CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vans getting abused on ferries

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Dethleffs globetrotter lxi

Vans getting abused on ferries

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Just got home yesterday from a wee break in Holland we used the overnight crossing from Newcastle to Amsterdam not the cheapest but convenient saves a couple of days and a few Bob on diesel so probably balances out and you reach youíre destination fresh. Last couple of times going to France we used the tunnel what a difference hassle free. I donít know how many bam pots I had to stop squeezing between my van and the van opposite with big F off backpacks with all sorts of crap hanging of them in the end I ended up standing between the vans pretending to be in one of the lockers to divert these morons down a different route stayed there and was the last one out and the chains or straps they used to tie the wheels down made a real mess of the tires I was also the first one down on car decks to stop this happening again. Is it just me being to precious with my van or dose anybody else think this way. Give me the tunnel any day.
    OOR WUSSY

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Talbot Express
    I've always been of the opinion that vehicles are tools, and I'm as indifferent to getting my van scratched as I am my lawnmower.

I realise I'm fairly unique in this train of thought, and having a 30 year old van offers me some luxury to feel this way.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Adria Sonic Supreme
    Iíd feel the same ... v unhappy. Weíre lucky enough that the Tunnel is convenient for us. But the Greek ferries have given us serious palpitations - having to reverse on/ turn in a tight hold and all with big trucks doing the same within inches!
    Likes Looser cruiser liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Niessmann Bischcoff Arto 690E
    Quote Originally Posted by Looser cruiser View Post
    Just got home yesterday from a wee break in Holland we used the overnight crossing from Newcastle to Amsterdam not the cheapest but convenient saves a couple of days and a few Bob on diesel so probably balances out and you reach youíre destination fresh. Last couple of times going to France we used the tunnel what a difference hassle free. I donít know how many bam pots I had to stop squeezing between my van and the van opposite with big F off backpacks with all sorts of crap hanging of them in the end I ended up standing between the vans pretending to be in one of the lockers to divert these morons down a different route stayed there and was the last one out and the chains or straps they used to tie the wheels down made a real mess of the tires I was also the first one down on car decks to stop this happening again. Is it just me being to precious with my van or dose anybody else think this way. Give me the tunnel any day.
    Never used a ferry, Wully, always been the tunnel and, as you said, hassle free. Canít say you are wrong or a tad paranoid for wanting to protect your Dethleffs from these edjits that donít give a fook about your pride and joy.

Iíd say ferry company need some feedback from you. Proper lined routes to follow from car deck to upper decks, with emphasis on health and safety, as in, someone getting crushed between vehicles [hand brake not applied].

Same applies to nailing vehicles down, as in, damage to rubber and company has a duty of care to vehicles tyres.
    The value of a man should be seen in what he gives and not in what he is able to receive.
    Likes Looser cruiser, Fisherman liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Nope
    Quote Originally Posted by Clunegapyears View Post
    Iíd feel the same ... v unhappy. Weíre lucky enough that the Tunnel is convenient for us. But the Greek ferries have given us serious palpitations - having to reverse on/ turn in a tight hold and all with big trucks doing the same within inches!
    Weíve had that a few times to and from Greece but if you think thatís chaotic try the Ferries to and from Morocco. All adds to the fun though.

Pat

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Lunar Premier H622

We "live" near Windsor

Quote Originally Posted by Looser cruiser View Post
    Just got home yesterday from a wee break in Holland we used the overnight crossing from Newcastle to Amsterdam not the cheapest but convenient saves a couple of days and a few Bob on diesel so probably balances out and you reach you’re destination fresh. Last couple of times going to France we used the tunnel what a difference hassle free. I don’t know how many bam pots I had to stop squeezing between my van and the van opposite with big F off backpacks with all sorts of crap hanging of them in the end I ended up standing between the vans pretending to be in one of the lockers to divert these morons down a different route stayed there and was the last one out and the chains or straps they used to tie the wheels down made a real mess of the tires I was also the first one down on car decks to stop this happening again. Is it just me being to precious with my van or dose anybody else think this way. Give me the tunnel any day.
    Not actually in the castle ?

So even if sailing it would be Dover/Calais
    We do not like long ferry crossings..
    As you say the tunnel is relatively hassle free and convenient
    So tunnel for us almost 100%

Due to late booking we once use P&O and we were directed up a narrow curving ramp to a car deck

Not a happy chappy
    I complained but to no avail and complained again that my complaint was not taken seriously

So for us P&O stands for P1553D & Off !
    Last edited by jagmanx; 13-04-2019 at 06:28.
    Likes Clunegapyears liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Soon!!!
    Tunnel for us every time. Apart from the fact that the sea makes me throw up, the tunnel has minimal waiting, often get on early if had a fast trip down, and no problem if later than booked. It is pretty similar prices whenever I have compared. Plus so easy with the dog, quick and seems to be well organised.
    Likes Clunegapyears liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Chausson flash 510
    Quote Originally Posted by REC View Post
    Tunnel for us every time. Apart from the fact that the sea makes me throw up, the tunnel has minimal waiting, often get on early if had a fast trip down, and no problem if later than booked. It is pretty similar prices whenever I have compared. Plus so easy with the dog, quick and seems to be well organised.

I've used the tunnel once and agree it is less hassle than the ferry but it's always more expensive

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Sprinter
    50/50 here. Much prefer the tunnel, but depends on price difference when booking, anything up to £80 more, I'll take tunnel, if it's £80+ more, ferry. Usually like to cross about 8 PM, always have a good nap on train, then good for Tours or further if going south. That might change seeing as they've started to send tickets

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Hymer 584 Classic
    I try not to get on a ferry with a clean van, the dirtier the better so that they try not to touch it then I find a jet wash when I get off, a lot of people have no respect for the property of others these days
    Thanks harrow thanked for this post

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information