Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: French speeding ticket GRrrrr

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Yes, we have one

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Quote Originally Posted by grath View Post
    I have a couple of extra comments.

Bearing in mind, I believe a private company are responsible for speed cameras and collecting the fines

I wonder if the fines are just coming to the UK (do it now while they can)

On the other hand, bear in mind that France is a Transit Country for Dutch, Belgiums, Germans etc
    There must be thousands of speeding offences and a nice money maker!

Also I have read on a another forum about Scam fines!

Just thoughts!

Quote Originally Posted by channa View Post
    To my knowledge non of us are au fait with French law and more pertinent legitimate defences

If it is true the system is privatised I would imagine the set up is water tight , plenty of folk in the UK can prosecute you other than the Police, agents working on behalf of the local authorities, Environment agency etc

My own thoughts if you don't pay up, next time you visit could see you arrested detained fined and in worse circumstances vehicles being seized.

Even if you change vans, Are the reg nos and passport numbers logged at the time of travel through the ports ?

I get the part re scams though some of the domestic ones are clever why people fall for it I suppose.

It does seem strange the UK don't operate a reciprocal arrangement for miscreants speeding here

My thoughts

Channa

I mentioned passports and ports earlier.
    From my trucking experience, they can and do this
    Last edited by grath; 07-04-2019 at 09:35.
    Tramping the Dream, Enjoying the Pot of Sunshine at the Rainbow end!

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Globecar 636SB
    Quote Originally Posted by shaunr68 View Post
    It's easy to be a smug know-it-all but we're talking about doing 50 mph on a main trunk road. It's a blatant money making exercise at the expense of the motorist, not a safety measure, and is one of the main reasons why France goes up in flames every weekend.
    I'm as fallible as the next person, but to get a fine in France your speedo (for most vehicles) would need to be reading 10kph over in a 80kph. Most of the time I have the satnav on and it bleeps as soon as I exceed the limit, I know these are also not infallible, but if you can't judge your speed without constant reference to the speedo then it's a good aid.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Frankia I650ED
    Quote Originally Posted by colinmd View Post
    I'm as fallible as the next person, but to get a fine in France your speedo (for most vehicles) would need to be reading 10kph over in a 80kph. Most of the time I have the satnav on and it bleeps as soon as I exceed the limit, I know these are also not infallible, but if you can't judge your speed without constant reference to the speedo then it's a good aid.
    Hi Colin, not me I was doing 89 kph in an 80 zone. That's 55 mph on a trunk road, I'm hardly a speed king in a 2.0 Peugeot Boxer. It's a blatant scam and another backdoor tax on the motorist and I applaud the Froggies for burning and trashing speed cameras across the country every week. Perhaps if the speed limits were more realistic, there weren't so many cameras and they were situated in problem areas rather than being a blatant cash cow, the motorist might have more respect for them and the authorities.
    https://woollyramblers.wordpress.com/
    https://woollywanderers.wordpress.com/
    Likes carol, trevskoda liked this post

Nabsim is offline Full Member
    Name: Nabs (Neil)
    Spouse: Caz

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Geist Phantom
    Hi Colin, not me I was doing 89 kph in an 80 zone. That's 55 mph on a trunk road, I'm hardly a speed king in a 2.0 Peugeot Boxer. It's a blatant scam and another backdoor tax on the motorist and I applaud the Froggies for burning and trashing speed cameras across the country every week. Perhaps if the speed limits were more realistic, there weren't so many cameras and they were situated in problem areas rather than being a blatant cash cow, the motorist might have more respect for them and the authorities.
    A lot of main roads in Derbyshire are 50mph limit Shaun, they have been for years. Some have speed cameras and others have average speed cameras as well. It may be where you are they are more sensible but it isnt only France I can assure you
    Don't Worry, Be Happy

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Trigano Tribute
    Apologies if this has already been mentioned. The French authorities have announced that they are replacing older cameras with the newer, taller, slimmer, less visible and more tamper proof ones, as well as adding more. The Gilet jaune protest has cost them 660 million euros, so they are adopting tougher measures. Enjoy!

Member Number
    Motorhome
    burstner delfin performance T700

The good and the bad.

To anyone complaining about French speeding fines,I suggest they tell us how much they have saved by using free Aires or do they only see the bad.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Discovery 1 G610 WAC plus Motorhome
    I have said before if you do not want a fine do not speed, there are plenty of signs telling you the speed limit if you ignore them and go over, you only have yourself to blame. You do not set the speed limit for any roads.
    http://www.130sasha.co.uk/www.130sasha.co.uk
    http://teddybearspicnic.webs.com

Member Number
    Motorhome
    N+B Arto 69GL(2003)
    Quote Originally Posted by The milkman View Post
    To anyone complaining about French speeding fines,I suggest they tell us how much they have saved by using free Aires or do they only see the bad.
    French Aires, free or cheap, are so close together that there is no need to go fast. Also if you go through the villages quickly you miss the Boulangerie/Patisserie - shame.
    Likes channa liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    None
    My neighbours have just gone to their holiday cottage in France and I'm looking after their house. Went in the other day to discover 4 speeding fines (they asked me to open them), 3 were from October when they were last there and the 4th was on the day they arrived two weeks ago. If I hadn't made them aware, by the time they return, they would have passed the date for final payment before being prosecuted.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    see picture
    It's easy to be a smug know-it-all but we're talking about doing 50 mph on a main trunk road. It's a blatant money making exercise at the expense of the motorist, not a safety measure, and is one of the main reasons why France goes up in flames every weekend.
    France ha appalling road accident death rates (mostly due to their road and verge design, I suspect) and something had to be done.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread Information