CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Thread: Electric Motorhome

Member Number
    Motorhome
    MAN 7.5T

Electric Motorhome

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Looks like early days but with a bit more infrastructure looks doable...

Taking the electric road | Otago Daily Times Online News
    Sent From My Cheap Mobile Using Tapafatfinger.
    Thanks time4t thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Laika EcoVip 712
    Quote Originally Posted by Asterix View Post

They will have to make the parking bays bigger and more accessible and then there is the question of Sleeping in the MH while you wait for it to be fully charged overnight.
    Likes time4t liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    N+B Arto 69GL(2003)
    I think it will be a long time before the infrastructure accomodates wildcamping in the Pyrenees/Alps with a MH with a max weight capable of carrying long-term paraphanalia. I bet that one did not even have an awning and obviously did not have a gas system and bottles.

Then if they do catch on and fast charging is expected for 20 units what will be the cost of the electric grid to support it?

Geoff

Member Number
    Motorhome
    High roof doblo
    Quote Originally Posted by nicholsong View Post
    I think it will be a long time before the infrastructure accomodates wildcamping in the Pyrenees/Alps with a MH with a max weight capable of carrying long-term paraphanalia. I bet that one did not even have an awning and obviously did not have a gas system and bottles.

Then if they do catch on and fast charging is expected for 20 units what will be the cost of the electric grid to support it?

Geoff
    In the interim an electric camper with large lpg tank to cook heat and run a generator in emergency to charge the battery enough to get to a charge point

Member Number
    Motorhome
    MAN 7.5T
    As most motorhoming is done in the summer time,then solar seems the way forward,it probably wouldn't fill the batteries required to run a vehicle but should increase range or reduce charging times. Like all new tech,I think the only way to go is get them on the road and see what works and what doesn't. If night time charging is made cheaper than daytime then I guess that would help smooth out any supply/infrastructure issues.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    97 sprinter ex police riot van.
    It's very interesting concept but it's not a new one, there was an article posted here about a vw camper that's electric & charged by solar.
    It can do about 50 miles a day at 50 mph so can be done!

Oh, & the motorhome that's covered in solar panels, top & sides that is a new development.

All very well till the sun don't shine plus is the electric used to charge his van, from a green source or a fossil fuelled power station? Has he taken into account that the pollution created when the battery is made, is the same as the amount of pollution produced by a diesel vehicle over 7 years & the batteries will need replacing in about 7 years!

Phill
    Learning to dance, where one step forward & two steps back is progress!
    Likes trevskoda liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    VW LT 2.8TDi Self-Build Camperbus
    Quote Originally Posted by Asterix View Post

sounds like fun ..."I spent most of the next day of my adventure recharging the van at Gore, Balclutha and Milton"
    Find me on motorhomer.com, a Brexit-Free Zone

Member Number
    Motorhome
    iveco iris lib bus
    There are new battery being tested,salt silacate which will be cheap to make,hold 5 times the power and charge in about 10 mins,no power stations required as wind/wave and solar will pick up the shortfall,remember only 20 years and the piston engine is gone from production and those with old engines will be taxed / insured of the road just like the gov is doing with the diesels they told us to buy.
    Only dirty people wash

Member Number
    Motorhome
    MAN 7.5T
    Quote Originally Posted by wildebus View Post
    sounds like fun ..."I spent most of the next day of my adventure recharging the van at Gore, Balclutha and Milton"
    I was born in Milton,it's a fine town if you like that rundown,neglected,dumpy look. In fact the only worthwhile thing about the place is me being born there!
    Likes trevskoda liked this post

Thread Information