CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Money abroad

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Dont ask !!!

Money abroad

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    What do others do about spending money abroad.
    I'm reluctant to use my debit card after being scammed a couple of years ago. I may get a post office pre payment card although I'm sure there are charges for withdrawals. I would prefer to take all cash but then again don't think that's a good idea after being pick pocketed in Switzerland, not had much luck have I 😂

Are the sit office cards any good? Do most places take them ?
    Rise free from care before the dawn
    and seek new adventures.....

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Frankia i700 FD-VS
    Quote Originally Posted by Herbenny View Post
    What do others do about spending money abroad.
    I'm reluctant to use my debit card after being scammed a couple of years ago. I may get a post office pre payment card although I'm sure there are charges for withdrawals. I would prefer to take all cash but then again don't think that's a good idea after being pick pocketed in Switzerland, not had much luck have I 😂

Are the sit office cards any good? Do most places take them ?
    We use Caxton FX card which is a currency card you can load with any currency you wish. We have used this extensively in Europe both to purchase products and services via the card and for drawing cash from ATM's. There's supposed to be no charge for cash withdrawal but you will find some banks will charge for the transaction but your notified before finalising. We just find banks that don't charge.
    Were not here a long time so lets make it a good time
    Likes Herbenny liked this post
    Thanks Silver sprinter thanked for this post

Member Number
    Quote Originally Posted by DnK View Post
    We use Caxton FX card which is a currency card you can load with any currency you wish. We have used this extensively in Europe both to purchase products and services via the card .
    Is the Caxton card ok to use at unmanned outlets? We use a Brittany Ferries p/p Card and never had any problems except at unmanned fuel stations and some other places. Can't say about cash withdrawals as never tried

r4dent is offline Mostly Harmless
    Name: Pete
    Spouse: Liza

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Bailey Approach
    The only real way to avoid card scams is to use cash for every thing. Don't like this as it means having a load of cash hanging around.

Worse case scenarios :
    1) Credit card you could be scammed for up your Credit limit;
    2) Debit card you could be scammed for however much you have in the account plus any agreed overdraft;
    3) On a preloaded card the limit is how much you preload.

We use Starling Debit card on a current account with only has a couple of hundred pounds in it and no overdraft facility.
    With Starling there is no charge for using ATM or paying bills in UK or abroad.
    When the Starling account is running low we transfer money from our main account using the Starling app on our phones by scanning a card on our main account using the phone.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Frankia i700 FD-VS
    Quote Originally Posted by witzend View Post
    Is the Caxton card ok to use at unmanned outlets? We use a Brittany Ferries p/p Card and never had any problems except at unmanned fuel stations and some other places. Can't say about cash withdrawals as never tried
    we have not had any problems at unmanned outlets. Tolls, Garages etc.
    Thanks witzend thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Frankia i700 FD-VS
    Quote Originally Posted by r4dent View Post
    The only real way to avoid card scams is to use cash for every thing. Don't like this as it means having a load of cash hanging around.

Worse case scenarios :
    1) Credit card you could be scammed
    2) Debit card you could be scammed
    A lady at our bank gave us good advice re card scamming. Never let the card out of you sight when purchasing and when using ATM's try to waggle the card input unit and if theres any movement dont use it as it could have a scanner fitted.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Lunar Premier H622

You can buy 90%

Of things on a credit card
    Fuel Food even some aires
    BUT it has to be such as a post office credit card where there is no surcharge..

Lloyds debit card is close to a scam as you get 2 different charges

I have a post office foreign currency card (as suggested by others) but I rarely use it

I do not have other cards so no input

Take some cash and check how much your debit card may charge for more cash

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Dont ask !!!
    Thanks all
    I have just ordered a Caxton card and downloaded the app.
    Does the app let you know your balance ?
    Thanks very much for the tip DnK, I read some reviews and people don't seem to have any problems 👍
    Rise free from care before the dawn
    and seek new adventures.....

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Mitsubishi delica JB500
    By the way - the post office euro rates are .10 worse than thomas cook for example.... the euro has been going up recently so i am told - so we get more euros for pounds....

i changed my halifax debit card on my current account to another type of Halifax card Clarity (?) which has no currency surcharges or transaction charges when you use it for goods and services when abroad .... i link it to my halifax current account which pays off all the travelling expenses every month in full so i incur no current account bank charges either.

i do take cash and have interesting places to secrete it..... say no more !!
    Thanks Herbenny thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Pilote Motorhome on a Renault Master
    The Caxton FX card is good as you can load the card just before going to the cashpoint; so that if you lost it or it is stolen the thieves would just get the amount on it at that time. The only problem I have had with the Caxton card is that it only does a limited range of currencies. It does not do the Croatian Kuna.
    I also have a Halifax Clarity card for purchases. I have kept the credit level deliberately low and pay it off each month. As a spare there is also the Santander Zero card. When not using the cards they are in the safe in my van.
    Likes winks liked this post

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information