CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Puppy or dog in a motorhome

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Motorhome

Puppy or dog in a motorhome

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    We are getting a labrador puppy and want to take her in our campervan as early on as possible. How do people manage with a puppy or dog when you're driving along, and where do you sleep it during the day (especially if it's raining!) and at night? We have a crate, but it will take up a lot of room in our 5.4 metre van. Any advice welcome!

Member Number
    Motorhome
    VW T4 Holdsworth
    Would love a dog to share our camper but not in a position to to do so at the moment, however i have had experience of transporting a springer spaniel around in a minibus the dog sat up front in one of the passenger seats she had a special harness that attached to the seat belt restricting movement and keeping her secure, as a rule she is extremely well behaved and loves riding shotgun.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Bailey Autograph 625
    We took Sparky away with us this weekend & had to solve the dilemma of only 2 seats with belts.
    We put a cargo strap across between the 2 seatbelt stalks. On that was threaded a heavy duty swivel hook which fastens to his travelling harness.
    He was very happy but we are going to get a smaller bed.

20190310_112606.jpg

At night he sleeps under the bed where there is plenty of room for him but he does sneak up onto our bed in the night!

With a puppy I would start them off with just sitting & having a treat in the van. Then trips out for a walk. Most dogs love it but it helps to start off properly.

Don't forget, lots of towels for muddy paws!
    =^..^=
    Likes mjvw, jeanette liked this post
    Thanks jeanette thanked for this post

Member Number
    Part of our choice of dog (small) was because we have a motorhome! Our set up is similar to sharon the cat's, all I would add is that motorhoming holidays and short breaks are great for dogs - all that fresh air, countryside and exploring is great enrichment for a dog.
    Likes Sharon the Cat liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Compass Avantgarde 140 💫
    You might find lots more useful thoughts and ideas in this thread... Pets
    Likes jeanette liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    VW crafter
    Get a Doberman and he'll take his turn at the wheel.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Likes Sharon the Cat liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    VW T4 Holdsworth

No need for a steering wheel lock then

Quote Originally Posted by guerdeval View Post
    Get a Doberman and he'll take his turn at the wheel.
    This picture made me think of a friend in the late 80's who used to have his Rottweiler sitting in his uncovered sidecar they went everywhere together he used to leave the dog guarding the motorcycle and it never got touch. I wonder why?
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    IVECO 75 E17 SELF BUILD
    Quote Originally Posted by mjvw View Post
    This picture made me think of a friend in the late 80's who used to have his Rottweiler sitting in his uncovered sidecar they went everywhere together he used to leave the dog guarding the motorcycle and it never got touch. I wonder why?
    Excellent dogs and brilliant natural guards, on my third one now,
    Likes Asterix liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Bailey Autograph 625
    Quote Originally Posted by FULL TIMER View Post
    Excellent dogs and brilliant natural guards, on my third one now,
    Our little Sparky is 10kg of enthusiastic terrier guard dog. A delivery man yesterday said "I wish my dog barked like that". I told him that's why we have a tilt/turn window in the top of the door. One of our delivery drivers is terrified of Sparky, he seems to be able to growl & bark at the same time.
    =^..^=
    Likes jeanette liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    see picture
    Quote Originally Posted by carmha View Post
    We are getting a labrador puppy and want to take her in our campervan as early on as possible. How do people manage with a puppy or dog when you're driving along, and where do you sleep it during the day (especially if it's raining!) and at night? We have a crate, but it will take up a lot of room in our 5.4 metre van. Any advice welcome!
    The trouble with labradors is that their hair injects itself into soft furnishings, so I would suggest making sure the dog gets used to sleeping on its own bed. Our dog was a bit bigger then a lab, but was happy sleeping under the table.

He had his bed (a secondhand cot mattress inside a washable cover) there, but for travelling, he liked to stand between the front seats, nose to the dashboard air vents and looking out over the dash.

He never needed a harness or cage. He knew he was not to get in the way of the driver, and he never did.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information