CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Money abroad

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Frankia i700 FD-VS

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Quote Originally Posted by Herbenny View Post
    Does the app let you know your balance ?
    Yes it does. And you can view your transactions.

I got a second card on the same account for the wife and also a spare card for us both 5 each for the spares. you can activate and deactivate on the app or online if you loose a card. i left a card at an ATM foolishly i was so annoyed at being charged for the transaction i walked away and left my card so when i realised a couple days later i deactivated it and was able to see if it had been used. i went to the bank next day and card had been handed in and was able to retrieve by showing passport. Then i reenabled for use.
    Were not here a long time so lets make it a good time
    Likes Herbenny, delicagirl liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Dont ask !!!
    Quote Originally Posted by delicagirl View Post
    By the way - the post office euro rates are .10 worse than thomas cook for example.... the euro has been going up recently so i am told - so we get more euros for pounds....

i changed my halifax debit card on my current account to another type of Halifax card Clarity (?) which has no currency surcharges or transaction charges when you use it for goods and services when abroad .... i link it to my halifax current account which pays off all the travelling expenses every month in full so i incur no current account bank charges either.

i do take cash and have interesting places to secrete it..... say no more !!
    Give us a clue Collette 😂

I have been picking my brains.. we have two lockable cupboards in the van ... too bloody obvious.
    Known me I will put in a place so safe and my menopause brain will forget 😂
    Rise free from care before the dawn
    and seek new adventures.....
    Likes delicagirl liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    High top van conversion
    Caxton FX for cash, can't use at unmanned petrol station,can use with cashier.
    Nationwide credit card for shopping and diesel if it's a better rate than we loaded Caxton card.
    Likes Herbenny liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Dethleffs globetrotter lxi
    Another one for the Caxton card been using it for years you can put other currencies on it at same time handy if visiting more than one country on the same trip.
    OOR WUSSY

Member Number
    Motorhome
    see picture
    Starling seems to be the best.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    N+B Arto 69GL(2003)
    We just carry cash which usually means Polish Zloty, Euros and GBP. We have accounts in all three currencies so I just change from my Sterling income when I see a good rate and draw the notes from the bank, which I do for normal living at home.

We also carry cards in all three currencies if we need them, but have never done so except for one 24/7 automatic filling station in France.

We have places to hide the cash and never carry much out of the MH and only an emergency card - plus out-of-date ones to give muggers

Geoff

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Hymer B698
    Halifax Clarity Credit Card. We spend half the year or more out of the UK and use this card for everything. There is no charge for cash withdrawals if you pay it off within 48 hours and you get the Bank Rate of the day. Others may give you the same rate but no-one will give you a better rate. We have been using it for more years than I can remember and have never had any problems - providing you take all the obvious safety measures. We have only had it refused on one occasion - at the paying aire in Biarritz, which seems to reject all British cards.

winks is offline Full Member
    Name: Harold
    Spouse: Roseann

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Hobby 750 (The Behemoth)
    Halifax Clarity card and Caxton for us. Always pay the Halifax card off immediately after drawing cash and have it set up to clear the balance every month.

Cheers

H

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Hymer 584 Classic
    Quote Originally Posted by jann View Post
    Caxton FX for cash, can't use at unmanned petrol station,can use with cashier.
    Nationwide credit card for shopping and diesel if it's a better rate than we loaded Caxton card.
    I use a CaxtonFX card and it does work at unmanned petrol stations, using the app I can check the balance and top up ready to spend, exchange rate is good as well

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Chausson 510 welcome
    Most credit cards are what’s called loaded.
    This means if you use them outwith your own country you pay an additional 3%.
    This even applies in the Irish republic.

You can get what’s called an unloaded card.
    These cards don’t have any payback on them, but when abroad you can use them as if you are at home.
    You can even use them to withdraw cash, and only pay interest of 1/12th your annual rate if you pay in full next payment.
    There are no charges for withdrawing cash, only the interest which is currently 1.2 %. Ie 1.20 for every 100
    But remember using a credit card to withdraw cash, can effect your credit rating.

I use the Halifax clarity card when abroad. There are no fees or annual charges, and it’s an unloaded card, so there is no 3% charge.

Here’s a link, take a look.

Halifax - Internet Banking
    Last edited by Fisherman; 15-04-2019 at 06:21.
    If we all agreed there would be no discussion, and it would be a dull boring world.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information