Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: off lead dog walking in Isle of Skye

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Fiat tribute 680 campervan

off lead dog walking in Isle of Skye

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Dear all
    we are going to Isle of Skye for a week and are tsking one of our dogs with us. I ve googled as much as I can and am getting a bit concerned that there may be nowhere to let dog off where there aren't sheep. I had envisaged miles of shore (like at home in Cumbria) with no livestock where an energic young springer can gallop about .....
    Anyone with experience of Skye that can let me know if maybe we need to reconsider? thanks in anticipation

Member Number
    Motorhome
    vw t5
    Sheep donít roam free over the whole island! Iím sure if your sensible youíll find places to let your dog have a run.
    Likes shortcircuit liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    thanks, any recommendations for most suitable locations on the island would be appreciated and we will plan round that. We intend to wild camp as much as possible. A week of a springer exercised only on a lead is an absolute no no !!!!!! He is used to two hours a day off lead running and running plus access to large garden. We used to have to plan holidays around 3 kids but now it's the dog ha ha!!
    Our others stay at home but our young springer has been with us before and loves it. But we take more towels for him than us !!

Member Number
    Motorhome
    autosleeper fairford
    Sheep everywhere Iím afraid. We have found the area around glen brittle good for off lead. The beach there is great for them. Not sure where you are planning to go on Skye to direct you to a spot near you.
    The area at the fairy pools en route to glen brittle is a bit of a nightmare for passing during holiday seasons.

Personally Iíve found beaches the best areas as there is much excitement for the dogs to keep their attention.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Dethleffs 4 Travel
    We found loads of space to let the dog roam. Yes, there are sheep, but there are a zillion more places without sheep than with.

Ours roamed along the shoreline very happily.
    Thanks BusyLizzy thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Niessmann Bischcoff Arto 690E
    Go to Isle of Mull, far better than Isle of Skye, even your dog will thank you.
    The value of a man should be seen in what he gives and not in what he is able to receive.
    Likes caledonia liked this post
    Thanks caledonia, BusyLizzy thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Its driving me crazy, I am reading so much about this. We dont have the luxury of unlimited funds re ferries to visit all islands and so first hand experience and accounts are brilliant to us. We want seclusion and dog walking, I can walk but cant do extremer due to spine and head injury

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Check out CalMac timetable for costs, etc. Cheapest route and no requirement for booking is, Lochaline to Fishnish, and back if you wish.

Skye is overrated, only good point is the free bridge, although I do miss the pre bridge days.
    The value of a man should be seen in what he gives and not in what he is able to receive.
    Likes Silver sprinter liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    I forgot to mention, there is the Corron ferry south of Fort William, which is cheap, or you can avoid Corron by driving up and through Fort Bill then cross over onto Morven, all depends on which direction you are coming from.

Lots of options.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    vw t5
    I would definitely agree with Runnach Skye has some nice Mountains and thatís it but it doesnít matter where you go in Scotland you canít let your dog run wild. Itís not just sheep we have a lot of ground nesting birds your dog will disturb especially at this time of year.
    Likes runnach, colinmd, jann, Debroos, Biggarmac, deckboy liked this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information