Motorhome
    vw t5

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacup lad View Post
    Hi Caledonia

Thanks for your reply
    Where is the boat yard ?
    John
    Just google loch Awe Boats and youíll get directions there.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    CI Euro Riviera 100
    I haven't fished for years and prefer sea fishing tbh, But nothing is as majestic as old esox leading you a dance

light tackle ( metal trace ) Jacks are great sport. I ve had game keepers to request a clonk on the head no way !! Apex predator for a reason.

My biggest 23 lbs whispered in her ear tell your grandma I want her

Beautiful fish

Channa
    Thanks caledonia thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    vw t5
    Quote Originally Posted by channa View Post
    I haven't fished for years and prefer sea fishing tbh, But nothing is as majestic as old esox leading you a dance

light tackle ( metal trace ) Jacks are great sport. I ve had game keepers to request a clonk on the head no way !! Apex predator for a reason.

My biggest 23 lbs whispered in her ear tell your grandma I want her

Beautiful fish

Channa
    My best is 17lb and is that was some fight with it tail walking and shaking itís head. As you say apex predator and should always be safely returned to fight another day. Loch Awe has some huge specimens and also holds the British record Ferox Trout.
    Likes angelaa liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Rapido 775F
    Eating Pike and Carp Philistines!!!, killing Pike is bad enough, killing Carp will get you summarily executed around these parts.
    Likes caledonia liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    1997 Lunar Road Star 570 2001 BMW 1150RS
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveH55 View Post
    Eating Pike and Carp Philistines!!!, killing Pike is bad enough, killing Carp will get you summarily executed around these parts.
    The problem with pike in a fishing club pond is that they are the top predator and most clubs, certainly in this neck of the woods, want to be bart 'em. Certainly wouldn't take carp from ponds or canals, but rivers yes. That said though, apart from local trout, it must be more than 30 years since the oppy did any serious course fishing, although only a couple of years ago since a nice 8lb er pike impaled itself on my trout 'ook. Channa will have loads of recipes for game and course fish, I just steam it with a handful if garden herbs and half a bottle of tesco's dry martini type stuff, a true kings banquet---------stuff the tree huggers
    Be the best that you can, without causing pain to others

Member Number
    Motorhome
    vw t5
    Quote Originally Posted by oppy View Post
    The problem with pike in a fishing club pond is that they are the top predator and most clubs, certainly in this neck of the woods, want to be bart 'em. Certainly wouldn't take carp from ponds or canals, but rivers yes. That said though, apart from local trout, it must be more than 30 years since the oppy did any serious course fishing, although only a couple of years ago since a nice 8lb er pike impaled itself on my trout 'ook. Channa will have loads of recipes for game and course fish, I just steam it with a handful if garden herbs and half a bottle of tesco's dry martini type stuff, a true kings banquet---------stuff the tree huggers
    It’s a delicate balance and if you kill pike it will allow smaller fish to take over a loch or river starving the bigger fish and the eco system falls to bits. Nothing to do with tree hugging. Man p1sses in the rivers and dumps battery acid in the streams then complains he can’t swim. What a lyric!
    Last edited by caledonia; 14-03-2019 at 22:28.
    Likes korky liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    1997 Lunar Road Star 570 2001 BMW 1150RS
    Quote Originally Posted by caledonia View Post
    Itís a delicate balance and if you kill pike it will allow smaller fish to take over a loch or river starving the bigger fish and the eco system falls to bits. Nothing to do with tree hugging. Man p1sses in the rivers and dumps battery acid in the streams then complains he canít swim. What a lyric!
    I am in total agreement with you, but then again I can't swim anyway, but I take your point. That said though, we can take the argument to a much higher level when it comes to the moral argument, so perhaps now is a good point to say enough is enough and although different, accept that although feathers may be ruffled on occasions, all opinions have a degree of substance, so maybe both are right, just different
    Be the best that you can, without causing pain to others

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Globecar Globescout PVC
    What Caledonia says is not an opinion it is scientific fact and good fishery management.
    I used to work as a Fisheries Officer in the NRA and EA and the level of understanding amongst many anglers on many issues regarding conservation and best fishery practice was poor.
    Likes channa, Obanboy666 liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    CI Euro Riviera 100
    Quote Originally Posted by oppy View Post
    I have never cooked pike but Escoffier suggests steeping in water to purge the muddy flavour and poaching in milk served in quenelles, Smaller fish should be selected(Jacks) for a more tender meat

Carp as I understand were imported by monks as a food fish kept in moats around monasteries So little new in eating any of them

A few years ago, a fishery owner near Scunthorpes was prosecuted for banning Poles fishing. Freshwater fish are still popular there for the table and the fella was taking no chances in protecting his stock

I often see Eastern Europeans on the Calder and Hebble and by their set up it would suggest fishing for food

Channa

Member Number
    Motorhome
    CI Euro Riviera 100
    Quote Originally Posted by caledonia View Post
    My best is 17lb and is that was some fight with it tail walking and shaking itís head. As you say apex predator and should always be safely returned to fight another day. Loch Awe has some huge specimens and also holds the British record Ferox Trout.
    I do believe anything above 8 lb ish is female certainly one at 17 lb so can producle a lot of finglings pikelets just doesn't sound right

I only ever lure for them down to the fact I am restless sitting about on a bank my chosen tool a jerky critter rod and multiplier reel with braid..my favoured lures are spring dawgs I bought of Neville Fickling in Gainsborough well known angler in Pike circles.

Re records two old blokes I bumped in to on my travels both independently told me the same thing River Trent some very large fish at Dunford Bridge

My favourite and most productive spot was warping drain which runs into the Trent I cant fish there nowadays as the Police club as leased the water magical spot, Pike Kingfishers darting about and the only place I have seen grass snakes swimming that is a sight to behold, going like the clappers stopping for a rest ,,perching its head on a water lily before disappearing into the undergrowth

Channa
    Likes caledonia, korky liked this post

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information