CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: owning a sited static caravan

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Burstner

owning a sited static caravan

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Off topic i know and very uncool but has anyone had any experience of owning a sited caravan?

I'm currently in negotiations to buy a privately owned caravan on a big holiday park and have a few concerns.

It seems to me that your at the mercy of the holiday park even though you are the owner of the van!

Its not cheap either, costing 20k for the van plus plus 3k pitch fee per year.

Is there any issues when selling the van on in few years down the line?

Any advice/warnings welcome cheers!

Member Number
    Motorhome
    MAN 7.5T
    I know most parks have rules related to the age of the static and when it gets to X years old it must be removed,they do seem to be worth pennies by then so depreciation should also be accounted for. I've not owned one but did look at the possibility about ten years ago,I decided it didn't make economic sense,but maybe different depending on individual parks.
    Sent From My Cheap Mobile Using Tapafatfinger.
    Likes trevskoda liked this post

Member Number
    Quote Originally Posted by offgrid View Post
    Off topic i know and very uncool but has anyone had any experience of owning a sited caravan?

I'm currently in negotiations to buy a privately owned caravan on a big holiday park and have a few concerns.

It seems to me that your at the mercy of the holiday park even though you are the owner of the van!

Yes I have owned two on two different parks and static caravans can be enjoyable, PM me your questions and I will tell you my answers.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    CI Euro Riviera 100
    Quote Originally Posted by offgrid View Post

Until relatively recently I worked in the industry supplying and fitting retro double glazing, central heating ,air conditioning re cladding etc my work took me to several sites all over the country and dealt with park dene, Park resorts and smaller independents like Hill Bros

A couple of things, normally any "private sale" the site will want typically 15 % commission, there is often an age limit or some site don't but often rotate older vans to other parts of the park (at the customers expense ) other common downfalls are having to buy gas through the site, your insurance and in the event you want to improve eg DG decking etc an approved site contractor must be used not your own invariably prces are over inflated and the site wants a cut ..I would never give a site a bung so they often blocked remedial work.

Personally I have seen so much heartache I wouldn't touch a static with a barge pole. Money pits might as well hand the site a blank cheque

Channa

Member Number
    Motorhome
    swift
    To be blunt, i think once you sign on the dotted line you are at there mercy. I have never owned a static but know plenty who have.

Regarding re selling, many only allow you to sell to a family member. The alternative is to sell back to the site..., at their price.

If they sell the site your rights can be threatened.

Some sites only allow vans below a certain age, could be as little as ten years.

You need to read the T&C and then have a think.

What's to stop you buying a large tourer and putting it on a seasonal pitch, best of both worlds.
    Last edited by yorkslass; 11-03-2019 at 13:36.
    Thanks channa thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Carthago Chic C-Line 4.9
    Itís normally site fees and items that can only be bought from the site owner (as per their rules ie gas, decking alterations etc) that kill it financially. However if you want to be on that park then go for it. Iíve not had one but know two people who have and both enjoyed their time there but said it was very expensive all in.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Lunar Premier H622

It really depends how much you will use it

Occaisonal weekends and weeks
    Regular weekends an several weeks
    If the latter probably worth it IMO
    Check with the site as to how long the caravan will be OK
    Check all the site fees and the cost of Gas and Leccy
    Car parking & Visitors

Personally I would prefer a chalet but everything else is similar

Martingrant is offline Full Member
    Name: Martin
    Spouse: The Boss

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Renault autosleeper

Our experience

Hi we had a static on a private site.
    When we decided we had had enough,
    We were at the mercy of the site owner.
    He had it valued----scrap value £600 & a removal to the gate fee of £500.
    I would never buy another one.
    Don't get me wrong it's nice to roll up turn on the gas bottle and relax.

Hope this helps
    Martin

Member Number
    Motorhome
    CI Euro Riviera 100
    Quote Originally Posted by yorkslass View Post
    To be blunt, i think once you sign on the dotted line you are at there mercy. I have never owned a static but know plenty who have.

Regarding re selling, many only allow you to sell to a family member. The alternative is to sell back to the site..., at their price.

If they sell the site your rights can be threatened.

Some sites only allow vans below a certain age, could be as little as ten years.

You need to read the T&C and then have a think.

What's to stop you buying a large tourer and putting it on a seasonal pitch, best of both worlds.
    I wouldn't disagree with any of that, any potential sale ideally should be shown to a trained solicitor so people know the pitfalls

Channa
    Likes mariesnowgoose, yorkslass liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Concorde charisma
    Some sites are only 8 months of the year although site fees are charged all year round typically these close in October and open up for easter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information