CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Vans getting abused on ferries

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Carthago C-Line 4.9

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    I am exactly the same, itís why I always use the tunnel.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    VW LT 2.8TDi Self-Build Camperbus
    Quote Originally Posted by REC View Post
    Tunnel for us every time. Apart from the fact that the sea makes me throw up, the tunnel has minimal waiting, often get on early if had a fast trip down, and no problem if later than booked. It is pretty similar prices whenever I have compared. Plus so easy with the dog, quick and seems to be well organised.
    Hmmm.... Tunnel or North Sea Ferry? Hmmmm..... Lives in Kent.... Tricky one

If the Tunnel is pretty handy, then it is the best option. Not so clear cut when in Scotland though.
    I quite like the DFDS Ferry (opps - "Mini Cruise" if you don't mind) but never taken a vehicle on it.
    Used the Ferry with a vehicle from Dover before the Tunnel was done and that was ok, as were the Ferries from Poole, Holyhead and Pembroke, so all options are ok to me.
    I did do a Hoverlink once to France (just a there and back booze cruise) and that was insanely rough - I'm not sure now if that one carried cars as well but I bet if it did they would have have to be super-securely strapped down!
    Find me on motorhomer.com, a Brexit-Free Zone

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Hymer 694 - Renault master pvc
    Quote Originally Posted by alcam View Post
    I've used the tunnel once and agree it is less hassle than the ferry but it's always more expensive
    We always use the tunnel as we are only 30mins away. But if you go regularly you can buy frequent travelers, min 10trips but at £480 for the 10, in the motorhome works out about half price for us
    When you don't care what anyone thinks of you, you have reached an awesome level of freedom

r4dent is offline Mostly Harmless
    Name: Pete
    Spouse: Liza

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Bailey Approach
    If using the tunnel check out Tesco vouchers. You only pay 1/3 rd the price.

Always used to be a Tunnel user but a couple of years ago there were riots in Northern France; Illegal immigrants hiding in vans; Petrol Strikes and some sort of Football tournament so we switched to Portsmouth / Spain ferry. We are now committed to that method of getting to the Sun.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Swift Sundance 630G (X250 Maxi)
    I think there are dents in the alloy sides of mine from tight ferry parking, and just as you say people squeezing through the gap.
    It is sort off one reason why I've never bought new, that first dent/scratch ........... So being used,at least someone ruined it before me and I'm paying an appropriate price for the van And I just might have caused one or two myself.
    Swift 630G
    in the boot
    Likes ricc, Looser cruiser liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Autosleeper Trooper LE
    I tried the tunnel this year, didn't like it at all and wished I hadn't booked a return. The return trip was marginally better but I think I'll stick with using the ferries in future, especially as they are a lot cheaper.
    Likes jann liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    High top van conversion
    Never had problems on ferries, we've used plenty!! Find the tunnel too dear and boring. Prefer Dunkerque to Calais, easier to get in and out of.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    N+B Arto 69GL(2003)
    Quote Originally Posted by jann View Post
    Never had problems on ferries, we've used plenty!! Find the tunnel too dear and boring. Prefer Dunkerque to Calais, easier to get in and out of.

Another vote for Dunkerque, also never seen immigrants near there. Only a ferry every 2 hours, so no queues to slow traffic for them to try to jump in/on. Good big Aire at Bergues 25 mins. away for before/after crossing and nice little walled town (5 min walk)

Geoff

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Chausson 510 welcome
    Quote Originally Posted by Looser cruiser View Post
    Just got home yesterday from a wee break in Holland we used the overnight crossing from Newcastle to Amsterdam not the cheapest but convenient saves a couple of days and a few Bob on diesel so probably balances out and you reach youíre destination fresh. Last couple of times going to France we used the tunnel what a difference hassle free. I donít know how many bam pots I had to stop squeezing between my van and the van opposite with big F off backpacks with all sorts of crap hanging of them in the end I ended up standing between the vans pretending to be in one of the lockers to divert these morons down a different route stayed there and was the last one out and the chains or straps they used to tie the wheels down made a real mess of the tires I was also the first one down on car decks to stop this happening again. Is it just me being to precious with my van or dose anybody else think this way. Give me the tunnel any day.
    Nothing wrong in having pride in your van, and wanting to take care of it.
    You worked hard for the money to pay for it, so why not.
    If we all agreed there would be no discussion, and it would be a dull boring world.
    Likes Tezza33, Looser cruiser liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    CI Euro Riviera 100
    New Cars /vans ....Winter and spring time particularly you would be scared to death if you saw the number of vehicles repaired damaged in transit, It is no coincidence that there are very large bodyshops in Sheerness.
    Channa

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information