CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Money abroad

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Converted Citroen relay mwb

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    I have a Santander zero credit card for unmanned service stations or if haven't got round to topping up prepaid, usually as internet issues. Use either Caxton or Fairfax preloaded cards most of the time and for cash withdrawal. One hidden in van. Small as amount of cash also hidden but never used it. Several makes of prepaid cards ....the money saving expert site is good resource to decide.
    Likes Herbenny liked this post

Nabsim is offline Full Member
    Name: Nabs (Neil)
    Spouse: Caz

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Geist Phantom
    When I thought we were going to France in February I was concerned that funds could be held for days using unmanned fuel pumps so had a look on Money Saving Expert for pre pay cards. At that time the one that looked best for what I wanted was Revolut so I ordered one online.

It has an app and you can transfer money to the card just before you use it if you want to. You can do anything I can think you may want including setting an exchange rate where you want it to automatically buy or sell euros, (I thought they had clamped down on that years ago).

Look on the MSE site if you want a pre pay card and see what suits your intended usage best.
    Don't Worry, Be Happy

Wooie1958 is offline Cupid Stunt
    Name: Hey You
    Spouse: Yes M`Lady

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Compass Castaway 500 LL
    Something i forgot to mention

When using the auto / unmanned / 24-7 fuel stations they reserve the maximum amount of euros you can spend in one go on the credit card.

This differs from place to place and i`ve seen as little as 49 euros and as much as 160 euros per fill up reserved.

Once they collect the money ( which can be several days later ) only what you have actually spent on fuel comes off the card.

If you do several big fill ups on consecutive days when doing long distances this can add up to quite a large amount reserved against you card until they request it.

This has had an impact on us once when we had an emergency repair ( 1500 euros ) put on the card together with a few big fill ups.

It brought us perilously close to our limit so we had to ring up and pay a lump sum off so we could continue to use the card for fuel.

The credit card limit wasn`t that big as it was only for fuel but this almost caught is out so we increased our limit then there`s no chance of it happening again.
    Trust No One
    Likes DnK liked this post
    Thanks Herbenny thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Frankia i700 FD-VS
    Quote Originally Posted by Wooie1958 View Post
    Something i forgot to mention

When using the auto / unmanned / 24-7 fuel stations they reserve the maximum amount of euros you can spend in one go on the credit card.
    I try to avoid unmanned or auto or any service that takes more than the actual cost initially. I had one unmanned fuel station take a 150 initial fee then charged me 75 for the actual fuel cost so 225 initially for the fuel. It were 3 days before the 150 was credited.
    Were not here a long time so lets make it a good time

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Dont ask !!!
    WHAT !!!! 😱.... well that news to me so thanks for the heads up.
    I bet that catches a lot of people out
    Rise free from care before the dawn
    and seek new adventures.....

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Landrover Defender 110 Hard Top DIY conversion
    Last year I drove down to Corfu and back up again, took 200 euros and used cash for anywhere that wasn't a big name / hotel etc. Ran out very fast so found a big bank and used the ATM each time to top up. I made sure the bank had CCTV looking at the ATM.

Even in the uk I give the whole facia and the different parts of the ATM a good shuv pull and push. If anything seems loose / not right I walk away. Always cover your hand when entering your PIN.

When I travel with cash I try and split it across my daily wallet a backup wallet that stays in my bag / car - but well hidden and a muggers wallet with a small denomination of coins and one smallish value note - someone points a knife at me they get the smaller value wallet. In busy touristy areas try not to open your wallet and let the world see you have a lot of notes.

Most of all don't be scared don't over think it and use some good ole common sense and enjoy your travels

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Dont ask !!!
    Quote Originally Posted by jenks View Post
    Last year I drove down to Corfu and back up again, took 200 euros and used cash for anywhere that wasn't a big name / hotel etc. Ran out very fast so found a big bank and used the ATM each time to top up. I made sure the bank had CCTV looking at the ATM.

Even in the uk I give the whole facia and the different parts of the ATM a good shuv pull and push. If anything seems loose / not right I walk away. Always cover your hand when entering your PIN.

When I travel with cash I try and split it across my daily wallet a backup wallet that stays in my bag / car - but well hidden and a muggers wallet with a small denomination of coins and one smallish value note - someone points a knife at me they get the smaller value wallet. In busy touristy areas try not to open your wallet and let the world see you have a lot of notes.

Most of all don't be scared don't over think it and use some good ole common sense and enjoy your travels
    Thanks for that tip about having a separate (muggers) purse wallet.
    I will never know to this day how I got pick pockets in Switzerland ... I had a bag strapped to my waist and I thought I was being extra vigilant, Came out of some toilets and the whole lot had gone money cards passports, completely ruined my trip. Same thing in Rome on the metro, a young mother with a baby in a sling looking innoncent enough until she deliberately bumped into me and before I knew it I saw her hand in my bag ... luckily I caught her time.
    I like to think I'm hyper alert but obviously it takes just seconds.....
    Rise free from care before the dawn
    and seek new adventures.....

Wooie1958 is offline Cupid Stunt
    Name: Hey You
    Spouse: Yes M`Lady

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Compass Castaway 500 LL
    We don`t carry much cash so, because the Caxton FX ATM withdrawals are free it`s not a problem to only take out 20 or 30 euros as and when needed.

Some individual ATM`s do make a charge so make sure you look properly at the screen in the first place.

Sometimes when making a purchase you also get the opportunity to pay in either GBP`s or euros, always choose euros.
    Trust No One

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Autotrail Dakota 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by DnK View Post
    I try to avoid unmanned or auto or any service that takes more than the actual cost initially. I had one unmanned fuel station take a 150 initial fee then charged me 75 for the actual fuel cost so 225 initially for the fuel. It were 3 days before the 150 was credited.
    I have never had this happen in many extended over Winter trips to France, Spain and Portugal.

And I almost exclusively use unmanned pumps.

I use a Halifax Clarity card, MasterCard, and I wonder if this applies to other cards e.g. Visa.
    Remember - POI additions and updates can be sent by email to POI@wildcamping.co.uk

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Autotrail Dakota 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Herbenny View Post
    WHAT !!!! 😱.... well that news to me so thanks for the heads up.
    I bet that catches a lot of people out
    Not convinced this happens very often ...

Maybe it no longer does.
    Remember - POI additions and updates can be sent by email to POI@wildcamping.co.uk

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information