CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1st Time Out - Broken Lights and one dead pheasant

Member Number

1st Time Out - Broken Lights and one dead pheasant

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    So a sad tale of the first voyage out in the new old Van, Talbot Talisman 1987
    On the way to our destination which was made as a good suggestion by member Herman
    HERE
    The Van was picked up by a nice private seller Sue and I had taken her for a test drive before with no issues.
    En route the Van starts bunny-hopping in various gears like over rich fuel mixture or potentially not enough fuel getting to engine.
    I noticed fuel gauge just under a quarter so I stopped at the next Garage, was a Texaco so good grade Petrol. I filled her up and we started off again without any problems.
    Then approx 45 mins later the hiccuping, bunny-hopping starts again. THANKFULLY my son who is a new driver got RAC cover with my partner when she renewed hers and so we were covered.

Stopped on A590, busy dual carriageway but in designated parking and Steve, older RAC man who had been with them for 23 years listened to the engine and said it sounded mint.
    I explained what had been happening to Steve and he very quickly took the fuel line apart, checked the fuel pump and then took top of the Carb, he found something blocked in the Carb like a bent copper pipe which he blew through and he just then basically took it all apart and put it all back together and the Van ran great afterwards. After a couple of test runs with Steve following on behind us.

We made it to our destination, which was surprisingly busy for a Monday afternoon I thought, and began checking the van.
    Gas worked, but water did not though the water pump came on
    Fridge worked and heating sort of worked.
    Cooker definitely worked so we had hot dinner and a cup of tea parked up at Bardsea.

It later transpired that the heating didn't work well because the Gas bottle was almost dead and the water didn't work because the water tank drain end had been lost so no sooner would you put water in the tank than it would come out from underneath.
    All that was tested on our one night out and in the morning we headed back to Hebden Bridge, mainly via A roads. Sadly at some point a Pheasant, female I think, decided to cross in front of the Van and I had no time to stop. End of Pheasant and, as I later discovered, end of offside indicators and surround, plus loss of the front Talbot badge.

Quite an adventure for a first time out, I am sure you will agree but also quite stressful and likely to have an expensive resolution.
    I have put a shout out on various places for Parts, Talbotoc Site, Facebook Talbot Owners Group and also Motorhomebuilder.
    I have asked at local Renault / Citroen scrap dealers as well and he says he may be able to get one.
    Images below and if anyone can help source parts that would be great! I need a cheap solution, as new old van is currently off the road after her first trip. Sad times.

Thanks for reading
    Robert
    About Me ➢ http://robertawilliams.net ☯ Photographs ➣ https://500px.com/robertandmel
    Likes Herman, Clunegapyears, Boots liked this post

Member Number
    I think the headlights are in very short supply but if it comes to it you should be able to fit any indicator that fits the hole.
    Likes RAW liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    iveco iris lib bus
    At least you had something to eat for tea
    Only dirty people wash
    Likes pamjon, witzend, toystory liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    MAN 7.5T
    Try Coastal Motorhomes in Ringwood,they are very good for obsolete parts.

Motorhome & Commercial Vehicle Parts and Spares Retailer
    Sent From My Cheap Mobile Using Tapafatfinger.
    Thanks RAW thanked for this post

Member Number
    Quote Originally Posted by trevskoda View Post
    At least you had something to eat for tea
    I am a vegetarian !
    About Me ➢ http://robertawilliams.net ☯ Photographs ➣ https://500px.com/robertandmel
    Likes trevskoda liked this post

Member Number
    Quote Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
    Try Coastal Motorhomes in Ringwood,they are very good for obsolete parts.

Motorhome & Commercial Vehicle Parts and Spares Retailer
    Sadly does not look like they have any
    Lights Search

Thanks though, found a couple of possibilities through facebook so waiting on people getting back to me

Next question to ask is would it be worth an upgrade to the lighting system all round, maybe do the Front First ??
    What else might fit with better performing light qualities ?

Member Number
    Motorhome
    1993 570ffb classic tabbert
    If put universal car indicators on ebay there is a pair that could be made to fit,6.5 "x2" they are listed to fit a bull bar.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    MAN 7.5T
    Quote Originally Posted by RAW View Post
    Sadly does not look like they have any
    Lights Search

Thanks though, found a couple of possibilities through facebook so waiting on people getting back to me

Next question to ask is would it be worth an upgrade to the lighting system all round, maybe do the Front First ??
    What else might fit with better performing light qualities ?
    It might be worth emailing them as they might not show everything they stock,or may be able to order some in.
    Sent From My Cheap Mobile Using Tapafatfinger.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    VW autosleeper
    So a sad tale of the first voyage out in the new old Van, Talbot Talisman 1987
    On the way to our destination which was made as a good suggestion by member Herman
    HERE
    The Van was picked up by a nice private seller Sue and I had taken her for a test drive before with no issues.
    En route the Van starts bunny-hopping in various gears like over rich fuel mixture or potentially not enough fuel getting to engine.
    I noticed fuel gauge just under a quarter so I stopped at the next Garage, was a Texaco so good grade Petrol. I filled her up and we started off again without any problems.
    Then approx 45 mins later the hiccuping, bunny-hopping starts again. THANKFULLY my son who is a new driver got RAC cover with my partner when she renewed hers and so we were covered.

Stopped on A590, busy dual carriageway but in designated parking and Steve, older RAC man who had been with them for 23 years listened to the engine and said it sounded mint.
    I explained what had been happening to Steve and he very quickly took the fuel line apart, checked the fuel pump and then took top of the Carb, he found something blocked in the Carb like a bent copper pipe which he blew through and he just then basically took it all apart and put it all back together and the Van ran great afterwards. After a couple of test runs with Steve following on behind us.

We made it to our destination, which was surprisingly busy for a Monday afternoon I thought, and began checking the van.
    Gas worked, but water did not though the water pump came on
    Fridge worked and heating sort of worked.
    Cooker definitely worked so we had hot dinner and a cup of tea parked up at Bardsea.

It later transpired that the heating didn't work well because the Gas bottle was almost dead and the water didn't work because the water tank drain end had been lost so no sooner would you put water in the tank than it would come out from underneath.
    All that was tested on our one night out and in the morning we headed back to Hebden Bridge, mainly via A roads. Sadly at some point a Pheasant, female I think, decided to cross in front of the Van and I had no time to stop. End of Pheasant and, as I later discovered, end of offside indicators and surround, plus loss of the front Talbot badge.

Quite an adventure for a first time out, I am sure you will agree but also quite stressful and likely to have an expensive resolution.
    I have put a shout out on various places for Parts, Talbotoc Site, Facebook Talbot Owners Group and also Motorhomebuilder.
    I have asked at local Renault / Citroen scrap dealers as well and he says he may be able to get one.
    Images below and if anyone can help source parts that would be great! I need a cheap solution, as new old van is currently off the road after her first trip. Sad times.

Thanks for reading
    Robert
    Phew Robert, was their enough gas for a brew in the morning! Good luck with it, sorry about the pheasant!

Member Number
    Motorhome
    HYMER ML I
    I am a vegetarian !
    What a shame, what a waste.
    Likes trevskoda, Cass liked this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information