CC sites are open to non-members anyway. Leaving aside cost of fees, discounts, etc, if I had to pick just one club for locations and convenience, it would be the C&MC.
    Likes jann, Debroos liked this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information